Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eucalptus tree

• 03-09-2013 11:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭

Hi, looking for some advice, I have a eucalptus tree in my back yard, at least 40 ft high, I'm afraid it's gettin too high as its pretty close to the house, so I want to reduce its height, I'm afraid in doing so ill be left with a few bits of wood and no leaves as the all the leaves are on top t the moment. Any ideas please.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭periodictable

There should be no problem-it's unlikely you'll kill the tree.
    Eucalypts have shoot buds embeddded in their trunks-this is a survival technique against fires.
    I'd prefer to do the job in the springtime once the cold weather has gone,given the recent severe winters. Leaving a cumulative large exposed cut surface on the tree might leave it open to freezing of the cambium and this will kill the tree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭JR23

There should be no problem-it's unlikely you'll kill the tree.
    Eucalypts have shoot buds embeddded in their trunks-this is a survival technique against fires.
    I'd prefer to do the job in the springtime once the cold weather has gone,given the recent severe winters. Leaving a cumulative large exposed cut surface on the tree might leave it open to freezing of the cambium and this will kill the tree.

Thanks for the advice, I'll leave it till the spring time so and cut it right down, that way I can manage it more like a bush type tree! What you think!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

It may be worth getting the tree assessed by an arborist before letting fear take hold and you rashly remove or top a sound and loved tree.

Removing more than a third of the tree when topping could also kill it.

There will be large wounds that following topping that mean constant management as the joins between the new shoots and the old trunk will be very weak.

A eucalyptus will look very ugly, as it is a sparse enough tree, if you top it.

If the tree is unsound it may be better to consider removal in that instance and to replant a more appropriate tree for the site.

Any pruning of the tree is best carried out mid winter and then secondly mid summer

Thanks old tree for your advice, I completely agree with you on the aesthetics of tree once it's been topped. I think I'm better going in and taking a good chuck out of it rather than take a little off the top as it it'll be a big job either ways.

• Advertisement

Should u decide to "coppice it" it will probably regrow from the stump. What I would say is that a lot of eucalyptus died here in Ireland due to adverse winter conditions making your 40 ft specimin even more special.

Oldtree wrote: »
    Should u decide to "coppice it" it will probably regrow from the stump. What I would say is that a lot of eucalyptus died here in Ireland due to adverse winter conditions making your 40 ft specimin even more special.

Don't get me wrong, I love the tree but its too big for the garden, I'm afraid a storm will knock it over into the garden or worse still the house. I think to coppice it would be the best option, I'm just happy it has a chance of coming back after the surgery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

JR23 wrote: »
    Don't get me wrong, I love the tree but its too big for the garden, I'm afraid a storm will knock it over into the garden or worse still the house. I think to coppice it would be the best option, I'm just happy it has a chance of coming back after the surgery.

Yes, often they have been planted in completely unsuitable situations. People see a tiny stem of a thing, and can't picture how big they can get.

Yep, Eucalyptus can get big...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Some very tall Eucalyptus Trees growing in Mount Usher Gardens in County Wicklow.Beautifull gardens to wander around in and enjoy.:)

Also several of them growing along the sides of the Malahide Road....these have been recently cut back and some large overhanging branches removed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,675 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Eucalyptus can blow over, a neighbour's medium sized tree, planted far too close to the house and already much taller than a dormer bungalow, blew over recently, fortunately it slotted tidily into the only big enough space for it to fall!

Any tree can be blown over!

I love having an opportunity to stick this picture up again:

genetically modified eucalyptus

270312.jpg

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2012/nov/15/gm-trees-bred-world-energy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

A very unsuitable, disruptive and dangerous tree for most urban gardens.

Personally I think they are ugly.

A very unsuitable, disruptive and dangerous tree for most urban gardens.

Personally I think they are ugly.

[SIZE=+2]t_pic.gif[/SIZE]HANKFUL, my country, be to him who first
    Brought hither from Australia oversea
    Sapling or seed of the undeciduous tree
    Whose grave and sombre foliage fears no burst
    Of heat from summer-naked heavens, nor thirst
    Though all the winter is rainless, and the bee
    Starves, finding not a blossom. Patiently
    The great roots delve, and feel though deep-immersed
    Some layer of ancient moisture, and the leaves
    Perish not, hanging pointed in the sky.
    To see these lofty trunks gray-barked and broad
    Wall with clear shade a long white southern road
    I have been as one devoted, who receives
    An impulse or a promise from on high.
    [SIZE=-1]Robinson Jeffers[/SIZE]

Lovely, beauty is in the eye of the beholder....:D

Eucalypts have a wide range of very interesting bark colors and flowers. I have been told that their leaves turn away (ie sideways) from the sun to conserve water. I would love one but sadly over the last few years many mature specimins have died off in this area so I have been put off.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Oldtree wrote: »
    Lovely, beauty is in the eye of the beholder....:D

Eucalypts have a wide range of very interesting bark colors and flowers. I have been told that their leaves turn away (ie sideways) from the sun to conserve water. I would love one but sadly over the last few years many mature specimins have died off in this area so I have been put off.

Next time you are over Wicklow way,then stop off and visit Mount Usher Gardens.

You would love it,so you would.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

In their native habitat they might appear from a long distance a thing of beauty and beautiful only because the surrounding area tends to be parched bush/scrub where little of any consequence grows.

If you ever visit Australia and venture out into the bush, you will understand exactly what I mean.

Why anyone would want to plant such a terrible sprawling tree in a cultivated space is beyond me. Each to their own.

The perception of beauty is subjective.
    Have seen eucalypts in Australasia and beyond.
    How one can dismiss 700 species of trees ranging from 1m to 100m in height, with varying bark types, flowers, leaf shape and color, and crown shape is beyond me! We'll have to agree to differ.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭inocybe

To me they're a waste of a tree space in such a deforested country. Native trees support hundreds of species of invertebrates and fungi, above and below ground, as well as birds. And they look like they belong.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Ah now, they are a lovely tree alright. It's all abut variety in an ornamental garden. My parents have three differernt ones I think. There is what *used* to be one I think, in the front garden I just took over. They must have cut it recently, shoots of blue new growth coming up from the stump.

As well as being a nice colour, they smell great when you cut them for wreaths or vases.

They just need a bit of space is all. But I'd say the same for Ash trees.

Another interesting point is that the juvenile leaves differ from the adult leaves.

Why anyone would want to plant such a terrible sprawling tree in a cultivated space is beyond me. Each to their own.

plantsmen/women are interested in the plants themselves and not just the asthetic in a "oft repeated ad nausium" so called "this is how it is done" cultivated space. Does that help?:D

"Roses are red and green leaves are green" name that tune???:rolleyes:

pwurple wrote: »
    Ah now, they are a lovely tree alright. It's all abut variety in an ornamental garden. My parents have three differernt ones I think. There is what *used* to be one I think, in the front garden I just took over. They must have cut it recently, shoots of blue new growth coming up from the stump.

As well as being a nice colour, they smell great when you cut them for wreaths or vases.

They just need a bit of space is all. But I'd say the same for Ash trees.

Most trees need space to form a mature specimen. This is generally overlooked. So I usually call trees planted in the wrong place "utility trees" as they will have a short life span. Saying that I do not have a problem with someone planting a tree to see how it grows and enjoy it while its utility lasts, as long as they are aware of the utility issue.;)

It is quiet another issue o be lead up the garden path by a salesman.

Yep, vital to have the right trees in the right places.

Advertisement