Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gas and Electricity help...

Options
  • 03-09-2013 4:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hi all,

Some help here would be great!! 4 of us are moving into a house next week and our landlord has told us:

''You are currently with Electric Ireland for electricity.
    You are also with Electric Ireland for gas, but you must ring them in relation to the gas bill to set up a direct debit with them''.

My 2 questions are:

1. Are Electric Ireland the best priced company for us to go with, or is there better deals in going with 2 separate companies, one for electricity, and another for gas?
    2. Is there a company which provides both electricity and gas who just post out the bill every few weeks, rather than doing direct debit?

Any help here would be great!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Pistachios & cream

HI OP

something to consider is that if you don't pay by direct debit you will have to pay a deposit.

For Electric Irelend electricity this is €300 which is waived if you do pay by direct debit.

We are with Bord Gais for Gas and had to either pay a €200 deposit and pay by direct debit or pay €300 deposit if we didn't want to set up a direct debit.

Regarding your 1st question this website might help http://www.bonkers.ie/compare-gas-electricity-prices/

I think you would need the landlords permission to change electricity and gas provider so bear that in mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 maryi2013

Thank you for the reply!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,529 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Best advice I can offer you is stay clear of Airtricity. People have nothing but problems with them with regards billing.
    Electric ireland have a pretty good deal on at the moment 10 % off plus 30 quid discount. You'll be hard pressed to beat that especially on a 12 month contract

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭HelpImAlive

Definitely don't go with any prepaid service. And don't go with the provider who it's with at the moment, ie: Electric Ireland because they'll know the property has had a change of tenancy and will charge you a 200 euro tenancy deposit.

All companies charge the security deposit if you're not going to pay by direct debit but there are ways around it. If you call the company once the bill is issued and request to stop the pending direct debit, you can pay it into the post office then. Do this for the first 6 bills and you'll have built up a good credit history and that'll let them remove the direct debit fully.

I know Electric Ireland's standing charges are cheaper than Airtricity, but Airtricity's unit rate is cheaper than Electric Ireland, so it really depends on if you'd be using a lot of kilowatts or not to let you decide which company to go with. With Airtricity if you sign up for both gas and elec, you'd get a 23% combined discount - so that's 17 on gas which is 4.28 cent per kw/h and on electricity is 15.58 kw/h.

Also just an extra note, Bord Gais are the only company set to be increasing their rates at the moment, Airtricity and EI aren't set to follow suit for the mean time.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,826 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Also just an extra note, Bord Gais are the only company set to be increasing their rates at the moment, Airtricity and EI aren't set to follow suit for the mean time.

EI already have.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/electric-ireland-to-hike-its-gas-prices-by-2pc-29548747.html

Give Airtricity and Flo a week I'd guess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

ahayes84 wrote: »
    HI OP

something to consider is that if you don't pay by direct debit you will have to pay a deposit.

For Electric Irelend electricity this is €300 which is waived if you do pay by direct debit.

We are with Bord Gais for Gas and had to either pay a €200 deposit and pay by direct debit or pay €300 deposit if we didn't want to set up a direct debit.

Regarding your 1st question this website might help http://www.bonkers.ie/compare-gas-electricity-prices/

I think you would need the landlords permission to change electricity and gas provider so bear that in mind.

Just moved to a new house and contacted Bord Gais to switch the gas to my name. They gave me the whole €300 & €200 deposit business too. There is a 3rd way that I chose, no deposit required and direct debit every month. It averages out my bill over 12 equal monthly charges. Suits me better in every way. So it is possible not to pay any depoist with Bord Gais.

Advertisement