Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are people scared of how they would be perceived if they weren't working long hours?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

the font on that page is giving me a headache.
    But, yeh there's definitely a mad perception that the person who stays longest in the office is obviously the hardest worker.
    In my experience this is very rarely the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭OnTheCouch

Very much so. That article, even though it's horrendous to read because of the font, is quite on the money.

There is a continuing school of thought, which even since the 1990s seems to have become a lot more prevalent, where you need to be seen be to working long, gruelling hours in order to be perceived as a respectful member of society. I like to call the cult of being busy, there are many articles written about it online, so this is not something which has occurred to me alone.

This is not the case for everyone of course, but large amounts of people I know seem to look down at those who don't have full-time jobs, pursue education or other interests over the age of 21 and those, like mentioned in the article, who tend to change employment frequently.

Even in a time of financial crisis, job-hunters are not spared.

I also notice those who do part-time work, which is clearly better than nothing, trying to make out that they have a full-time schedule and all the associated pressures involved with this. Again, I can see why, but I feel it's societal pressures which have led them to act this way.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Fuchsia123

Interesting to hear your views, I definitely agree it's become a case of whoever has the last coat on the hanger in the evening wins...though harassing everyone with endless midnight emails can backfire into making you a bit unpopular. I wrote the piece, it's a new website so I hope you don't mind if I bore you with a technical question...lol the font! I must be blind I never noticed it, is it displaying in a weird way or is it just really hard to read? Do you mind me asking which browsers you use eg Mozilla, Google Chrome? I've had problems with pictures disappearing on me on Internet Explorer. Don't want to be driving away my audience now :)

EDIT: I've changed it. Any better? I should add that my laptop screen has been broken for the last while and I'm using my TV screen, lol it's nice to get some perspective!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

What's the problem with the font? :confused: It's a little big but other than that, I like it? Looks like Cambria or Georgia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭allibastor

I know people who want to be the last out of the office no matter what cause it makes them look like they are working. The will be on facebook or some rubbish for most of the day and only do work when they are being watched.

Unfortunatly being the last man out does have a benifit as bosses will think you are great, unless they manage to check your overall prodictvivity.

• Advertisement
Advertisement