Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ripping software

Options
  • 03-09-2013 10:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 33

I'm looking to back up all my DVDs to my 2 new 3T hard drives.
    i'm moving into an apartment and don't have the space.
    i've been looking at a lot of DVD Encryptions / Ripping softwares.
    i;ve tried the free DVD Shrink, but it doesn't seem to really shrink the DVD from 4 gig down to 2gig (or more)
    (maybe I am using it wrong)

I don't mind paying for a good piece of software that will do the trick.
    i want ot be able to watch them on my computer and take my hard drive with me to watch on a friends computer.

Any recommendations for me please.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

Try Handbrake (free) or DVDFab (not free).

But do you really want to "shrink" the DVDs? Storage is cheap, why compromise on quality?

I'm using HD Decrypter (DVDFab freebie) to save the DVDs as ISO files on HDD (many soft- and hardware media players support ISO, e.g. VLC or WD TV Live). Also saves a lot of time, depending on the hardware, encryption can be a very time consuming process.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

i;ve tried the free DVD Shrink, but it doesn't seem to really shrink the DVD from 4 gig down to 2gig (or more)

Any recommendations for me please.
    Thanks
    DVDShrink is only for shrinking a rip down to 4.7gb so you can burn onto a single layer disc afaik. Anyway as Torqay said re-encoding DVDs so that are actually smaller can very timeconsuming. I also rip everything to ISO. Very handy to have one file rather that all the .vob stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Ultimate Warrior

ok so let me ask this (maybe I was saying it wrong)
    there are sites you can download movies / TV shows from (i'm not saying I do it but there are)
    and those files are .avi or .mp4 files.

How do I get my DVDs to that format / size?

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Gyck

+1 for DVDFab. Not free but not exactly expensive. If you're planning to convert any sizable amount of DVDs then it's well worth the price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

Torqay wrote: »
    Try Handbrake (free) or DVDFab (not free).

But do you really want to "shrink" the DVDs? Storage is cheap, why compromise on quality?

I'm using HD Decrypter (DVDFab freebie) to save the DVDs as ISO files on HDD (many soft- and hardware media players support ISO, e.g. VLC or WD TV Live). Also saves a lot of time, depending on the hardware, encryption can be a very time consuming process.

How fast would your average dual layer dvd copy to ISO with this software?

Also, their website lists a bluray drive as being a system requirement for the DVDfab software. Will it work with a dvd drive?

How fast would your average dual layer dvd copy to ISO with this software?

Since there is no encoding involved, HD Decrypter is fast. How long it takes to copy the content of the DVD to the HDD depends on the speed of the optical drive. Writing the ISO takes only a few seconds then.
    Also, their website lists a bluray drive as being a system requirement for the DVDfab software. Will it work with a dvd drive?

If you want to copy Bluray disks, you'll need a Bluray drive, if not, a DVD drive will suffice. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

Torqay wrote: »
    Writing the ISO takes only a few seconds then.

Does the HD Decrypter write the ISO file or do you need additional software?

Does the HD Decrypter write the ISO file or do you need additional software?

HD Decrypter will create the ISO, no additional software required.

Right next to the Target drop-down menu, you'll see a Folder icon and a DVD icon. Click the Folder icon, select your destination folder and give it a name.

Advertisement