Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home Page Advertising (again)

Options
  • 03-09-2013 3:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭

Hello folks,

I want to float an idea with you but I want to provide some context.

I've mentioned before that the bottom has completely fallen out of online banner advertising so the reality is we're in a position where we have to try out newer advertising ideas with the agencies we deal with. Very often we do something for Logged Out readers of the site that doesn't affect you logged in members. At the moment, on the front page, we have allowances for a "billboard" ad like the one below.

263013.png

We've been getting more requests to run this ad on the homepage for all members of the site, so we're probably going to have these billboard ads on the front page from time to time. Yes, it's a pain in the arse having to scroll to get to the listing of threads (PRO TIP: Following your favourite forums will put them in the My Forums list on the top so you won't have to scroll), I know that, but we're going to have to give it a go and see how it does for us. I'm not sure when exactly the next one might be, but I wanted to give you all a notice that it might even happen at some stage this month.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

its pretty big I have to say but then I don't tend to use the front page at all so it personally wouldn't bother me.
    i guess most people dislike adverts (I know I do) but at the same time I realise that at the end of the day boards.ie has to make money as well, it can't run on fresh air.

Am I imagining things or does being a subscriber remove these adverts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

Yep, as always, being a subscriber gives you the option to turn ads off all across the site.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Whatever pays the bills! Don't use the frontage anyway, just My Forums.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Ah, here, don't be blaming adverts.ie for it.. :P

At a guess, most established users here don't use the front page but I'm sure you've factored that and looked at your page analytics - begs the question though: if I was a new visitor, how likely am I to bounce if the first thing I see is an ad?

I presume you're running an A/B on this and not just (or even) going to heed feedback here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Only site on the web I have ad-block disabled for. Go for it.
    Like Esoteric below I reserve the right to bitch about it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

If it generates revenue for the site, I don't care. Annoyances aren't as important as keeping the site up and running.

I say that now, but I'll probably be píssing and moaning when it happens. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

I really appreciate you all being so understanding folks, our continued ability to pay the bills is something that gives us all great peace of mind :)

Steve, you'd be surprised about how many regulars use the home page - see the previous threads where we made home page changes.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Dav wrote: »
    I really appreciate you all being so understanding folks, our continued ability to pay the bills is something that gives us all great peace of mind :)

Steve, you'd be surprised about how many regulars use the home page - see the previous threads where we made home page changes.

I'd imagine that a lot of the people who browse feedback regularly for these type of threads will be the more pragmatic understanding types who have been around the boards block a few times, so to speak.

Once ye actually do it though, the other type who won't be as understanding (I'd guess) will appear then.

IMO of course. ;)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

I think it's completely fair enough. It's a minor annoyance that is dwarfed by the free service you get from the site.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,759 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

I hardly even notice them now to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

You either pay a site to use it, or you are what the site uses to pay for itself.

Advertising is the least worrying method of a site doing the second option.

Do what you have to, IMO, as long as I'm not looking at animated gifs everywhere I'm good.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Ads pay for the website to work, when ads on a website are unobtrusive they work for the website. The ads here are fairly unobtrusive so no complaints here.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,957 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Work away. As long as you never introduce ads for subscribers I don't think I'll ever care :P

• Registered Users Posts: 28,865 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I think the Subscribers thing needs a rethink with different levels of "extras" being offered for different amounts..

EG: €5 ads off
    €10 above + name changes
    €20 above + access to S&S etc

If the bills are mounting up then maybe ways to encourage more people to chip in is needed? I do because I get a lot of value from the site and seeing as I can afford to, give something back but I think widening this payment base would be the way to go in the longer term rather than resorting to advertising.

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    I think the Subscribers thing needs a rethink with different levels of "extras" being offered for different amounts..

EG: €5 ads off
    €10 above + name changes

If the bills are mounting up then maybe ways to encourage more people to chip in is needed? I do because I get a lot of value from the site and seeing as I can afford to, give something back but I think widening this payment base would be the way to go in the longer term rather than resorting to advertising.
    Are they monthly rates? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,865 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Quazzie wrote: »
    Are they monthly rates? :eek:

Not necessarily - I was more getting at the idea of different benefit levels :)
    I think most regular users would probably chip in a few quid a month if they were getting something they felt of value back for it though.

Not necessarily - I was more getting at the idea of different benefit levels :)
    I think most regular users would probably chip in a few quid a month if they were getting something they felt of value back for it though.
    I do. I'm happy to pay the fiver a month. It doesn't break me, but it's about the amount I'd happily pay without thinking twice about. Any more and I'd have to think about it, and then I probably wouldn't. A better system would be to have a monthly subscription and then maybe an additional fee to change name. Something along €2 per name change would get a bit of business. Nothing like the revenue that the ads create though I'd imagine.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

You must work for the government.... great value for money there. :D

Haven't been in there recently but it's still an oversold ticket to disappointmentville :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Steve wrote: »
    You must work for the government.... great value for money there. :D

Haven't been in there recently but it's still an oversold ticket to disappointmentville :)

Shhh Steve FFS! Do you want people to not sub?

Don't listen to him guys, the S&S forum is a hive of activity and the tales of debauchery within would make Sasha Grey blush!

Advertisement