Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Draft Chat Thread **Read the 1st Post**

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭madalig12

Wheeden!!! He's in dangerous hands now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Good man linebacker, you've gotten a good team

Run T Rich behind Joe Thomas and Alex Mack your center and you're laughing.
    Josh Gordon is a good young WR and will get XP every year

On D Jackson MLB, Haden CB and Ward SS will see you right

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    Add Miles Austin to that and DeMarco Murray's run game and I couldn't look anywhere else.

Although this was my draft board:

ORku0LJ.jpg?1

Mine was:

1) Cowboys
    2) Saints
    3) Chiefs
    4) Rams
    5) Lions

At #20 I thought that would be pretty realistic for who might fall to me, and so it turned out with only 2 of the 5 gone when it was my pick.

Panthers, Lions, Dolphins, Rams etc are some great options for someone to pick up if they join the league.

I thought it was a lot tougher to pick this year as free agency and the draft really closed the gap between the lower ranked teams and the top ranked teams, in terms of Madden, meaning a lot of good teams fell down the board.

guns4all wrote: »
    If it is the 75 man roster why were we waiting till after the week 1 update to start the league?

Also will still have to do cuts with the updated rosters.
    Its just with the preseason rosters the Patriots dont have TE Sudfeld and WR Thompson and the stats for the rookie WR arent that great, and i will be lumped with crap like M Jenkins, D Jones and D Fells that will get cut anyway but may cost more in cap room.

Most of us had been playing H2H and the Cup comp with the updated rosters as well, and to have to go back to pre season versions would make a difference to the way we play.

But thats just my take on it

That's a good point actually, especially the last one about playing with different types of players due to the rosters.

I think it was determined ages ago that pre-season would be part of the franchise as lots of people like to do the cuts etc. The reason for the wait in starting is, I presume, because it's hoped that there will be a patch to fix a few things such as problems with the accelerated clock with the week one update.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭linebacker52

madalig12 wrote: »
    Wheeden!!! He's in dangerous hands now!
    Came down to a choice between the rams and browns for me.

In the end the browns won out they have some good players plenty of cap space to rebuild the weaker positions plus i don't have to face the 49ers and seahawks twice a season. In any other division i think the rams would go a lot higher.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

It's 53 man rosters. I've joined a league on PFL and they are the shortened rosters, Tebow as Free Agent etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭nerd69

feck the eagles were not picked now im tempted :mad:

nerd69 wrote: »
    feck the eagles were not picked now im tempted :mad:

Go for it mate, you know you want to! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭HowAreWe

so am I the only one who wanted to pick up the steelers?

I know it's not the same team as 2-3 years ago.....but...is there something I should know.... :pac:

It's because it'll be murder trying to get out of the AFC North ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Yeah nerd, Vick is calling!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭nerd69

I wish I'd love to but I'd miss half the games :(

Lads how long are the games?

I've played both Perrin and Pudsy in 6/7 minute quarter games and I hadn't a hope so found it a bit tedious rather quick.
    I could take short games beatings as it becomes more tactical and luck can play a part, but if the games are long I think I'd find it a bit disheartening sitting for 30mins getting my ass handed to me as I don't stand a chance in a long game.
    I got a lower team as well. though even if I'd the best team I'd still lose comfortably.

Mainly playing UT now and have a 79 rated team, I can beat the computer more often than not at Pro, but they can win as well. Have won a few of the All-Pro games but lost just as many. In the online section I went 4-6 in my only season.

Realistically, I'm going to need to play this a few months before trying to take on experienced players.
    I havent watched much of the sport so my baseline was low enough trying to start a new sports game.

I think I'll just plug away with the offline UT for another while and hopefully it starts to make sense after a while as of now I can't pass for my life(constantly throwing it to stupid areas and having it picked, which is the cause of most of my AI losses) and the differences in formation and defence and the pre play countering still have a long way to go to make sense.

I'm sure some of ye will be moving to PS4(I'm taking the cheaper console) and will upgrade to the proper M25 so by then I should be at least passable to join in proper around here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭PADRAIC.M

Hey mate, when I started here this time last year I was in the same boat every pass I threw was either incomplete or intercepted, you learn far more playing the lads here then playing CPU. It is a huge learning curve and alot of it is just getting used to a certain playbook of a certain team...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

@gilberto , believe me i 100% get what you are saying but... after a year of playing the CPU you will join and the league and be in the same position you are now.

You will only get better by playing against human opponents and yes you may get spanked but i guarantee that by the end of the first season you will have made vast improvements.

And to be honest we are a casual enough league the guys here will give advice if you are doing something ridiculously bad (like blitzing on every play and getting beaten deep)

We also dont run up the score, so if you are 30 points behind in the 3rd, your opponent will consistently run the ball and then punt, its not fun for anyone hammering another person by 70 points

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭giffney1991

Pusey was saying you don't have a mike!when you get one of those...advice will come flowing! I was the raiders last year and after a shocking 1st season I made the divisional playoff the next season!

When you are getting walloped just go all out blitz

You will still lose but you get the satisfaction of knocking out their half back....and then the backup.

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Can i just say from personal experience i would'nt quit, i was the interception king when i started playing here, and my defense was mush and still is, (on my part) i wanted to quit a couple of times after games but didnt and the more i played the less INT's ive thrown and i have figured out a couple of defensive systems that ive stook to, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesnt but this past season i actually made the playoffs :-)

Stick at it, you will be surprised how much you improve from this season to next season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Berty44

Gilberto I am going to be in the same division as you and as anyone has played me over the years knows I do like a good chat. As guys will also tell you I will give you advice. First thing however you do need a mic. To be honest you might as well be playing the CPU, and a very good CPU team as playing someone online without a mic. Lose online without a mic and you will feel like smashing your controller, losing online after a chat and you will firstly have a better understanding of why you lose and secondly you will have definitely had a bit of craic along the way.

I absolutely guarantee you that in six months time you will look back and be amazed at all the stuff you have learned.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 6,332 Mod ✭✭✭✭PerrinV2

^^
    What Berty said,also you're in luck landing in Bertys division,when I started playing last year I was in his division too,even though he'd win our games well he would always be helpful during the game,advice on things I might be doing wrong,things I should be trying out in practice,what defense is better in what situation,helped that he was a really nice guy to boot.

Funnily enough I was had a search through the forum of some of the stuff I was posting when I was starting out
    PerrinV2 wrote: »
    Need to learn off some off those running defenses,got destroyed earlier by Padraig and his running game
    PerrinV2 wrote: »
    Good game pudsy,I quite enjoyed that.
    I was tyring out some new defense and I actually thought it did alrite despite the score.
    I think I pretty much lost the game on my own offense,6 interceptions and and fumbles which all lead to scores.
    I was throwing some mad stuffpacman.gif
    So ya basically I had no idea how to stop the run, was throwing interceptions for fun and getting hammered...but look at me now
    51s5.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Need to get myself a new Brian Orakpo sid :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭The_Gatsby

mikemac1 wrote: »
    When you are getting walloped just go all out blitz

You will still lose but you get the satisfaction of knocking out their half back....and then the backup.

;)

Calm down Sean Payton!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

I just noticed looking at the whose who that nobody took Detroit and Megatron :eek:

I just noticed looking at the whose who that nobody took Detroit and Megatron :eek:

If the Saints had been gone when it came to my pick I would have picked either them or the Lions.

Problem with the Lions is they have an awful cap situation of which almost half is taken up by three players (Megatron, Suh and Stafford) meaning you would probably have to lose one (Suh) and still have difficulties.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Nelbert

Yeah I couldn't believe I had the choice between Vikings, Broncos and Lions. Thought they'd be long gone by the time I picked!

Whats the story with playing pre season games?.

Also what are the rules on trading?.

I only have one FB who's fairly poor, and think I've too many WR/CB/TE can I stick players up for trade?.
    Also what are the general numbers needed for each position

4 QB's
    6 TE
    6 WR
    7 CB
    4 FS

Surely thats too many of each, and I've only 1 C and FB then.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Whats the story with playing pre season games?.

Also what are the rules on trading?.

I only have one FB who's fairly poor, and think I've too many WR/CB/TE can I stick players up for trade?.
    Also what are the general numbers needed for each position

4 QB's
    6 TE
    6 WR
    7 CB
    4 FS

Surely thats too many of each, and I've only 1 C and FB then.

Your roster at the start is big on purpose, you will need to cut the crap out by week 4 of pre season to have a 53 man roster for the 1st week proper.

Nor more than 3 QB's, 4 HB's, 1 FB, 3 TE's, 6 WR, 5 CB's are needed, then you only really need 2 for each safety positon, 2 for each O-Line position, 2 for each defensive end, 4/5 DT's, 2 for each OLB and 3 or 4 MLBs. Then obviously only 1 K and 1 P.

Don't cut guys just based on their OVR rating, find out what you want for each position and look for guys that fit your team plan better.

Advertisement