Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Apple Announces September 10th Event

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭_Redzer_

I agree they will sell bucket loads and thanks to Apple fans like yourself the company could produce any type of iTurd and it would sell.

The iPhone has been small incremental upgrades from the 4 on innovation long gone from the product.

I think the iPad 2 16GB (the cheapest at around €399) is a fantastic product; an innovative tablet ideal for general internet usage. I do not see the point of the other models and despise the way apple screw the customer for extra storage capacity. As for the retina display bull on the iPad 3; again more Apple screwing the customer.

Anyway people have the right to spend their money as they wish. Good luck queuing in Belfast, if their is one!

In fairness don't all electronic companies do the same thing, as in small upgrades in the grand scheme of things? I think the S4 is very overrated and is a minute upgrade to the S3, but it's whatever you like and want yourself, who cares?
    But I think these crazy powerful phones are a total waste. How are you going to get the use of it if the majority you do is web browsing and texting? All smartphones are beginning to plateau.

I'd have to disagree about the iPad 3, or any high res screen, there's zero going back if you have one. Better, crisper screens are fantastic, that's screwing nobody.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Well that was pretty poor. A 5C that's pointless at its price point, and an incremental iPhone 5 upgrade that's not worth upgrading to. Not much of an announcement.

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭andrewdeerpark

New Nexus 7 is suppose to have a fantastic screen for just over €250.

Most people only ever use the iPad for surfing and writing email, to complement their laptop or PC, high res screen wasted for most users as the iPad 2 has a pretty good screen already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

Any idea when these will be available in ireland?

What happens if we buy in UK/ Parcel motel regards warranty and potential repair if needed?

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭andrewdeerpark

I'm pretty sure Belfast will still be there!

No Apple store in Republic, even though almost all the billions worldwide Apple make are siphoned through a low tax avoidance company in Cork!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭kingshankly

_Redzer_ wrote: »
    In fairness don't all electronic companies do the same thing, as in small upgrades in the grand scheme of things? I think the S4 is very overrated and is a minute upgrade to the S3, but it's whatever you like and want yourself, who cares?
    But I think these crazy powerful phones are a total waste. How are you going to get the use of it if the majority you do is web browsing and texting? All smartphones are beginning to plateau.

I'd have to disagree about the iPad 3, or any high res screen, there's zero going back if you have one. Better, crisper screens are fantastic, that's screwing nobody.
    It's not just electrical companies take golf for instance a company has so much technology but there's no point putting it all in to 1 driver when you can add a bit at a time and sell 5 of them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

I for one will be in Belfast in a couple of weeks itching to get my hands on the 5s

Why, it will do the exact same thing as your current iPhone 5 except a little faster. Can't understand anyone being in such a rush to get one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 844 ✭✭✭eirlink

They announced iWork is going free with new iPads, so if I buy a new ipad this weekend will it come pre loaded or how do I redeem these free apps, ie pages, numbers, keynote, iMovie and iPhoto..tks

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

eirlink wrote: »
    They announced iWork is going free with new iPads, so if I buy a new ipad this weekend will it come pre loaded or how do I redeem these free apps, ie pages, numbers, keynote, iMovie and iPhoto..tks

They won't come pre-loaded. And it won't work without iOS 7.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,894 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

As a 4S owner coming out of contract next month, the 5S is a winner and I'll be getting one. If I had a 5 though I wouldn't even consider an upgrade.

The 5C is rather pointless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Overall this Apple event has probably been the worse, most underwhelming event of any that i've seen in recent years. The leaks didn't help as there was no surprise with todays announcement, but overall it was nothing too impressive.

Saying that, the iPhone 5S is a solid update, taking a great phone and adding to it with the usual speed and spec updates as well as the one big feature; the fingerprint sensor. Overall loving the 5S, despite the obvious updates that is. Two things I didn't like about it, first one is probably the colour choices. I think they ruined the black/slate iPhone. Gold didn't look as bad as I imagined though. Second is the actual price. I paid €699 for the top end 32GB iPhone 4 a while back. Now the entry level iPhone 5S starts at that price. I don't think i'll be interested or able to afford a new iPhone if they keep increasing prices.

The 5C has me scratching my head even now. It's only €100 cheaper than the 5S, but you lose out on all the speed and specs increases as well as the TouchID sensor, and the beautiful aluminium design. I still like the 5C look, but not for that price. Maybe if they use the same aluminium case as the iPod Touch and dropped the price by another €50 it could be justified but its a mystery to me who'd buy one at that price.

I was also hoping for one or two new iOS 7 features, but either way i'm looking forward to Wednesday so I can get my hands on the finished product.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

DubDJ wrote: »
    I paid €699 for the top end 32GB iPhone 4 a while back. Now the entry level iPhone 5S starts at that price. I don't think i'll be interested or able to afford a new iPhone if they keep increasing prices.

They're not cheap alright, but find me something that is exactly the same price as last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭laraghrider

No Apple store in Republic, even though almost all the billions worldwide Apple make are siphoned through a low tax avoidance company in Cork!

Yeah and U2 route the millions they make through a low tax company in the Netherlands. Amazon and google route their billions through various shadow companies in both Ireland and Jersey. I could go on. What's your point?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Most people only ever use the iPad for surfing and writing email, to complement their laptop or PC, high res screen wasted for most users as the iPad 2 has a pretty good screen already.
    There's nothing wasted about adding a screen that good. In fact I'd say of all the incremental updates to the iPad the retina screen is by far the biggest and best. The same might be said about the iPhone. After the OS, the screen is the single most important thing on a smart device.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 80 ✭✭new_maniac

Dades wrote: »
    There's nothing wasted about adding a screen that good. In fact I'd say of all the incremental updates to the iPad the retina screen is by far the biggest and best. The same might be said about the iPhone. After the OS, the screen is the single most important thing on a smart device.

Agreed, it's probably one of the highest selling points after OS preference on a smart device, arguably because the best spec smartphones are the ones with the best screens

Mr.S wrote: »
    Trying to figure out what the point of the 5C is, €100 in the grand scheme of things is not that much of a difference, if you can afford a 5C you can probably afford the 5S, add in the fact that the 32gb 5C is the *same* price as the 16gb 5S, makes it even more bizzare. What with streaming and cloud services paving the way, big memory phones aren't that important (I have a 32gb but use Netflix / Spotify so I could easily use a 16gb phone).

All I can assume is that the 5C is for people that want a coloured casing with slightly less better specs then the model that is only €100 more, i'm sure they will sell tons but in the grand scheme of things, I don't see why you'd bother with the 5C unless you really wanted a coloured phone.

Hopefully the PAYG prices for the 5C will be decent, but I doubt it going by previous model prices

The 5C is there to make it look like they've released 2 new phones.

What they have actually done is made a new phone, drop the old model, repackage it and sell it as a *new* phone

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Trying to figure out what the point of the 5C is, €100 in the grand scheme of things is not that much of a difference, if you can afford a 5C you can probably afford the 5S, add in the fact that the 32gb 5C is the *same* price as the 16gb 5S, makes it even more bizzare. What with streaming and cloud services paving the way, big memory phones aren't that important (I have a 32gb but use Netflix / Spotify so I could easily use a 16gb phone).

All I can assume is that the 5C is for people that want a coloured casing with slightly less better specs then the model that is only €100 more, i'm sure they will sell tons but in the grand scheme of things, I don't see why you'd bother with the 5C unless you really wanted a coloured phone.

Hopefully the PAYG prices for the 5C will be decent, but I doubt it going by previous model prices

The only thing I can guess is that there will be a big difference on carrier contracts, maybe more aimed at the 48, Tesco Mobile end of the scale, with the 5S as the flagship "business" phone? If the 5C had been €250-200 better than the 5S I probably would have got one to replace my 4S. At the moment, it makes no sense to do that.

Hopefully the pre-pay carrier prices are decent, its all well and fine in the US where you can get the 5C for $99 on a 2 year contract, but pretty much no one uses PAYG in the US, which is obviously not the case here.

I think whats annoying about paying that much money for a device is that you already know it'll start going out of date in a years time when they release a new model....i mean, i'd pay that much money for a laptop, but you know you can hope to get 3-5 years decent use out of it...it would be different if you were paying €300 - €350, rather than more like €600

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭GorillaRising

new_maniac wrote: »
    I think whats annoying about paying that much money for a device is that you already know it'll start going out of date in a years time when they release a new model....i mean, i'd pay that much money for a laptop, but you know you can hope to get 3-5 years decent use out of it...it would be different if you were paying €300 - €350, rather than more like €600

I wouldn't say a device is automatically 'out of date' when a new model comes out.

It's still going to all you need it to. Take the Galaxy S3 for example. If I still had mine I wouldn't bother upgrading to an S4 and if I had a 5 I wouldn't upgrade to a 5s. There are some nice features in the latest models, but nothing groundbreaking that would render the current ones out of date, by any means.

It's just people wanting the newest device because they perceive them to be therefore the best ones for what they need. It's very very rarely the case.

Apart from the die hard fans, I don't think Apple expect you to upgrade every year, hence the "S" models and 2 year contracts, ie if you got a iPhone 5 on a 2 year contract, you wouldn't bother getting the 5S and would upgrade to the iPhone 6!

Oh yeah, of course, but(I probably didn't explain myself very well lol) I was thinking more from a Pay and Go point of view, I personally would find it very difficult throwing a lump sum of cash that large at a device that, in order to keep up with the times, I'd have to replace, fair enough not next year, but even to spend the same amount of money outright again after two years. More just a thought

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

ie if you got a iPhone 5 on a 2 year contract, you wouldn't bother getting the 5S and would upgrade to the iPhone 6!
    That'll be me.

And selling the old phone always pays for the initial cost on contract. Last year selling my iP4 more than paid for the upgrade to the 5. Of course this only works for billpays.

edit: agree regarding pay as you go!

Dades wrote: »
    That'll be me.

And selling the old phone always pays for the initial cost on contract. Last year selling my iP4 more than paid for the upgrade to the 5. Of course this only works for billpays.

edit: agree regarding pay as you go!

That is something worth noting about Apple products that I hadn't really thought about....they really do hold their value in comparison to other devices

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭_Redzer_

Apart from the die hard fans, I don't think Apple expect you to upgrade every year, hence the "S" models and 2 year contracts, ie if you got a iPhone 5 on a 2 year contract, you wouldn't bother getting the 5S and would upgrade to the iPhone 6!

Exactly. I used to think the opposite way and say why are they making such small improvements, but I realise that I won't be upgrading annually and the upgrades add up, especially coming from my 4. It's the same deal with all other manufactures. I wouldn't upgrade from an S3 to an S4 because the improvements are marginal as well. You see the difference 2-3 years on.

_Redzer_ wrote: »
    Exactly. I used to think the opposite way and say why are they making such small improvements, but I realise that I won't be upgrading annually and the upgrades add up, especially coming from my 4. It's the same deal with all other manufactures. I wouldn't upgrade from an S3 to an S4 because the improvements are marginal as well. You see the difference 2-3 years on.

Yeah, I can see the logic in this, something I hadn't really thought about either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭keith_d99

new_maniac wrote: »
    Yeah, I can see the logic in this, something I hadn't really thought about either

I upgrade every 2 years ... selling the old one usually finances the upgrade!
    I am going from 4S to 5S.

Went from 3GS to 4S a couple of years ago
    - Loved the camera upgrade, the retina screen and the huge jump in performance.

I expect the same from the 4S - 5S:
    Expecting camera to be improved.
    Jump in hardware performance and the fingerprint sensor should be good over time (once the Devs get at it also)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

Devs won't get access to the finger sensor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

guil wrote: »

Spot on.

Why not in in next version of iOS?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

keith_d99 wrote: »
    Why not in in next version of iOS?

Watch the 5s video. I think it was Ives that said they will never have access to it

• Advertisement

Watch the 5s video. I think it was Ives that said they will never have access to it

Fair enough - I stand corrected

Still - will be nice not having to enter passcodes and iTunes passwords.
    Reviews of the new tech have been positive

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement