Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Close call this morning.

• 03-09-2013 9:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭

Front light on, with DRL's fitted and wearing hi-viz and this knob still fails to see me....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Chippy01

You could have been lit up like a Christmas tree, he was never going to see you at the angle he came out at.
    With that knowledge I would have backed off just a tad to let him out and then gone past him.
    I've seen and done the same every day. You have to think as they think sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭BuzzFish

Chippy01 wrote: »
    With that knowledge I would have backed off just a tad to let him out and then gone past him.

At 11 seconds he was in his correct filter lane (2 lanes to my left). At 12 seconds into the clip he was in front of me! When in this vast amount of time would I have a chance to "back off"? This was clearly a time for an emergency avoidance maneuver!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭thehomeofDob

What a knobend, other than that maybe being a regular occurrence at that junction there's no reason I would expect a car to do that. Expect the unexpected and all that, but there is really only so much you can predict based on past experience and good judgement. Did notice the little wave he gave after... twat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

at least he stuck his hand up to say sorry for almost ruining your day. What an idiot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

at least he stuck his hand up to say sorry for almost ruining your day. What an idiot.

Was it a hand or a finger!

I would have deffo pulled up beside him/her rapped the window and let them have it big time.

:mad::mad:

Well done in avoiding it all the same....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

My favourite part is how he hit on the brake straight after barely missing you as some sort of attempt to say sorry..... and of course in the process nearly had you run into the back of him. What a prick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Peanut2011

Ah I have to say out of every 5 days of commute in and out of work I would at least have 2-3 of those near misses a week. People simply don't look out for bikes.

Glad you are ok!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Absolute prick crossing the chevron road markings. I hope the next 10 seconds of video is you at his window calling him an arsehole. Braking early just makes it worse. You get that sometimes, idiots pulling out in front of you, you beep, so they panic and hit the brakes. Just to give you absolutly no chance of missing them!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

At least he was driving an Alfa Romeo.

Hes a true "petrol head" so....:pac::pac::D

Good reactions OP...well done.....at least you are safe/alive and able to tell the tale.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Chippy01

BuzzFish wrote: »
    At 11 seconds he was in his correct filter lane (2 lanes to my left). At 12 seconds into the clip he was in front of me! When in this vast amount of time would I have a chance to "back off"? This was clearly a time for an emergency avoidance maneuver!

I had another look at your vid. Actually, at 10 seconds he was starting over the chevrons. Two seconds later he was in front of you.
    Two seconds is plenty of time to throttle back.

Perhaps my 40+ odd years on two wheels has given me an instinct to anticipate idiotic behaviour like that driver pulled.

Ride like everyone is out to get you.

• Advertisement

paddy147 wrote: »
    At least he was driving an Alfa Romeo.

Hes a true "petrol head" so....:pac::pac::D

Good reactions OP...well done.....at least you are safe/alive and able to tell the tale.:)
    In my experience, most Alfa drivers are 50 year old skanger auld ones with yellow hair that don't realise you can go over 40mph.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Cienciano wrote: »
    In my experience, most Alfa drivers are 50 year old skanger auld ones with yellow hair that don't realise you can go over 40mph.

Ohhhh sounds like the ex burnt you mate!!!!

:pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Chippy01 wrote: »
    I had another look at your vid. Actually, at 10 seconds he was starting over the chevrons. Two seconds later he was in front of you.
    Two seconds is plenty of time to throttle back.

Perhaps my 40+ odd years on two wheels has given me an instinct to anticipate idiotic behaviour like that driver pulled.

Ride like everyone is out to get you.

People who wear camera's like to be involved in near misses!.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,060 ✭✭✭BKtje

Jesus what a tool. In 5 months of biking in Switzerland i haven't had a single problem. That said there are a lot of motorbikes here.

Accidents still happen though :(
    Went for a drive in the local mountains and on the way down the other side there was a cop directing traffic around the site of an (presumed) accident.

On the way back up the mountain after turning around, I ran into this blocking my way: (large images)
    http://imageshack.us/a/img31/4104/fsgo.jpg
    http://imageshack.us/a/img600/4386/dgld.jpg

Not something you see everyday. Hope the guy will be alright. His bike seemed alright so not sure if he had an accident or some medical issue.

Took a couple of photos near the top. Sorry for ****ty quality, phone's camera.
    http://imageshack.us/a/img841/2644/0zcp.jpg
    http://imageshack.us/a/img826/9749/0nlv.jpg
    http://imageshack.us/a/img191/4135/q8gz.jpg
    http://imageshack.us/a/img59/7305/homl.jpg
    http://imageshack.us/a/img22/6337/3rjv.jpg
    http://imageshack.us/a/img18/2420/uxea.jpg
    http://imageshack.us/a/img10/5413/2l9a.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Not going into lecture mode but one thing my instructor said to me years ago has always stuck with me. "You can't fix other peoples driving, only your own. If you have a near miss, look at what you could have done better, rather then what they did wrong."
    Peanut2011 wrote: »
    Ah I have to say out of every 5 days of commute in and out of work I would at least have 2-3 of those near misses a week. People simply don't look out for bikes.

I'm going to be bluntly honest here. If you are having 2-3 near misses a week you are going to end up in Hospital. I've only been on bikes for 3 more years then you and I could count the number of "near misses" on a yearly basis to get any real figure.

Please get some Advanced driving lessons before you end up another statistic. They are the best thing you could ever do on a motorbike and will put you years ahead in experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Peanut2011

I'm going to be bluntly honest here. If you are having 2-3 near misses a week you are going to end up in Hospital. I've only been on bikes for 3 more years then you and I could count the number of "near misses" on a yearly basis to get any real figure.

Please get some Advanced driving lessons before you end up another statistic. They are the best thing you could ever do on a motorbike and will put you years ahead in experience.

You have clearly missed my point, the only reason I am not a statistic is due to my actions. My point was that even when you stay in your own lane and maintain normal speed you see idiots who see that as an empty space.

I've learned to anticipate what other vehicles around me will do before they even start. I could have told you at the opening of that video what was likely to happen.

All I am saying is that you must ride with expectation that will happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Peanut2011 wrote: »
    You have clearly missed my point, the only reason I am not a statistic is due to my actions. My point was that even when you stay in your own lane and maintain normal speed you see idiots who see that as an empty space.

I've learned to anticipate what other vehicles around me will do before they even start. I could have told you at the opening of that video what was likely to happen.

All I am saying is that you must ride with expectation that will happen.

Good, because there is a big difference between having close calls and anticipating close calls.

Good, because there is a big difference between having close calls and anticipating close calls.
    Had a close call this morning. Was on the guinness last night and was driving into work. Just barely made it to the jacks in time.
    Luckily I anticipated it and didn't fart on the journey into work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭mb1725

Had a close call this morning. Was on the guinness last night and was driving into work. Just barely made it to the jacks in time.
    Luckily I anticipated it and didn't fart on the journey into work.

......... any video footage of that ? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Irishbob

Contact the law, show them the video. They have to act on this, the car broke a few laws there. Dangerous driving, crossing over a continous white line. Not using his mirrors or looking in his blind spot. My god, if u went 55km in a 50km zone u'd get a ticket and points. If u drove like that car driver u'd probably be banded.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭BuzzFish

Irony is I drive an Alfa 156 myself :-)

Irony is I drive an Alfa 156 myself :-)

A true petrolhead so....

Irishbob wrote: »
    Contact the law, show them the video. They have to act on this, the car broke a few laws there. Dangerous driving, crossing over a continous white line. Not using his mirrors or looking in his blind spot. My god, if u went 55km in a 50km zone u'd get a ticket and points. If u drove like that car driver u'd probably be banded.....

Yeah Im sure garda dibbles will go to the ends of the earth to have that 156 driver up in court...:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Scortho

Bit harsh, Also considering the op, is an alfa enthusiast.

mb1725 wrote: »
    ......... any video footage of that ? :D

No

Advertisement