Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Apple Announces September 10th Event

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

I just don't see the point of the 5C. For the extra €100 why not go for the 5S. If both phones had the same features and hardware with just the case being different fair enough, but it's a small gap in pricing and you get a better built phone with a lot of specs increases as well as a fingerprint sensor. I don't think they'll be loosing to many 5S sales to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭The One Who Knocks

DubDJ wrote: »
    I just don't see the point of the 5C. For the extra €100 why not go for the 5S. If both phones had the same features and hardware with just the case being different fair enough, but it's a small gap in pricing and you get a better built phone with a lot of specs increases as well as a fingerprint sensor. I don't think they'll be loosing to many 5S sales to it.

Exactly, the 5c was supposed to target developing countries, but not a hope now with that price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

Jamez735 wrote: »
    Exactly, the 5c was supposed to target developing countries, but not a hope now with that price.

It doest matter out of contract, but when you go down to contract subsidies, the difference is huge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

5c is $549 sim free... if it was $199 I would buy one as a secondary phone, I don't see the point at pricing it only slightly cheaper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

DubDJ wrote: »
    I just don't see the point of the 5C. For the extra €100 why not go for the 5S.
    Some people are saying they'll be great for kids.

I cannot fathom why you would spend so much money on a phone for a child or why people would reach that conclusion, besides the fact they have colourful cases.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,531 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Apple's revenues must have collapsed in the last 90 minutes then:rolleyes:

They are down 2% which is not a collapse and that can happen on any day.
    I think investors will be looking more at price of 5c and think it might be too expensive to compete with cheaper phones and expand in to new markets rather than judge if an improved chip, camera and fingerprint sensor are a success or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

miralize wrote: »
    It doest matter out of contract, but when you go down to contract subsidies, the difference is huge.

Yeah but that creates an even bigger reason to just pay the extra for a 5S. That doesn't help the 5C at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭MissyFit

Looks like I'm going from a 4s to a Samsung s4 - I can get a brand new unlocked s4 from a friend for €400 , and no more contracts . No way im going to pay €700 for a 32gb 5s ( 16gb is no good for me ) So i will save €300 by switching to the S4 which I've had the chance to use and love the screen size anyway , and still have €300 left :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Meh, the C defintely doesn't stand for cheap.

Have no interest in the 5S as my 5 is still fine. Roll on iOS7 though, hopefully GM will be live soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Simply Red

Very strange pricing for the 5c, cant figure out the logic behind it.

Will be sticking with my 5 for now, nothing the 5s offers that I would consider upgrading to for, will hang on for the 6

• Advertisement

murpho999 wrote: »
    They are down 2% which is not a collapse and that can happen on any day.
    Why would it happen on any day? Surely it should only happen on days when there's been an announcement of revenues falling? Ya know, since that's what stock markets react to.
    I think investors will be looking more at price of 5c and think it might be too expensive to compete with cheaper phones and expand in to new markets rather than judge if an improved chip, camera and fingerprint sensor are a success or not.
    So you think that the market might react before revenues on the new line have even started? Strange.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

mloc123 wrote: »
    5c is $549 sim free... if it was $199 I would buy one as a secondary phone, I don't see the point at pricing it only slightly cheaper.

Let's be realistic, 200 was never going to happen. I'd have guessed 400-450 max. Really surprised by how expensive it turned out. I'm not sure where it gets them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,531 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Why would it happen on any day? Surely it should only happen on days when there's been an announcement of revenues falling? Ya know, since that's what stock markets react to.

So you think that the market might react before revenues on the new line have even started? Strange.

2% is not that big of a swing. My point is that investors would look at financial reasons not technical ones and may feel that the 5c price is wrong.
    If the share price had gone up today it would not mean that 5s is a huge success either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Wolverine359

Will the 5C be replacing the iPod touch range, or maybe eventually replacing them? They seem to be very similar products now, with the colour range and just the sim card availability being the main difference? Seems like it'd make sense, although they'd still be more expensive. If I was humming and hawing between a high end iPod and a (relatively) more expensive iPhone option, I'd probably pick the iPhone. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Hunter Mahan

So it was just the iPhone and IOS7 today, nothing about Apple TV or the Mac's?

Even the c name doesn't make sense to me now. I was convinced that it was deliberately chosen to not only convey colour - as per the official apple narrative - but to also subtly and negatively suggest cheap, to subconsciously move the buyer to the higher priced product. But the strategy doesn't work with the pricing. Again, I'm struggling to figure out what they were thinking here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Will the 5C be replacing the iPod touch range, or maybe eventually replacing them? They seem to be very similar products now, with the colour range and just the sim card availability being the main difference? Seems like it'd make sense, although they'd still be more expensive. If I was humming and hawing between a high end iPod and a (relatively) more expensive iPhone option, I'd probably pick the iPhone. :)

I thought the same when I saw the announcement but after seeing the prices, no chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 352 ✭✭funt cucker

I'm hoping a large iPhone 6 is on the way........It has to happen at some stage, it just has to, if it doesn't they'll just go the same way as nokia.

I'm hoping a large iPhone 6 is on the way........It has to happen at some stage, it just has to, if it doesn't they'll just go the same way as nokia.

Bookmarked and reminder for me this time next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭bigron2109

I wonder when Phone companies in Ireland will have them on sale.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

Whats the point of a cheap iPhone if it still costs far more than the best android device? Whats the point in upgrading the already fantastic iPhone 5 to a slightly better iPhone 5?

Load of balls.

FearDark wrote: »
    Whats the point of a cheap iPhone if it still costs far more than the best android device? Whats the point in upgrading the already fantastic iPhone 5 to a slightly better iPhone 5?

Load of balls.

Its not a cheap iPhone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 352 ✭✭funt cucker

Bookmarked and reminder for me this time next year.

They can't stay with the same old stuff for very much longer in fairness. A dramatic change would be a large screen iPhone, that so many people would like to see, not just myself.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

Its not a cheap iPhone.

It's a pointless iPhone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,252 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Its not a cheap iPhone.

In comparison it is :p

Its not a cheap iPhone.

It's serves no purpose at its current pricing. A cheaper iPhone was what was required.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,736 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

bigron2109 wrote: »
    I wonder when Phone companies in Ireland will have them on sale.

Probably Meteor, O2, Vodafone, Three and Vodafone.....at a guess.

It's serves no purpose at its current pricing. A cheaper iPhone was what was required.

It does when you bring subsidies into the mix. Out of contract its ridiculous I agree.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,736 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

They can't stay with the same old stuff for very much longer in fairness. A dramatic change would be a large screen iPhone, that so many people would like to see, not just myself.

If they go bigger, i will never upgrade. the 5 is borderline for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

The screen size is the best thing about the iPhone, it's a phone not a tablet. All the good android devices are now too big and unusable with one hand. Apple are right not to go down this road.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement