Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

received an infraction for posting in music section

Options
  • 03-09-2013 4:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭

Hi

I received an infraction or yellow card for posting in the music section from the mod FUNKYOU

The thread was about songs that bring you to tears.

My first post was, some of the above songs would really bring me to tears, this was suppose to be a light hearted joke.

Then a poster with a username FUNKYOU and a titleYOUR GIRLFRIENDS FAVOURITE USER engaged with me. I didn't think he was a mod or realise he was a mod with a name like that initially. He posted something like....

Post IN THE SPIRIT OF THE FORUM or don't post. I thought he was just another poster.

I responded by saying that was the light hearted response I was looking for to my tongue in cheek remark before I posted my song ( that could bring me to tears) IN THE SPIRIT OF THE THREAD Neil Youngs Philadelphia. ( so I was simply doing what he asked)

Then I get this response I'm not getting into a back and forth with you! (Neither was I)

If I had left it at that it would have looked like I was trolling so my reply was to name another song that could move me to tears IN THE SPIRIT OF THE THREAD, Neither am I (looking to get into a back and forth) and Delorentos Petardu.

I went back to correct a spelling mistake because I was being attacked on waterford boards for spelling errors and I was given an infraction after that.

The mod said I was trolling and I had gone back to edit my post to add in a band name.

This to me is totally unacceptable, I only wanted to take part in this thread and he issues me with an infravtion and accuses me of being a troll, how long am I on boards now.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Your first step in this process is to try and come to some kind of agreement with the mod in question.
    However I think I can shortcut here. You have admitted in your post that you engaged in the thread with the mod when you should have taken it to PM. Thats a warning at least and thats the same on every forum on Boards. Any attempted tête-à-tête with a mod in thread derails and disrupts the thread and the other users of the forum. That is why the rule is enforced sitewide.
    I have to agree with the mod on this, you did keep posting in response to his on-thread warning rather then take it to PM.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭spankmemunkey

OldGoat wrote: »
    Your first step in this process is to try and come to some kind of agreement with the mod in question.
    However I think I can shortcut here. You have admitted in your post that you engaged in the thread with the mod when you should have taken it to PM. Thats a warning at least and thats the same on every forum on Boards. Any attempted tête-à-tête with a mod in thread derails and disrupts the thread and the other users of the forum. That is why the rule is enforced sitewide.
    I have to agree with the mod on this, you did keep posting in response to his on-thread warning rather then take it to PM.

I didn't even know he was a mod as I pointed out, he didn't warn me on the thread that I wud receive an infraction he just said if you cant post in the spirit of the thread so I said okay I'm not getting into a tit for tat and went on to post in the spirit of the thread, he then sent me a pm that I received an infraction. My point being I went on to post another song and it was then that he pm'd me, why didn't he send me a pm first? Why didn't he say if you post at all again you will receive an infraction?

He doesn't have to send you PM laying out his intent to infract you - I'm not sure why you think this is policy. As I see it:
    He gave a warning to keep to the topic (in the spirit of the topic).
    You argued. At this point he could have issued a warning but instead he tried to keep a light touch and so gave you another in-thread directive
    He said "If you want to argue then PM me".
    You again responded to him when you say "Neither do I". You're prolonging an exchange when you have clearly been asked not to. Thats what the warning is for. It' your insistence on having the last word that landed with a card.

I still see no reason to remove the warning.

He doesn't have to send you PM laying out his intent to infract you - I'm not sure why you think this is policy. As I see it:
    He gave a warning to keep to the topic (in the spirit of the topic).
    You argued. At this point he could have issued a warning but instead he tried to keep a light touch and so gave you another in-thread directive
    He said "If you want to argue then PM me".
    You again responded to him when you say "Neither do I". You're prolonging an exchange when you have clearly been asked not to. Thats what the warning is for. It' your insistence on having the last word that landed with a card.

I still see no reason to remove the warning.

Surprise surprise a mod on boards agrees with another mod, he issued an infraction because he said I edited a post to put a band in after i wrote niether do I, not for saying neither do I but cos he thought I went back to add a band name in, its just an infraction why would i be going on so much about it if I didn't feel I was right? He accused me of altering my post, I'm damned if I do and I'm damned if i don't, he said I don't want to get into a back and forth with you and my polite response was okay neither do and because I wrote ok neither do I get an infraction? No not even that he presumed I was going back to put a band name in to cover my ass. This is a joke and theres no fairness in it. I also never insisted he must pm me first, I never even knew he was a mod.

It seems to me the clearer I point out to you that I wasnt trolling and that your co worker presumed I went back to change a post the more you don't want to over turn an infraction its a complete waste of time, but I'm not willing to let some faceless person acuse me of being a troll and that I went and altered a post to cover my ass cos all he is doing is making a guess on both occasions and hes wrong on both so I'm not going to sit back and let him acuse me of both, its the principle.

You have the option of asking an Admin to look at this if you wish to have a third opinion.

• Advertisement

You have the option of asking an Admin to look at this if you wish to have a third opinion.

Yes pleaae, although I can probably bet they still won't see my point of view but as I said its the principle.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

A number of points:

One: claiming you didn't know funk-you was a moderator doesn't wash; the phrase "Mod: Classic Rock" is clearly visible under their profile picture. You've been here nearly two years and have over 1200 posts, you should know what a moderator is by now.

Two: you don't discuss a moderator warning in the thread. Ever. When a moderator says they don't want to get into a back and forth with you and tells you to PM them instead, replying to that on the thread is never going to be a good idea.

Three: it's just a yellow card. It's a mild warning; a reminder to think before you post.

The warning was completely justified. Your best bet is to learn from it, rather than getting annoyed about it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement