Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nutrient timing and hormone levels

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

schwalbe wrote: »
    Are there optimal times for getting the main body of sleep,as in if I sleep between midnight and 7 am is this better than say 4 am and 11 am?And if so is there much of a difference?
    And if so what is the worst sleep cycle to have?

It's important to try and sleep at the same time every day. Or at least have 4 hours of anchor sleep. So if normally sleep 11pm to 7am and something changes then try to have at least 4 hours overlap with that time frame.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭JimmyR

It depends who you are, what you are doing, what you've done previously, how long you've been doing it for, how old you are, what sex you are, what purpose you are doing it for and on and on the list goes.

This is interesting, I'll give you my opinion from reading the likes of Alan Aragon and maybe you can tell me if I'm on the right track with my opinion.

1. Who you are? Gaelic footballer
    2. What you are doing? Tuesday night Gaelic football training session, 1hr 30mins.
    Includes 15 minute warm up, 15 minutes of speed and agility drills, almost an hour of ball drills and conditioned games
    3. What you've done previously? Played game on Saturday, trained previous Friday, training again Friday and match Saturday. 3 weight training sessions, Monday, Wednesday, Sunday 45 minutes each with Sundays involving a lot of mobility and flexibility, more of a recovery session.
    4. How old are you? Can I use three example if there is a difference 20 , 26, 33
    5. What sex are you? Male
    6. What are you doing it for? Training to improve performance, nutrition to help ensure full recovery.

My opinion would be that the most important thing is that players meet their calorie needs with an adequate balance of protein, carbs and fat.

There are benefits to eating after training and while I wouldn't tell some not to, they should prioritise meeting there daily needs and if they are not meeting those then recovery is going to be hampered even if they eat soon after training.

The 15-30 minute window is more of way of getting people more compliant when it comes to ensuring they eat enough, it's amazing how diligent people are to post workout nutrient when they think their muscles might disappear. But in reality it just helps to ensure that you get nutrition in quickly after a session before you forget about it or life gets in the way. For example a footballer travelling back to Dublin from Roscommon on a Tuesday night might not be bothered eating until the morning, not ideal if he intends having a weights session on the Wednesday and this becomes a regular routine.

Advertisement