Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

idle speed too high-HELP!!

Options
  • 03-09-2013 4:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭

Hi

I purchased a Toyota starlet 99 ep91 1.3, the people who i bought it off said it has been parked for a good while, i put the car on the road about 3 weeks ago i noticed the idle speed was too high and took off the throttle body there i found the valve was sticking we tried to free it but it was no good because it was worn so i bought a second hand one and put it in and again the idle speed is too high, however when the choke is disconnected the speed dies down.

can anyone help if any more information is needed please ask. thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭ldxo15wus6fpgm

I'm not familiar with the engine but some fuel pumps/carburettors have an adjustable idle speed screw (I think?)

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭jimmy5694

Thanks for your reply, tried that but then it was hard to start and tick over was very slow then when the engine warmed up tick over was normal

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭jimmy5694

jimmy5694 wrote: »
    Thanks for your reply, tried that but then it was hard to start and tick over was very slow then when the engine warmed up tick over was normal

Sorry on the side of the throttle body there was a screw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭ldxo15wus6fpgm

jimmy5694 wrote: »

Could be different screws for cold/hot idle? Bar that I'm stumped I'm afraid

• Registered Users Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭Ded_Zebra

AFAIK there is another screw on the choke mechanism that pushes on the throttle and opens it slightly(supposed to increase idle speed when cold). I suspect that your choke cable is too short and is holding the choke slightly on all the time.

• Advertisement
Advertisement