Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

More advice pls; dog reluctant walking

• 03-09-2013 1:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭

Hi, Looking for advice for our pup please. She is 14 weeks and since she got her injections 2 weeks ago we have been walking her daily about 15-20 mins. She is a very reluctant walker at the best of times. If all the family are there she will walk mostly ok, with the odd stopping and sitting. But if either myself or OH and maybe one of the kids bring her she won't walk for us. She sits every couple of feet and sits or lies out flat. I abandoned the walk today and ended up carrying her back the 10 houses distance we had covered in 10 mins. It won't be possible for us all to take her for walks as kids are back at school. In the past when it was only my OH she wouldn't walk for we tried treating her to walk to us etc but didn't work.

My dream of having a future walking buddy are fading, help!

Edit: also what age is it ok to leave her in the garden for an hour while I bring the kids to school. Hate putting her back in her crate when she has been in it all night. Thanks.

Comments

Jazbee wrote: »
    Hi, Looking for advice for our pup please. She is 14 weeks and since she got her injections 2 weeks ago we have been walking her daily about 15-20 mins. She is a very reluctant walker at the best of times. If all the family are there she will walk mostly ok, with the odd stopping and sitting. But if either myself or OH and maybe one of the kids bring her she won't walk for us. She sits every couple of feet and sits or lies out flat. I abandoned the walk today and ended up carrying her back the 10 houses distance we had covered in 10 mins. It won't be possible for us all to take her for walks as kids are back at school. In the past when it was only my OH she wouldn't walk for we tried treating her to walk to us etc but didn't work.

My dream of having a future walking buddy are fading, help!

Edit: also what age is it ok to leave her in the garden for an hour while I bring the kids to school. Hate putting her back in her crate when she has been in it all night. Thanks.

Hey, I've a pup that's a bit older than yours but at the 14 week stage on her first few walks she was doing the same thing. You should practice walking on lead in the garden or house.

Just remember when you bring your pup out onto the roads there's a lot of new smells and sounds she has to get used to so it can be quite intimidating, so don't expect her to walk beside you straight away.

It's frustrating I know, but just take it small steps at a time gradually building up bringing her on longer and longer walks. Also remember young pups bones/muscles are still growing a lot so, really long walks aren't great for them.

I bring some treats with me when walking with mine (something they go CRAZY for - I use little bits of boiled chicken). When she's being good and walking a long with me I give her a treat and some vocal praise. Soon you'll notice she will be walking along side you and looking up for a treat the odd time so she'll pay more attention to you.

I also use a clicker to train her, you should check out some of kikopups videos on youtube, they're really good and have helped me a lot. Even if you dont want to clicker train, they're still very helpful.

Just have some patience and take small steps at a time, she'll eventually learn :) best of luck.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFgtqgiAKoQ

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

Cooper is going on 6months and he still has days when he sits down on his walk and won't budge until i turn around a walk in the other direction (ie/home!) he's getting better as he gets older, so it's something he'll grow out of when he realises how much fun it is to be out and about.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 66 ✭✭boarsboard

its a pack animal,go walking with a few people,use a short lead,if part of the pack is at home
    they will not like walking,try getting some one in a car to drop you off with dog then walk home
    you need to be the only one that feeds her so she knows whos boss,and only after everyone has eaten,and not at the table,

http://www.cesarsway.com/tips/dogtraining/Teaching-Pup-to-Accept-Leash

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,323 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

boarsboard wrote: »
    its a pack animal,go walking with a few people,use a short lead,if part of the pack is at home
    they will not like walking,try getting some one in a car to drop you off with dog then walk home
    you need to be the only one that feeds her so she knows whos boss,and only after everyone has eaten,and not at the table,

http://www.cesarsway.com/tips/dogtraining/Teaching-Pup-to-Accept-Leash
    No, just no... That information is so outdated and so inaccurate that's it not even funny as a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Jazbee

I also use a clicker to train her, you should check out some of kikopups videos on youtube, they're really good and have helped me a lot. Even if you dont want to clicker train, they're still very helpful.

Just have some patience and take small steps at a time, she'll eventually learn :) best of luck.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFgtqgiAKoQ[/quote]

Thanks for that, that clip is great. Will try some of that tomorrow. Had to eventually bring everyone out for a walk this evening. Got the older kids to hold the lead too so that she gets used to them bringing her. She really just wants all of us there! We has done some walking on lead before 12 weeks in the garden and house to get hr used it and she was fine. Will do done more training and treating. Will have a look into clicker training too.

Thanks again everyone :)

• Advertisement

No probs and best of luck again. Cannot recommend those videos enough, she has every topic covered make sure to check out her channel, helped me so so much :)

Advertisement