Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Apple Announces September 10th Event

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

They'd be better off just going with iPhone 6 and forgetting all these sub versions of 5X

It's sounding like Tesco's strategy :

Value iPhone
    iPhone
    Finest* iPhone

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭madness98

iOS has taken designs cues from android and vice versa, t'is no biggy.

Good point, I never really thought of the similarities going both ways, but you're definitely right

SpaceTime wrote: »
    They'd be better off just going with iPhone 6 and forgetting all these sub versions of 5X

It's sounding like Tesco's strategy :

Value iPhone
    iPhone
    Finest* iPhone

I think you're right, I've always seen Apple as a high end device maker rather than having a range of high, mid and low end stuff.

All the same I'm looking forward to handling the 5c just to see what it's like, I've always known Apples manufacturing quality to be very high so even for a mid/low end device i'm still expecting it to look pretty slick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

madness98 wrote: »
    Good point, I never really thought of the similarities going both ways, but you're definitely right

I think you're right, I've always seen Apple as a high end device maker rather than having a range of high, mid and low end stuff.

All the same I'm looking forward to handling the 5c just to see what it's like, I've always known Apples manufacturing quality to be very high so even for a mid/low end device i'm still expecting it to look pretty slick

I wonder if the 5C will have the same Apple warranty as they all fall apart in our little hands.

I personally don't like the idea of a 5C. Will carry a Porsche Boxster stigma too. How about you bring out expandable memory Apple? !!!!!! :mad:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

i wouldnt say no to a Porsche Boxster

godtabh wrote: »
    i wouldnt say no to a Porsche Boxster

Neither would I, but the stigma still lives.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 531 ✭✭✭BanjoB

I've had all the iPhones since the 3GS and this is the first year I really don't care about the new releases.

The 5C is absolutely pointless for someone like me and a 5S with minor upgrades is just too little.

I'm looking at the S4 right now but I'll probably just keep the 5 and see what they do with the iPhone 6.

goz83 wrote: »
    I wonder if the 5C will have the same Apple warranty as they all fall apart in our little hands.

I personally don't like the idea of a 5C. Will carry a Porsche Boxster stigma too. How about you bring out expandable memory Apple? !!!!!! :mad:

Well I imagine the 5C is aimed at a younger audience (younger teenagers), who are spending their parents money rather than their own??

Expandable memory would be nice, but really when you have 16, 32 or 64Gb of memory, do you really need to carry anymore data on your phone? I think I'd just move to my laptop for stuff like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

madness98 wrote: »
    Well I imagine the 5C is aimed at a younger audience (younger teenagers), who are spending their parents money rather than their own??

Expandable memory would be nice, but really when you have 16, 32 or 64Gb of memory, do you really need to carry anymore data on your phone? I think I'd just move to my laptop for stuff like that.
    Apps nowadays can easily be a gb or more, particularly games. That and music fills up 16gb in no time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

goz83 wrote: »

Stumped as to why you think a plastic phone is going to fall apart more so than an aluminium one? Have you forgotten that majority of Samsung phones are plastic? And that apple too make a plastic flagship phone before (iPhone 3G).

Also like it or not expandable memory is dead. A combination of flash and cloud is the future and that's why apple have chosen it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

Stumped as to why you think a plastic phone is going to fall apart more so than an aluminium one? Have you forgotten that majority of Samsung phones are plastic? And that apple too make a plastic flagship phone before (iPhone 3G).

Also like it or not expandable memory is dead. A combination of flash and cloud is the future and that's why apple have chosen it.

Its not that its dead, its just that it takes up space to include a housing for it.The chips are easily lost, Apple are already trying to remove the necessity of having a sim card, I doubt they'd revert back to expandable memory,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

If the 5S is going to be the same type of upgrade as the 4S was, I wouldn't call it minor.

Sure the screen and body will look the same but internally everything will be upgraded.

Better/faster processor

Bigger battery

Better camera

Improved antennas

Exclusive software

I'm still hoping for some kind of surprise. 99% of the rumours have been about the 5C.

Personally, non of the phone that have been announced so far going back to the htc One and GS4 Xperia Z to all the latest announcements have excited me.

Another reason for me to stay with Apple is that they make it extremely easy to swap defective products.

I sold my iPhone 5 ahead of the new release and got the Ativ S (as it was so cheap) to try a different OS/larger screen/AMOLED.

I'm ready now to go back to iOS and a phone that I can easily use with one hand.

Sure it's nice to show off photos and videos on a larger screen but that's only 1% of what I use a smartphone for.

If I really want to do some couch surfing I use my retina iPad, watching movies I reserve for my large screen Plasma.

Like I said in a different thread. My body is ready. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭Graham_B18C

While I agree that the 4s was a fairly big upgrade over the 4, the battery has yet to be as good as it was on the 4. Up to 300 hours standby on the 4, 200 on the 4s and 225 on the 5

if the leaked parts for the 5S are real, it looks like they've shrank the main board ever so slightly to make room for a bigger battery. I'd hope the battery life would get better.

mad muffin wrote: »
    Sure it's nice to show off photos and videos on a larger screen but that's only 1% of what I use a smartphone for.

If I really want to do some couch surfing I use my retina iPad, watching movies I reserve for my large screen Plasma.

I kind of think the same way, different devices for different purposes.

Was a hint of a joke about them falling apart. My wondering was about the quality of the build really. The 4/4S had better build quality than the current 5 imo, as the back case was glass and less prone to scratch like the 5.

I have a 32gb 5. It suits me fine, but expandable memory is always better. Not everyone wants to put their stuff into the cloud and pay annual subscriptions for more space. At least you own the memory when you buy it, but that's not the case with clouds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,906 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

Really wanted to see Mavericks coming next week but it seems like it's going to be late October now. Don't even expect it to be mentioned until October's iPad & Mac event.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

Aodhagan wrote: »
    Really wanted to see Mavericks coming next week but it seems like it's going to be late October now. Don't even expect it to be mentioned until October's iPad & Mac event.

Its strange because from what I've heard from a guy I know is that Mavericks started development around the time Mountain Lion started. Probably a reason why developers were moved over to iOS development.

Not to mention how stable it is. I'd be surprised if it wasnt released this week along with the Haswell rMBP's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Is a retina ipad mini expected to be announced?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

mdwexford wrote: »
    Is a retina ipad mini expected to be announced?

No, not at this event. Probably at another in October.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 352 ✭✭funt cucker

I hope they come out with a phone with a large screen at some stage soon, I'm getting a bit peeved with the same old stuff for the last few years.

• Advertisement

I hope they come out with a phone with a large screen at some stage soon, I'm getting a bit peeved with the same old stuff for the last few years.

You going to be waiting awhile. Apple have only laid the foundation for larger screen phone this year with auto layout they'll want to have a huge amounts of apps ready optimised for larger screen which is android's biggest problem still.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭crow2

I own a Samsung.

Was wondering.. where is the back button on iphones?

I was using some ipad and I had to press the circle button to go back (using for something else than internet).Contrary on my Samsung there is a return button and didn't have to struggle.

You going to be waiting awhile. Apple have only laid the foundation for larger screen phone this year with auto layout they'll want to have a huge amounts of apps ready optimised for larger screen which is android's biggest problem still.

Ahh blast it! I'm due an upgrade and I want something new, do I go to the dark side or stick with it? I'm torn at the moment, the 5 did nothing for me, it was essentially the 4, So I am expecting big changes soon I hope. Interesting times.:D

Ahh blast it! I'm due an upgrade and I want something new, do I go to the dark side or stick with it? I'm torn at the moment, the 5 did nothing for me, it was essentially the 4, So I am expecting big changes soon I hope. Interesting times.:D

The 5 was a complete redesign and the only thing it had in common with the 4 was the home button. It was longer, thinner, lighter, faster and so on.

You'll be disappointed come Tuesday as the 5s will be practically an iPhone 4 ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

crow2 wrote: »
    I own a Samsung.

Was wondering.. where is the back button on iphones?

I was using some ipad and I had to press the circle button to go back (using for something else than internet).Contrary on my Samsung there is a return button and didn't have to struggle.

The circle button is the the home button. It brings you back to the main screen which lists all your apps.

The back button itself is embedded in the apps on iOS devices. So to go back it's usually in the top left of the screen. I don't know where you get a struggle from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

The 'back' button is pretty much always in the top left hand corner of the screen :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭GorillaRising

banquo wrote: »
    The 'back' button is pretty much always in the top left hand corner of the screen :)

Bottom right. The arrow brings you back too.

Hardly going to have to hit the top left on a 5" screen. :P

The 5 was a complete redesign and the only thing it had in common with the 4 was the home button. It was longer, thinner, lighter, faster and so on.

You'll be disappointed come Tuesday as the 5s will be practically an iPhone 4 ;)

A faster longer 4 essentially, not really awe inspiring in fairness. I think the IOS 7 is update is what will keep me buying apple for now.

A faster longer 4 essentially, not really awe inspiring in fairness. I think the IOS 7 is update is what will keep me buying apple for now.

We will have to agree to disagree but making something lighter, thinner, faster and have the same battery life within 12 months is pretty awe inspiring if you ask me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,252 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

We will have to agree to disagree but making something lighter, thinner, faster and have the same battery life within 12 months is pretty awe inspiring if you ask me.

To be fair though, that is pretty standard across the board with most electronics companies.

The 5 is a great phone, but to say it's a complete redesign of the 4 is a bit over the top.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement