Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Apple Announces September 10th Event

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

Sonics2k wrote: »
    To be fair though, that is pretty standard across the board with most electronics companies.

The 5 is a great phone, but to say it's a complete redesign of the 4 is a bit over the top.
    Except that it technically, physically is totally different. It may share visual similarities, but its totally unique to the 4.. and the 4s for that matter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭GorillaRising

miralize wrote: »
    Except that it technically, physically is totally different. It may share visual similarities, but its totally unique to the 4.. and the 4s for that matter

When Samsung, HTC, Apple etc release a new phone, it's usually technically different and only slightly visually different.

Hardly 'awe inspiring' on Apple's part.

When Samsung, HTC, Apple etc release a new phone, it's usually technically different and only slightly visually different.

Hardly 'awe inspiring' on Apple's part.

Did I say it was? I just said that its hugely different. They have to reconfigure the insides each year for new components, in a casing thats both nice to look at and structurally sound. Theres not enough time to release a newly designed phone on the outside each year because they're focused on the inside, which to be honest is what matters most.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 352 ✭✭funt cucker

NOT, I have a 4 for company business (issued by company) and I have a 5 as a personal, I do not see the difference, longer screen-yes, different covering- yes, actual difference in performance........ debatable. The 5 is not a shocking new phone, it's a longer faster 4.

I will dispute the battery life stuff, the 5 is shíte on battery life.

NOT, I have a 4 for company business (issued by company) and I have a 5 as a personal, I do not see the difference, longer screen-yes, different covering- yes, actual difference in performance........ debatable. The 5 is not a shocking new phone, it's a longer faster 4.

Youre missing my point. The phone is different, thats not debatable. If you want a completely new experience, switch manufacturers. But you cant expect Apple to change things drastically year after year. Consistency gives them the high standards that they expect.

And battery life, along with product satisfactory by the way, is totally subjective. For me, the iPhone 5 has had a much better battery than the 4s.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

I think if I was buying a phone from a manufacturer regularly, and they changed it completely every year, I would go insane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

You don't see a difference in performance between the iPhone 5 and 4?:confused:

Surely you jest?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Through the iPhone history the two major redesigns were the iPhone 4 and the iPhone 5 imo. They were the two biggest steps forward in both design and specs. I had the 3GS, and then went to the 4. The changes were big ones for me. I absolutely loved the iPhone 4.

I then upgraded to the 5. Again that was a big difference in both design and speed. And I definitely noticed a huge speed difference between each upgrade. iOS doesn't get a major redesign every year. That's what I love about it, so iOS 7 was a shocker for me. Even though they did overhaul the UI, the OS works pretty much the same as before. I think it would be ridiculous to completely redesign a phone and OS every year. Keep what's great, but build on it and add to it. That's the best way to provide a consistent experience.

mad muffin wrote: »
    You don't see a difference in performance between the iPhone 5 and 4?:confused:

Surely you jest?

It's down to what I use them for, the 4 was primary at one stage, now the 4 is for business and the 5 is for pleasure. Personal opinion is that they are the same phone, be it faster or whatever. Same stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭GorillaRising

Did I say it was? I just said that its hugely different. They have to reconfigure the insides each year for new components, in a casing thats both nice to look at and structurally sound. Theres not enough time to release a newly designed phone on the outside each year because they're focused on the inside, which to be honest is what matters most.

No, but you were responding to a post which in turn was responding to one when it was called so by Creamy Goodness, which was the post I was referring to when responding to your post...is all.

I agree with the rest.

• Advertisement

banquo wrote: »
    I think if I was buying a phone from a manufacturer regularly, and they changed it completely every year, I would go insane.

I will agree with you there, but the iPhone is basically the same sine 2007, be it faster, longer better screen or whatever. There is no adjustment to screen width or software. IOS7 seems to be the ultimate change this year, and I hope it changes the game for apple. I haven't used the beta versions of it so I don't know what it will be like.

If IOS7 is a game changer accompanied with a "new" different phone, then that would be ground breaking for me, up to now there really has been no change since the change between the iPhone 3gs and the 4, that's a personal opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Your personal opinion is wrong.

Hope this helps.

mdwexford wrote: »
    Your personal opinion is wrong.

Hope this helps.

By default that means yours is too:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

It's down to what I use them for, the 4 was primary at one stage, now the 4 is for business and the 5 is for pleasure. Personal opinion is that they are the same phone, be it faster or whatever. Same stuff

They are the same OS, generally similar/same hardware with improvements in processing power, display, etc
    It's all about incremental upgrading not revolutionary. If they were too revolutionary they would probably confuse existing iPhone users and potentially send them off elsewhere.

The Android OEMs have to put a lot more effort into differentiating themselves from the competition as they do not have their own OS or ecosystem of developers in the App Store / Play Store.

The basic concepts and user interface metaphors have now been arrived at for iOS and Android and the speed of change is going to slow down in terms of UI design and other aspects. It will never be as radical as the very earliest days of smart phone development for either system.

The way I see it, it's 2013, coming up to 7 years since the first iPhone was introduced at Macworld. A lot has changed since then, Android is iOS's biggest competitor and both sides are doing great and selling huge numbers. The problem now is both sides have run out of major ideas, and Apple as well as other Manufactures like Samsung have run out of new features for the devices too.

Both Apple and every Android maker are relying on gimmicky features to keep selling their devices. Look at Siri, S-Voice, all those new gesture features on the S4, and now the iPhone 5S with the rumoured fingerprint senser. Both sides have ran out of big revolutionary ideas and are adding things people might not use.

I think the reason Apple get so much hate and backlash is that people expect Apple to be the leader and bring out all these new amazing features and updates. After every announcement it's the same 'big whoop' kinda comments you see. Apple aren't shocking people with new innovations anymore, but neither is anybody else. I don't know one major update to an Android device that would make me say 'woah that's brilliant'.

I think at this stage both sides are on level ground, and top end phones usually run similarly on every platform. It's also about OS preference for me, hardware wise screen size is the decider. iOS and a 4" screen are perfect for me and I won't be changing my mind, I'm not expecting anything shocking from Tuesdays announcement either.

DubDJ wrote: »
    The way I see it, it's 2013, coming up to 7 years since the first iPhone was introduced at Macworld. A lot has changed since then, Android is iOS's biggest competitor and both sides are doing great and selling huge numbers. The problem now is both sides have run out of major ideas, and Apple as well as other Manufactures like Samsung have run out of new features for the devices too.

Both Apple and every Android maker are relying on gimmicky features to keep selling their devices. Look at Siri, S-Voice, all those new gesture features on the S4, and now the iPhone 5S with the rumoured fingerprint senser. Both sides have ran out of big revolutionary ideas and are adding things people might not use.

I think the reason Apple get so much hate and backlash is that people expect Apple to be the leader and bring out all these new amazing features and updates. After every announcement it's the same 'big whoop' kinda comments you see. Apple aren't shocking people with new innovations anymore, but neither is anybody else. I don't know one major update to an Android device that would make me say 'woah that's brilliant'.

I think at this stage both sides are on level ground, and top end phones usually run similarly on every platform. It's also about OS preference for me, hardware wise screen size is the decider. iOS and a 4" screen are perfect for me and I won't be changing my mind, I'm not expecting anything shocking from Tuesdays announcement either.

I agree with everything you said. But apple should bring out a bigger iPhone as well as the standard, other manufacturers do it, why not have an iPhone the size of a galaxy S4?

And that's why I want, and many others want that option. I have all the iPhones since the Iphone 2. I want a larger screen like the galaxy S4, but I don't want to move away from apple, all my stuff is there where I want it, I would just love a bigger screen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

I just want a longer battery life, it's shocking bad and I have the 5.

Autosport wrote: »
    I just want a longer battery life, it's shocking bad and I have the 5.

Shíte isn't it? apple hardcore fans will dispute this.

I agree with everything you said. But apple should bring out a bigger iPhone as well as the standard, other manufacturers do it, why not have an iPhone the size of a galaxy S4?

And that's why I want, and many others want that option. I have all the iPhones since the Iphone 2. I want a larger screen like the galaxy S4, but I don't want to move away from apple, all my stuff is there where I want it, I would just love a bigger screen.

They dont because for a few reasons
    1. Larger screen sizes reduce the ability to use the phone effectively with one hand
    2. Apple dont want to fall into the same traps that Android did. Its very easy for developers to know what devices and screen sizes they're building for.
    3. Its not as if they're cash strapped, they dont have to

Sounds to me like you're unhappy with what Apple is producing, maybe its time to switch?

They dont because for a few reasons
    1. Larger screen sizes reduce the ability to use the phone effectively with one hand
    2. Apple dont want to fall into the same traps that Android did. Its very easy for developers to know what devices and screen sizes they're building for.
    3. Its not as if they're cash strapped, they dont have to

Sounds to me like you're unhappy with what Apple is producing, maybe its time to switch?

A larger phone would increase the ability to add hardware, not unhappy with apple, just want a larger screen.

• Advertisement

A larger phone would increase the ability to add hardware, not unhappy with apple, just want a larger screen.

:confused:

More space c'mon now:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

think he/she means the housing will have to be bigger to house the screen so Apple could add in silly things like NFC :pac:

think he/she means the housing will have to be bigger to house the screen so Apple could add in silly things like NFC :pac:

Feck NFC, overrated, we need the space for an ape detector, so when I bring the kids to the zoo, I can detect ape's.:pac:

Ahh right. But then that would affect the weight, an infamous selling point Apple constantly makes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭L5

Apple are supposedly testing up to 6inch screens for future iPhones.
    Wouldn't be surprised to see a 5 inch + screen on the iphone 6 next year.

http://m.ie.ign.com/articles/2013/09/06/apple-reportedly-testing-6-inch-iphone

As a lot of the posters have mentioned its not as simple as increasing the size for Apple. The layout for apps is one thing, if they scaled icon sizes up and spread them out a little more like the iPad then they'd have to make sure the apps could be scaled up easily enough too. Its a nightmare for developers.

I was surprised with the longer iPhone 5. I think at this point i've one or two apps left that haven't been optimised. None that are important though, so maybe with that learning step they could possibly introduce a larger screen. I just hope they still offer a smaller screen for the small handed among us like myself :D

As a lot of the posters have mentioned its not as simple as increasing the size for Apple. The layout for apps is one thing, if they scaled icon sizes up and spread them out a little more like the iPad then they'd have to make sure the apps could be scaled up easily enough too. Its a nightmare for developers.

I was surprised with the longer iPhone 5. I think at this point i've one or two apps left that haven't been optimised. None that are important though, so maybe with that learning step they could possibly introduce a larger screen. I just hope they still offer a smaller screen for the small handed among us like myself :D

precisely my point, a larger screen for people that want it and the standard for those that are happy with the current status quo.

precisely my point, a larger screen for people that want it and the standard for those that are happy with the current status quo.

Hold tight and see what happens. I'm really curious what will be announced come next year, from all smartphone manufacturers. What else could they possibly upgrade other than the usuals.

• Advertisement

Hold tight and see what happens. I'm really curious what will be announced come next year, from all smartphone manufacturers. What else could they possibly upgrade other than the usuals.

I really don't want to move away from apple, I love their simplicity and software, a bigger phone would just be the icing on the cake.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement