Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky Broadband No Previous Phone Connection...

• 03-09-2013 4:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭

I'm very interested in getting Sky Broadband because I've heard good things about it. The only problem being although there is a phone line in my house it has never being connected. Will Sky arrange this to be activated? Who covers the cost of the activation?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Did you ring Sky?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭King Krib

I'm waiting on a call back. Just wondering what the norm is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

if you don't have a UAN Sky get very confused...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 66 ✭✭boarsboard

on the website it says you have to have an active line

you are only going to get phone speed,how far are you from the exchange

If your house doesn't have a telephone line, you will need to install an active eircom telephone line to operate a Sky broadband package

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,403 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

The provision of an active phone line is your responsibility not Sky's.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,661 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Sky can reactivate an inactive line OP, give them a call again if you don't hear back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Pistachios & cream

HI there,
    We were in the same position as you. You will have to get eircom to activate the phone line. We ended up getting broadband from them as well because otherwise it didn't work out financially.

ahayes84 wrote: »
    HI there,
    We were in the same position as you. You will have to get eircom to activate the phone line. We ended up getting broadband from them as well because otherwise it didn't work out financially.

A neighbour of mine recently got Vodafone broadband in and they took care of the line activation. Eircom activated but by the request of Vodafone.

Just to update...Ordered from sky on wednesday phone line active in 24hrs and broadband will be active next week. That's service...

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭top_dog

King Krib wrote: »
    Just to update...Ordered from sky on wednesday phone line active in 24hrs and broadband will be active next week. That's service...

Hi, how did you get sky to activate your line? I've been ringing them a few times and been talking to sky agent and they tell me I need to contact eircom myself and get line activated. Eircom will only activate if you sign up with them on 12 month subscription.

• Advertisement

The provision of an active phone line is your responsibility not Sky's.

I'm not saying your wrong here but how can this be the case if the only way to get one activated is to enter into a 12 month subscription service with eircom. Seems then that eircom have a bit of a monopoly there. I've read on some other threads that Vodafone can activate line to house so how come sky can't?

top_dog wrote: »
    Hi, how did you get sky to activate your line? I've been ringing them a few times and been talking to sky agent and they tell me I need to contact eircom myself and get line activated. Eircom will only activate if you sign up with them on 12 month subscription.

Hi, I've had the broadband in for a couple of weeks now. From the point of order the phone was active in 24hrs,broadband was in about 7days. Until I rang sky there was never an active line in this house.

I'm not saying your wrong here but how can this be the case if the only way to get one activated is to enter into a 12 month subscription service with eircom. Seems then that eircom have a bit of a monopoly there. I've read on some other threads that Vodafone can activate line to house so how come sky can't?

I would'nt call Eircom's efforts an attempt at a monopoly, I'd call it blackmail:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 925 ✭✭✭codie

King Krib wrote: »
    I'm very interested in getting Sky Broadband because I've heard good things about it. The only problem being although there is a phone line in my house it has never being connected. Will Sky arrange this to be activated? Who covers the cost of the activation?

You must be the only person in the whole country to hear good things about Sky broadband.

codie wrote: »
    You must be the only person in the whole country to hear good things about Sky broadband.

Wrong:D There are many thousands of happy Sky broadband customers. You must be one of the few unhappy ones:D.

I would'nt call Eircom's efforts an attempt at a monopoly, I'd call it blackmail:mad:

Okay so the reason that Sky can't activate the line is because they have not employed the engineers required to actually go out to the site and activate the line. And I don't think they are planning on doing this any time soon.
    When I call them and ask them to activate the line and I give them my address they can see 4 other houses in the area with line connection. They can't distinguish which house is mine unless they actually send an engineer out as Eircom would do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 322 ✭✭domeld

Okay so the reason that Sky can't activate the line is because they have not employed the engineers required to actually go out to the site and activate the line. And I don't think they are planning on doing this any time soon.
    When I call them and ask them to activate the line and I give them my address they can see 4 other houses in the area with line connection. They can't distinguish which house is mine unless they actually send an engineer out as Eircom would do.

You are totally wrong. Sky does not have to employ the engineers to go out, because order is placed thorough eircom gateway and only Eircom (apart of LLU exchanges) have a access to exchange! It must be a reason why they cant order line on gateway. Orders are LNN or LNI.

domeld wrote: »
    You are totally wrong. Sky does not have to employ the engineers to go out, because order is placed thorough eircom gateway and only Eircom (apart of LLU exchanges) have a access to exchange! It must be a reason why they cant order line on gateway. Orders are LNN or LNI.

I'm only relaying what I have been told by Sky agents. All I know is Sky wont activate line because there are 4 other houses in the area with registered with the same address and they can't be sure what house they will be activating. Not sure what LNN and LNI is. Maybe you can explain this in layman terms?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 322 ✭✭domeld

I'm only relaying what I have been told by Sky agents. All I know is Sky wont activate line because there are 4 other houses in the area with registered with the same address and they can't be sure what house they will be activating. Not sure what LNN and LNI is. Maybe you can explain this in layman terms?

LNN - Line not in situ
    LNI - Line in situ

If they are not sure they supposed to place LNN order - eircom will ring customer for appointment.

domeld wrote: »
    LNN - Line not in situ
    LNI - Line in situ

If they are not sure they supposed to place LNN order - eircom will ring customer for appointment.

Oh okay well not sure why SKY don't do this with Eircom then. Mustn't have a good relationship with Eircom or maybe Sky just don't want the business. Perhaps they have too many subscribers already. Anyway I have ring them maybe 5 time already so kinda fed up ringing them now.

• Advertisement
Advertisement