Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does home insurance cover for damage during re-roofing works?

Options
  • 03-09-2013 1:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Does home insurance cover for damage during re-roofing works? Can anyone please tell?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

depends on tha cause. if it was the roofer then their insurance should cover it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

If the damage was through negligence on the part of the person doing the re-roofing- inevitably, no. You would need to claim off them (and they in turn off their insurance).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭kkelliher

Does home insurance cover for damage during re-roofing works?Can anyone please tell?

You only have cover for storm damage to roofs so if you are having it reroofed I would assume that is not the case so no is the answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,529 ✭✭✭✭ted1

The builders insurance should cover it

• Registered Users Posts: 4 jessicarobin

Hi,
    Yesterday I went up the loft and noticed that I have some wet patches on the loft floor, looked up and noticed that black roof felt is wet with watery residue, looks like dew or condensation, it obviously drips as the floor was wet. Please someone, who had a similar problem with the roof - can you give me any ideas what it might be, roof tiles or just a roof felt? And how much it would cost?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Might be the tiles slipping, or missing. Either way, I'd be getting a builder out quick smart. You really can't let this go on too long.

No idea as to the cost. But I'd get three quotes anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Condensation in an attic is common. If it excessive it may mean your roof vents are blocked. It could indicate a leak.

Some building have vents from the bathroom that go into the attic space. The vent going from the bathroom may be ruptured causing moist air to go into the attic.

There are lots of variables that might cause this not necessarily a major concern.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 jessicarobin

Can anyone please tell, what are the things we should ask <snip> roofing contractor?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,414 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Does home insurance cover for damage during re-roofing works? Can anyone please tell?
    Generally, insurance won't cover a defective or worn out roof.

Generally they will cover for damage during construction, but check your policy. You would be expected to take precautions and to notify the insurer. The insurer may ask for an increased premium for the duration of the works.

You should use a contract that requires the contractor to have a minimum of Contractors All Risk and Public Liability insurances.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭kkelliher

Hi,
    Yesterday I went up the loft and noticed that I have some wet patches on the loft floor, looked up and noticed that black roof felt is wet with watery residue, looks like dew or condensation, it obviously drips as the floor was wet. Please someone, who had a similar problem with the roof - can you give me any ideas what it might be, roof tiles or just a roof felt? And how much it would cost?

Does your water tank have a lid?

• Advertisement
Advertisement