Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are tumble dryers now mandatory for rental apartments?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Are you not allowed offer unfurnished apartments in Ireland?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,380 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

fussyonion wrote: »
    Pawwed Rig, do you not have a freezer at all? :confused:

No:(
    To be fair we knew when we moved in that there was none and discussed whether we could live with that or not and decided we could. It hasn't really been too much of an issue as we buy what we want and consume it within a reasonable amount of time. The only thing I miss is having no tubs of icecream in the house but that is probably for the best.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I don't think so.

Yeah leaving out the washing for a few hours makes a huge difference, overnight is handy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

enda1 wrote: »

You can, but they're very thin on the ground. They tend to go very quickly, IME.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭whatnext

ted1 wrote: »
    .7kw*10*.19c=1.33€ per day @ 10 hours or 43c if on for 20mins per hour
    so between €3 per week and €9.31 per week.
    =between €156 and €484 per year

i'd like to see them on a logger to see what the actual usage is like. I suspect that the usage is more than 20mins per hour

few people actually have night rates.

in summary its abotu 3 times dearer than you think but it could be 9.3 times dearer. then if its left on for 24 hours its even more

Mine is a 200w appliance.
    My annual electricity bill is less than €1,500 for the entire 2 bed apartment with storage heating (usually around 200 never over 300. bi monthly). no gas. Two adults one child / baby. So with the washing machine on every day, a full tank of water every day, cooking, microwave, TV etc I cant see how it could be anywhere remotely near the figures you quote. Could be wrong.
    The thing only clicks in when the humidity level rises, and cuts off automatically.
    Also - "most" newish apartments that have storage heaters have the night rate meter. Well any have lived in or owned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

enda1 wrote: »

You can offer unfurnished to a point but the regulations state that you must provide items such as a fridge/freezer, cooker, microwave, means to wash and dry clothes etc, so its not like you can offer a completely bare property.

That said, there isnt going to be an inspector randomly knocking the door to check, so if a tenant has all their own appliances, so if they can find a property that is truely unfurnished and they are happy to use their own equipment then there wont be an issue. From a landlords point of view though they need to be prepared to provide it unless the tenant agrees otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

You can, but they're very thin on the ground. They tend to go very quickly, IME.

You can't get a completely unfurnished place as they require cooker, fridges, freezers, microwave and dryer if no outside space.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    No:(
    To be fair we knew when we moved in that there was none and discussed whether we could live with that or not and decided we could. It hasn't really been too much of an issue as we buy what we want and consume it within a reasonable amount of time. The only thing I miss is having no tubs of icecream in the house but that is probably for the best.

I don't know why but my heart goes out to you for some reason!

I'm picturing you there, surrounded by a mountain of food, eating it all before it goes off :(
    I checked Gumtree there and there's some fairly decent freezers for sale, not too expensive either.

I want to look after you now, I've gone all Mammy-ish!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,380 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Haha We're fine. We are just more conscious of expiry dates and that so food (meat) lasts in the fridge. Other than that we stick to fresh veg rather than frozen and come Thurs and Fri it is take away time anyway. We very rarely throw food out though as we tend to use everything we buy in the normal course of meals. So no need for Mammying. Unless you have icecream? I miss icecream:(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Haha We're fine. We are just more conscious of expiry dates and that so food (meat) lasts in the fridge. Other than that we stick to fresh veg rather than frozen and come Thurs and Fri it is take away time anyway. We very rarely throw food out though as we tend to use everything we buy in the normal course of meals. So no need for Mammying. Unless you have icecream? I miss icecream:(

Aw yeah I have ice-cream..Actually Aldi do some very nice tubs that are soft-scoop so you could buy one and eat it all straight away!

It sounds like you're doing alright without a freezer and I suppose you're right, you wouldn't be throwing anything out.

I dread to think what's in the depths of my freezer and I keep adding to it every week :o

• Advertisement
Advertisement