Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HMV reoppening in Scotch Hall Drogheda

Options
  • 03-09-2013 10:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭

Just walked by the old currys unit and seen all the HMV shelving and signage is being put up.
    Hilco must have gotten very good rates for the rent.

It'll be great to have Hmv back. And the fact that it would be 1 of 5 announced full store reoppenings must mean it was doing very well before the closures.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,679 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

The wife will be delighted... as I will head up to the centre with her now when she's doing the shopping ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭markc1184

They said last week they would be opening a shop within the Xtra-vision store towards the end of September.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Scotty #

They're flogging a dead horse! They'll be gone again within 12 months. CD's and DVD's are a thing of the past. How Xtravision is still going I don't know!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭rpurfield

nice one im glad its back anyway cant beat a good browse for a few hidden gems

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭SolvableKnave

Scotty # wrote: »
    They're flogging a dead horse! They'll be gone again within 12 months. CD's and DVD's are a thing of the past. How Xtravision is still going I don't know!

It's still going because people still use them, and want to use them. Not everyone has access to high speed internet to make movie streaming from Netflix or the likes a viable option (UPC Broadband only in very select areas, Fibre broadband only being rolled out recently). Not everyone has an i-Tunes account or an apple tv.

I still use them and I have the above. You just can't beat going into a bricks and mortar shop and having a look, same for HMV. Ask most people, they will say they miss going into HMV for a look. People where brought up going into places like HMV and Tower Records. It'll be a sad day when physical discs are discontinued. Nothing better than having your own collection of vinyl, cd's, DVD/BlueRay boxsets.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Awesome.

Wouldnt buy much music or DVD wise, but games wise, they were missed. I love going in to Scotch Hall on launch day of games and seeing how they and Gamestop compare. It wasn't unusually to find the two differing by €10 or having a free gift the others didn't. It was competition and that always helps.

Awesome.

Wouldnt buy much music or DVD wise, but games wise, they were missed. I love going in to Scotch Hall on launch day of games and seeing how they and Gamestop compare. It wasn't unusually to find the two differing by €10 or having a free gift the others didn't. It was competition and that always helps.

Gamestop are a complete rip-off. I remember before HMV closed down, they where both selling the special edition Halo 4 branded Xbox. All specs where exactly the same, and yet Gamestop where 30 quid more expensive. They are usually 5 to 10 quid more expensive on game discs. Don't be surprised if they close the shop in Scotch Hall by years end, or early next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭PGE1970

I'm old school and maybe a thing of the past also:D

I still buy CDs and DVDs and love a browse in, as i still call it, a record store. I don't own an ipad or an apple device of any sort. I like to watch tv programmes/movies on a TV and listen to music on, as I call it, my hi-fi!!

I'm in my 40s not some codgy old geezer. However, what i think is sad is that all of these shops are being lost to technology. I remember going into the Sound Shop on Friday evenings after school to look through the records and occasionally buying one to look cool in front of my pals. I remember spending Saturday afternoons in Caledonia and Rhino Records. Later, in Dublin, spending hours in Freebird and Comet Records. Opening the gatefold sleeve and reading the lyrics! Queuing up for hours to buy The Joshua Tree.

Picking up the odd obscure bargain in the 99p trolley. Buying the Waterboys and Prefab Sprout to look cool. I got the Four of Us to sign their album for me in the Sound Shop 2. Getting my first CD in 1991; it was a CD release of The Undertones debut album. I was chuffed; it cost me £12 when my weekly wage was about £80!

There isn't the same joy to ordering music online or getting it delivered virtually to your "device". Maybe not the memories also?

Hopefully, HMV will stay and people will still buy CDs but I do share your concern that their days are numbered. Similarly, I'm afraid, for book stores also which is tragic.

Maybe I am getting old; I'm off for a lie-down and a tablet (that's medicine to get rid of a headache; not some electronic notepad ;)).

Gamestop are a complete rip-off. I remember before HMV closed down, they where both selling the special edition Halo 4 branded Xbox. All specs where exactly the same, and yet Gamestop where 30 quid more expensive. They are usually 5 to 10 quid more expensive on game discs. Don't be surprised if they close the shop in Scotch Hall by years end, or early next year.

Once they survive till Nov 22nd, I'll be happy.

It's still going because people still use them...
    Errrr no it isn't. It's closed! It closed because it went into receivership.

It went into receivership because not enough people wanted CD's & DVD's and many of those that do just order online. Hilco have decided to buy it and reopen some stores. They will do this on the back of serious reductions from landlords and commercial rates. Once those concessions expire what then?

I'm not suggesting the move to digital/online is a good thing but it is the unfortunate reality of the 21st century! It's the same story with pretty much every type of retailer. Last year Ireland spent €4BILLION online on our Christmas Shopping. €3BILLION of that was on websites based outside of Ireland. That's a whooping amount to take off the high street and out of the country. This year it will be more as more and more people move to shopping online. AMAZON sold $36BILLION! worth of books last year and for the first time ever sold more digital than paper. They will never ever again sell more paper than digital. Retail (bricks & mortar) in this country (and most countries for that matter) is in serious serious trouble and I don't think there is any solution.

You know that bargain department store that was on Narrow West Street. They were given €0 commercial rates and €0 rent and they still couldn't turn enough to stay open, and that's on the main street in the largest town in Ireland. Lawrences Centre would be closed if it weren't for NAMA keeping it open.

There may be enough business for a little back street record store here and there to survive but the days of the Virgin Megastores and HMV's is over, at least on the street anyway. I hope I'm wrong, but I give HMV 12 months tops.

Drogheda's (and Ireland's) future is in tourism and agriculture imo. West Street should have been turned into a 100% pedestrian street with cafe's and bar's and target the over 30's on a weekend away. Similar to Kilkenny and Galway. As it is now they've destroyed it and wasted millions ta'boot!

• Advertisement

Errrr no it isn't. It's closed! It closed because it went into receivership.

It went into receivership because not enough people wanted CD's & DVD's and many of those that do just order online. Hilco have decided to buy it and reopen some stores.

HMV Ireland went into receivership because all the debt of HMV UK was loaded onto it. HMV Ireland, on it's own, was actually doing pretty well, but because of the way the UK Head Company was run, with putting all debts on the Irish subsidiary (and this is done by a lot of companies because of the corporate tax laws) when the HMV UK got into trouble, HMV ireland was doomed. Now that that "Anvil around the neck" has been removed, and the fact that both HMV Ireland and Xtra Vision have come out of receivership, they will last longer than 12 months, IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭PGE1970

Scotty,

I think everything that you've said is right and the figures certainly add weight to your statement.

However, it's lamentable that the High Street in Ireland is being decimated for all sorts of reasons namely online competition and high operating costs. Change is inevitable, I remember my parents throwing their eyes to heaven at the amount of time that I spent on my Amstrad CPC464 (Jet Set Willy, Daley Thompson Decathlon, Knight Lore et al - google them!!) or the hours spent wasting my time on my walkman "listening to rubbish".

People buy booze in supermarkets and pubs are dying, music and book shops are closing. Where does that leave libraries? Where will the social interaction be? Will children prefer to buy Fifa on xbox rather than go out to kick a ball?

All because of Amazon! Go out and buy a CD; keep Ireland moving.

By the way, wholeheartedly agree with your view on West Street; a great opportunity missed.

HMV Ireland went into receivership because all the debt of HMV UK was loaded onto it.
    HMV Ireland and HMV UK are two completely separate companies. I'm not sure how one can load debt on the other. As I understand it HMV Ireland was no longer a viable company hence receivership (as opposed to Administration) but I'm no expert on this and could be completely wrong.
    the fact that both HMV Ireland and Xtra Vision have come out of receivership...
    HMV didn't come out of receivership. It was liquidated and the brand name was sold to Hilco. Two very different outcomes.

Time will tell. I do hope you are right.

HMV Ireland and HMV UK are two completely separate companies. I'm not sure how one can load debt on the other.
    Yeah it was reported at the time that HMV Ireland had debts of around 2 to 3 hundred million( I think). It turned out that this was related to the HMV UK business. I think HMV Ireland was the one who borrowed this money, but it was immediately passed on to the UK Brand
    HMV didn't come out of receivership. It was liquidated and the brand name was sold to Hilco. Two very different outcomes.
    Misunderstanding on my part there. Knowing that Hilco where involved with both, I just lumped them into the same category
    Time will tell. I do hope you are right.
    So do I.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭andrew1977

Even if it does reopen in sctoch hall, dont forget to give some of your custom to CD world in Drogheda town centre.
    The last remaining independent music store in our area and worth giving him the few quid if you can.
    Keep the cash local if you can and I am sure he would be glad of the custom where possible.
    Myself and my young lad regulary buy in there and his prices can be very good on music albums.

I always felt CD World's DVD prices were over the top, and their selection on games is atrocious...

CD World (All CD World, not just the one in Town Centre) have never really had a wide variety of music or DVDs (certainly not compared to HMV or Virgin), and their selection of games, for me, was worse than atrocious.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭blingrhino

CD World (All CD World, not just the one in Town Centre)

there only is one cd world.

blingrhino wrote: »
    CD World (All CD World, not just the one in Town Centre)

there only is one cd world.

Ah your right sorry, I was thinking of Golden Discs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Tramps Like Us

It's still going because people still use them, and want to use them. Not everyone has access to high speed internet to make movie streaming from Netflix or the likes a viable option (UPC Broadband only in very select areas, Fibre broadband only being rolled out recently). Not everyone has an i-Tunes account or an apple tv.

I still use them and I have the above. You just can't beat going into a bricks and mortar shop and having a look, same for HMV. Ask most people, they will say they miss going into HMV for a look. People where brought up going into places like HMV and Tower Records. It'll be a sad day when physical discs are discontinued. Nothing better than having your own collection of vinyl, cd's, DVD/BlueRay boxsets.

I'll go in and have a look alright, then come home and download it rather than be extorted like HMV used to do

• Advertisement

Ah your right sorry, I was thinking of Golden Discs.

I remember a few years ago in HMV in The Pavillions shopping centre in Swords asking for a particular CD and being told "if it's not on the shelf then we don't have it". I left and went in to check with Golden Discs which was right across the hall. The girl behind the counter in there had a look on the system and said "sorry, we don't have it. Would you like me to order it in for you?" I said yes and she took my number. Two days later she called me to say it would be in the store the following day. That was the last time I was in a HMV.

Are you sure it is going to be a HMV store? I was in Scotch Hall earlier and all the poster says is "New music store opening in Autumn".

Cant really see them opening in SH as well as the place inside Xtra-vision.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Mr Cumulonimbus

Irish Times piece on HMV reopening:

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/sectors/retail-and-services/hmv-reopens-henry-street-store-in-dublin-1.1518408

Drogheda (as well as Dundalk) due to get a dual branded Xtravision/HMV outlet. HMV only stores are in Dublin and Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,359 ✭✭✭positron

I can't believe XtraVision hasn't gotten into streaming business. Isn't that the natural progression for their business for future?

positron wrote: »
    I can't believe XtraVision hasn't gotten into streaming business. Isn't that the natural progression for their business for future?

You would imagine so, but they would be competing with the likes of iTunes and Netflix. If they could carry their deals over to the streaming service, then that would be fantastic. The one main barrier to this would be money. The cost of getting the infrastructure in place to accommodate such a move would be prohibitive, at the moment anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,359 ✭✭✭positron

Well, I can't see their current business model surviving another 24 months. They already have systems in place to get the material to stream, they have a rapidly diminishing customer base, and a brand name that is very well known with plenty of local presence and signage etc etc. I hope they are not going to be the next Kodak.

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭WindmillWarrior

so anyone know when HMV is likely to reopen in Xtravision?

so anyone know when HMV is likely to reopen in Xtravision?

Press release said the twin stores should all be in place before the end of September but nothing on show here yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭blingrhino

do you think they are going to open a large instore shop?

i doubt it , hilco will open a very small section -if any - with a mixture of of other products i would imagine.

• Advertisement
Advertisement