Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Apple Announces September 10th Event

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

kceire wrote: »
    Probably Meteor, O2, Vodafone, Three and Vodafone.....at a guess.

I think he said when, not who..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 352 ✭✭funt cucker

If they go bigger, i will never upgrade. the 5 is borderline for me.

There are many like you and there are many like me that would love a galaxy sized iPhone. I don't want a Galaxy S4, I want an iPhone that size.

jester77 wrote: »
    The screen size is the best thing about the iPhone, it's a phone not a tablet. All the good android devices are now too big and unusable with one hand. Apple are right not to go down this road.

That's why they come in mini iPhone sizes too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

copacetic wrote: »
    I think he said when, not who..

When not what

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭laraghrider

FearDark wrote:
    Whats the point in upgrading the already fantastic iPhone 5 to a slightly better iPhone 5?.

You're not supposed to. The iPhone comes with a 2 year contract in most countries so you tend to be on stream I.e. 5 or S. when your contract runs out on your 4S you are in time for the new 5S.

I'm stunned by the 5C price. Utterly baffling

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

That's why they come in mini iPhone sizes too.

There's also the ipad mini

jester77 wrote: »
    There's also the ipad mini

I don't see why they can't do a large iphone and a standard, the market is there if you look at other manufacturers, how long more do you think they can peddle the same size phone with different software?

I couldn't see it being the same in three years time and still selling like hot cakes, seriously, the larger option should be there at this stage.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Herself has never had a smartphone so I hung on till today to see what would happen. The 4S at 399 seems decent, I know only 8gb but she already has an iPod for walking. Are my mad to pay that much?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭Paddy@CIRL

All I wanted from today was a release date for iOS7 and to not feel horrible about my half-way-through-a-two-year-contract iPhone 5.

Today was a good day.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

I was an iPhone user for years and always thought the size of the Android phones was prohibitive. That was until I got an S3 and now I just couldn't go back to an iPhone till it has a screen at least as big as the Samsung. I do reckon that is the limit to what I would find usable. I guess it comes down to the size of your hands too.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

LFCFan wrote: »
    I was an iPhone user for years and always thought the size of the Android phones was prohibitive. That was until I got an S3 and now I just couldn't go back to an iPhone till it has a screen at least as big as the Samsung. I do reckon that is the limit to what I would find usable. I guess it comes down to the size of your hands too.

As someone who continuously goes back and forth from the iPhone5 to the Galaxy S4 I prefer the iPhone's size, it just feels better, can reach everything with one hand. I sold my iPhone and stuck with the Galaxy so I'll probably end up getting the 5s...at some stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭flyguy

Herself has never had a smartphone so I hung on till today to see what would happen. The 4S at 399 seems decent, I know only 8gb but she already has an iPod for walking. Are my mad to pay that much?

Sell the iPod (won't be using it if you've an iPhone) and get a 2nd hand iPhone 5...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

If they go bigger, i will never upgrade. the 5 is borderline for me.

Yeah, same here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,325 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Where did you see the 4S at €399, the current 4 is €399 the didn't say the 4S 8GB will be €399, I'm guessing €499

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

Where did you see the 4S at €399, the current 4 is €399 the didn't say the 4S 8GB will be €399, I'm guessing €499
    http://store.apple.com/ie/iphone

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

FearDark wrote: »
    As someone who continuously goes back and forth from the iPhone5 to the Galaxy S4 I prefer the iPhone's size, it just feels better, can reach everything with one hand. I sold my iPhone and stuck with the Galaxy so I'll probably end up getting the 5s...at some stage.

At the end of the day it's about personal choice so what you or I or anyone else says, it's down to the individual. What I do find hard to listen to is people harping on about one or the other when they have only tried one ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

I'd say the phone companies will heavily discount the 5C and that's how Apple plan to make it accessible to the masses.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,498 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Tried an Android smartphone for a year before, but didn't really warm to the experience. Tempted to explore something like an 8GB 4s, though. Have an iPod classic for commuting and running. 5c seems little baffling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

My ageing 3GS could do with an upgrade and I was expecting the 5c to be around €400 or so, being €600 doesn't make an ounce of sense. I'd really like to upgrade to a 32GB 5S but €800 is just ridiculous money for a phone.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I find it hard to understand how people believe the Apple stock is going to react hugely to a product announcement that lacked any secrecy whatsoever. I mean the only thing we didn't know was coming was the new cases.

Sure, the stock twitches somewhat around these things but the real players involved in the movement of stocks these size do not sit in front of Engadget live feeds pressing F5.

People who buy and sell on foot of these announcements are small fish at best, amateurs at worst.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Stock reacted to pricing of the 5C which was a surprise.

The fact that apple hid the pricing and kept it out of the presentation was illustrative of their awareness that it was high and not what the market was expecting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭_Redzer_

I was going to go with the HTC One for months and was trying to put the money away for it, since then though I've come back to the iPhone again. I'll be upgrading my 4 to a 5S at some stage too. Does everything I want, in a good size, all very well. Can't complain

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

Just getting in, what did I miss?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

Looking at the price of the 5C, I'm really starting to believe that Apple don't look outside the Bill Pay, subsidised market. While this market is huge in the US, with everyone including teenagers sign up to a two year contract for a cheap phone. But the Prepay market is huge in Europe, and they are doing nothing really to accommodate it. The price point bewilders me really, I was sure it would be priced at €350-€400 max before the event, with the iPod Touch price point being altered to fit in at a later date.

At only a $100 (and we can assume €100) difference between the iPhone 5C & 5S, I don't see why anyone wouldn't buy a 5S seeing it is a significant leap in specs. At €600 unlocked, and will be around this price on the Prepay market, no one in their right mind would buy one.

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭andrewdeerpark

I thought Apple were going to announce a cheap entry level iPhone to compete with the Nokia Lumia 520 & 620.

This is a mad strategy especially since a Lumia 520 with do 80% of the smartphone basics and do it fast for 1/3 of the price and it beats the iPhone in the expandable SD memory functionality.

Apple fans will be tested again (open wallets time), everyone else will look at the Nokia Lumia's and Android entry level offerings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

The 5C price is way too high. I thought it would be pitched against mid-range android and windows phones but that's aimed squarely at the high end ones (and better imo).

Finger print scanner is something I'd like to know more about. I can see a security leak in the not too distant future there.

There's nothing there to sway me from my HTC One. The 6 needs to be good as there's a lot of ground being lost in recent years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭kingshankly

I thought Apple were going to announce a cheap entry level iPhone to compete with the Nokia Lumia 520 & 620.

This is a mad strategy especially since a Lumia 520 with do 80% of the smartphone basics and do it fast for 1/3 of the price and it beats the iPhone in the expandable SD memory functionality.

Apple fans will be tested again (open wallets time), everyone else will look at the Nokia Lumia's and Android entry level offerings.

They will still sell bucket loads of them and they will be scarce at first as people just want the latest and best product
    I have had every iPhone since introduction and have to say each one was better that its predecessor. The same can be said for the iPads aswell
    I for one will be in Belfast in a couple of weeks itching to get my hands on the 5s

Just received an email from a UK provider (who's name I will leave out). We have some work phones with them. 5C on a 2 year deal will be £69. That's for the entry plan as well.

Nothing from any Irish providers yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭andrewdeerpark

They will still sell bucket loads of them and they will be scarce at first as people just want the latest and best product
    I have had every iPhone since introduction and have to say each one was better that its predecessor. The same can be said for the iPads aswell
    I for one will be in Belfast in a couple of weeks itching to get my hands on the 5s

I agree they will sell bucket loads and thanks to Apple fans like yourself the company could produce any type of iTurd and it would sell.

The iPhone has been small incremental upgrades from the 4 on innovation long gone from the product.

I think the iPad 2 16GB (the cheapest at around €399) is a fantastic product; an innovative tablet ideal for general internet usage. I do not see the point of the other models and despise the way apple screw the customer for extra storage capacity. As for the retina display bull on the iPad 3; again more Apple screwing the customer.

Anyway people have the right to spend their money as they wish. Good luck queuing in Belfast, if their is one!

• Advertisement

Good luck queuing in Belfast, if their is one!

I'm pretty sure Belfast will still be there!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement