Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

micro campers

Options
  • 03-09-2013 3:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Im thinking about building a camper that I could also use as my daily driver. For various reasons I need something that is small. After some googling i found http://www.smallmotorhome.co.uk/ where there are a number of people who have converted small van derived cars such as the renault Kangoo,the citreon berlingo or the fiat doblo. I was wondering if there is anyone here who is running something as small as this, and would there be any problems having it reclassified as a camper. My plan is to fit a permanent sink, gas hob, some storage, a table and some seats that convert to a double bed, (and anything else that is required by revenue) but still keep the standard seats. I would be using a drive away awning when camping. Would there be a problem insuring it? Obviously it would meet the DOE standards, and would have all of the required supporting documentation. Is there any problem using it day to day, again, once declared to insurer. I plan on doing all of the work myself (i converted a merc 809 about 8 years ago so have some idea of whats involved) and have found this site very useful in terms of the new regulations.

I would like to travel to europe in it, but I have read that some campsites dont allow cars. Does anyone know if this would be a major issue on the continent?

Thanks in advance, and if it goes ahead I will keep you updated on my progress.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Corbally

First important question is how tall are you? I've a partly converted Transporter that's my daily driver and being able to stretch out properly really makes it. A friend has a 99 Caddy with foam in the back and him and the missus sleep in it and they say it's comfortable but he's a bit shorter than me, around 5'7"?
    Regards getting it registered as far as I know all you need is signature from one of the inspectors to prove its not going to be used commercial, ie: its a permanent conversion. If you have a mattress in a builders van you can pull it out and go to work on monday but if you've carpeted and insulated, installed a sink/cooker etc you might be able to register as a camper. Call cosyclassics.ie these guys know they're stuff and there prices are pretty good.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

thanks hanksy123.

Im not much taller than yourself, and my wife is shorter so we should be ok on the length. I was looking at google images and saw a few conversions that look good!

really like the layout of this one:

kangoo-tiny-motorhome-1.jpg

more at http://tinyhousetalk.com/kangoo-tiny-camper-slash-motorhome/

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Corbally

Hope it works out for you. You should do a build thread that people can follow

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

ill be sure to do a build thread. On the lookout for a suitable base vehicle at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

great idea lenny, keep us up to date.

can i suggest an old ambulance as your base unit? Good standing room, and doors & electrics (& some storage) built in already ...

this one is in UK ... http://www.preloved.co.uk/adverts/show/107570144/ex-ambulance-ideal-for-conversion.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

great idea lenny, keep us up to date.

can i suggest an old ambulance as your base unit? Good standing room, and doors & electrics (& some storage) built in already ...

this one is in UK ... http://www.preloved.co.uk/adverts/show/107570144/ex-ambulance-ideal-for-conversion.html

Comes with free hospital smell :D
    Seriously though we had one here for about three years and the smell never went out of it. i think the floor covering may have been impregnated with microban.
    Anyway that aside he'd looking micro conversion.

Advertisement