Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chipper quality - 2 questions

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Chelon

rubadub wrote: »
    Which was it? its not like your disclosing something they are ashamed of, if they are openly bringing it in.

I am interested to know if it is what I would have considered a chipper. I never really thought of beshoffs as a chipper for some reason.

Can't think why not. Chip shop=chippie=chipper, all the same thing.

The shop in question is very famous and isn't Beshoffs....no more clues :)

I would have named it but I've had a thread locked before after naming businesses - was a tad confused by that, as I thought one of the main functions of the forum was to share experiences and opinions, good or bad.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Yeah, please don't name the place. There could be several different explanations for what you saw (including that you were simply mistaken), and we don't want libelous accusations being thrown around.

On the topic, I lived in a really small town in Wales for a while and there was very little there, except this fish and chip shop that did the best fish and chips I've ever had. I went there a few times when it was quiet and I had to wait, and I realised that the reason it was so good was because it was freshly battered and fried. Not to order, mind (unless you were the first to order when they'd run out), but they did maybe 5 fish portions at a time. Then again, it was a small town and there was never huge queues, so they could do it easily enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Chelon wrote: »
    Can't think why not. Chip shop=chippie=chipper, all the same thing.
    I think I used to presume they were like a mcdonalds, I always guessed they had frozen chips, just because it was a sit down place, like a supermacs fish n chips. It just never looked like a regular italian chipper to me, like how Harry Ramsdens doesn't.
    Chelon wrote: »
    I would have named it but I've had a thread locked before after naming businesses - was a tad confused by that.
    If you are making wild claims I can see it being locked, or giving very negative comments. McDonalds use frozen prebattered frozen fish, I never saw them try and hide the fact. You are going on like its a "name and shame", where they don't appear ashamed at all.

It would not surprise me if burdocks did this, there are several of them now so it would make sense for 1 place to possibly do a lot of the processing and then go around to all the franchises. Keep better consistency, nothing to be ashamed of.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    The fish shop here batters it for you up till about 7 when the queue is out the door then its done in batches and refried. Its all swimming in salt and vinegar and wrapped in white paper.

Funny thing is the place does the worse burgers, reheated in a microwave and stuck in a bun.

you often see couples going in for fish and then across the green to the other shop for burgers.

Whereabouts in Kilkenny?

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭duckworth

MadsL wrote: »
    Possibly avoiding Cod as it is massively overfished and on the red list.

Mads - Cod is the most abundant fish around right now, it's not overfished any more. Also, it's not true that Chippers sell 'fake' cod - its become so cheap and abundant last couple of years that they all sell the real deal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

duckworth wrote: »
    Mads - Cod is the most abundant fish around right now, it's not overfished any more. Also, it's not true that Chippers sell 'fake' cod - its become so cheap and abundant last couple of years that they all sell the real deal.

http://www.iucnredlist.org/details/8784/0

Still listed as Vunerable.

Stocks are recovering, but let's not go calling it "abundant".

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

vicwatson wrote: »
    Whereabouts in Kilkenny?

Johnny Walkers in Waterford

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

rubadub wrote: »
    I have never seen it. I have seen them doing cod portions, with their own batter. I have never seen prebattered cod portions being used.

In other threads I have seen people complaining about "chippers" using frozen chips and donegal catch type fish -IMO these, by definition, are simply not chippers.

Glad someone else mentioned this.

Lived in Carlow town for a while and I was so disappointed with the chippers there! Bar one or two places that we (eventually) found, they all served bland, disgusting, pointless frozen chips. They were worse than what you would expect from a chinese. Used to píss me off something fierce because I don't see the point of it, they taste like cardboard and surely are more expensive than buying spuds and chipping them?

The weird thing was I only ever found one place that did a "proper" kebab. You know, lamb/chicken in a pitta bread, full of cabbage and chilli and garlic sauce? They all had weird, disgusting versions of it.

Carlow people are odd.

I used to work on the phones in a chipper in Blanchardstown. If someone asked for S&V on their chips they would fill the bag halfway, add S&V, add more chips and then S&V again. Amazing. A bit more time consuming when busy though but went down well with the customers

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Chelon

Still no one from the trade? I'd really love to see just a few of the local chippers trying to improve quality - have you seen the queues outside Beshoff's.....and McDonagh's in Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,022 ✭✭✭jpb1974

Still no one from the trade?

Do you really think any sensible business person is going to jump on here and start trying to justify their practices? Going on an internet forum and going head to head with a bunch of internet warriors... not going to happen.

If it meant that much to me I'd go around to my local chippies and speak with owners.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Most chippers owners often have 5/6 chippers each. They all get their oil, potatoes and probably fish from the same company. The vinegar actually comes in 20 liter drums, which is 80% acetic acid. 1 liter is diluted down to 20 liters when water is added. The acid is damaging to lungs and when its not diluted it can easily melt plastic.

I went to school with two Italian guys who parents both owned chippers and neither of them would eat from their parents chippers. But most of the other students whose parents had chippers,had no issue with eating chipper food. Its actually healthy than chinese as there is no MSG and other chemicals. And its better than McDonalds or BK as the chips are so thick they dont actually absorb much oil.

hfallada wrote: »
    Its actually healthy than chinese as there is no MSG and other chemicals. And its better than McDonalds or BK as the chips are so thick they dont actually absorb much oil.

Fish and Chips
    Polyunsaturated 0 g Dietary Fiber 11 g
    Monounsaturated 0 g Sugars 0 g
    Trans 0 g Protein 35 g
    Cholesterol 0 mg
    Vitamin A 0% Calcium 0%
    Vitamin C 0% Iron 0%

Broccoli and Beef

Calories 120 Sodium 660 mg
    Total Fat 4 g Potassium 272 mg
    Saturated 1 g Total Carbs 13 g
    Polyunsaturated 0 g Dietary Fiber 3 g
    Monounsaturated 0 g Sugars 3 g
    Trans 0 g Protein 9 g
    Cholesterol 10 mg
    Vitamin A 10% Calcium 4%
    Vitamin C 80% Iron 4%

Healthier than Chinese, sure. Avoid the fried rice and you are grand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Not like for like MadsL. You're assuming the brocolli and beef has no sauce and isnt served with rice or any starchy side

Edit: Also, for a protein count of 9g, you must have about 30g of beef!!

Mr Simpson wrote: »
    Not like for like MadsL. You're assuming the brocolli and beef has no sauce and isnt served with rice or any starchy side

Edit: Also, for a protein count of 9g, you must have about 30g of beef!!

Here's the source for that.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/calories/harry-ramsdens-fish-and-chips-89966450

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/calories/panda-express-broccoli-beef-net-carbs-89549715

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Thats still 150g portion (tiny) for Panda Express with no side order. Whereas the fish and chips doesnt list a portion size

Advertisement