Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Apple Announces September 10th Event

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

NFC still hasn't really found mainstream use. There are a few niche uses but I haven't really seen anyone making serious regular use of it.

I've an NFC enabled HTC One and I have nothing to NFC in Ireland anyway.

It might be useful if you could load a bus ticket on as an app. However it's pretty pointless at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭madness98

SpaceTime wrote: »
    NFC still hasn't really found mainstream use. There are a few niche uses but I haven't really seen anyone making serious regular use of it.

I've an NFC enabled HTC One and I have nothing to NFC in Ireland anyway.

It might be useful if you could load a bus ticket on as an app. However it's pretty pointless at the moment.

I can't really see apple including NFC to be honest, I'd say they want to be as little like android devices as possible.

I'm also not sure they'd make the screen larger, from a sales point of view they'd probably want you to buy an iPhone and an iPad/iPad Mini (which would act as your larger screen apple device)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

if apple add nfc, you can be as sure as hell it will start cropping up EVERYWHERE!

if apple add nfc, you can be as sure as hell it will start cropping up EVERYWHERE!

Valid point....out of interest, does anyone use passbook and what are your thoughts on it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

madness98 wrote: »
    Valid point....out of interest, does anyone use passbook and what are your thoughts on it?

Handy for the likes of Subway and Starbucks, havent used it yet for boarding passes though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

I personally like the idea of NFC, even if only for something like those smart tags. I think if done properly they could be a great idea. That's something I'd like to see added, kind of semi-automation on the iPhone. For example placing your iPhone on your desk at night and the smart tag triggers Do Not Disturb to be enabled. Stuff like that would be welcome additions.

DubDJ wrote: »
    I personally like the idea of NFC, even if only for something like those smart tags. I think if done properly they could be a great idea. That's something I'd like to see added, kind of semi-automation on the iPhone. For example placing your iPhone on your desk at night and the smart tag triggers Do Not Disturb to be enabled. Stuff like that would be welcome additions.

Surely the way DND works now is a better implementation, as in have it time-based?

miralize wrote: »
    Surely the way DND works now is a better implementation, as in have it time-based?

It's pretty handy the way it is, but you might sleep earlier some nights, and still be woken up as it hasn't activated yet. That was just an example really. Maybe when you arrive at work and place it on your desk your phone silences. I know I've been in plenty of situations where I forgot to switch on silent. I just like the idea of it. One of the few things on Android I'd like to see on iOS.

madness98 wrote: »
    yes, use it for quite a few ticketed events mostly tech conferences. used it once for boarding pass. works well.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

This is my non-upgrade year for iPhones but interested nonetheless. Hopefully they'll have a bigger screen size to offer next year along with the current one.

I assume the general release of iOS7 won't have any surprises?

• Advertisement

This latest story from 9To5 says there's a possibility for NFC in the new 5S. Which would be an interesting addition. But I'd imagine it would be restricted and only useful for contactless payments.

This latest story from 9To5 says there's a possibility for NFC in the new 5S. Which would be an interesting addition. But I'd imagine it would be restricted and only useful for contactless payments.
    tbh that's the only good use of NFC, how often do you want to send pictures to a loved one through a pane of glass like samsung make you believe?

I have yet to see an NFC terminal.

I use one at least once a week. plenty of shops in dublin have them (never used a phone against one though as I've an iPhone :pac:).

I use one at least once a week. plenty of shops in dublin have them (never used a phone against one though as I've an iPhone :pac:).

Well I guess I am in Limerick, so... :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

Doesn't McDonald's use them?

guil wrote: »

Do they?

guil wrote: »
    yup, well the last time I was in one - few months ago - they did.

Do they?

Yes they do

McDonnalds, Boots and a few selected Spar shops use NFC payments. It's really starting to take off now. Certainly speeds things up.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,736 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Most existing ones have the NFC integrated.
    My mate is an Assistant Manager in Euro Spar, his gets feck all use!

Also, i was up in Pro Parts the other day, and Richie's terminal is NFC enabled too but useless as the max transaction is €15 so you cant really buy much with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

Yeah I used my card in McDonald's to pay by NFC. Like a child getting to use a new toy haha

I'm actually starting to get quite excited about the event now, is it likely they'll release more than just 2 new iPhones? Updated iPods perhaps?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

If the event is tomorrow, is it usual for the phones to be available immediately in the USA or will they announce a future date?

smurfjed wrote: »
    If the event is tomorrow, is it usual for the phones to be available immediately in the USA or will they announce a future date?

I've heard a few voices saying 2 weeks from the announcement for release, but can anyone here add to that?

bummer.... i will be there Friday, so i guess there's no point in going to the 5th Avenue Apple store.

bummer.... i will be there Friday, so i guess there's no point in going to the 5th Avenue Apple store.

I'd go to the Apple Store for a nosey anyway, it's nice the way they have all their devices just sitting out

Wait to see what dates they give. They get better each year

I would pay the sales tax on the 5S, but for anything else i will wait for my next trip as the destination is Delaware, a tax free state.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

McDonnalds, Boots and a few selected Spar shops use NFC payments. It's really starting to take off now. Certainly speeds things up.
    Great that's it starting to take off now - the only thing is that most of our bastard banks will be charging 20c to wave your card at one of those machines whether you're buying a Curly Wurly or your dinner. (I believe AIB has "waived" this until 2014 - I assume to await the proliferation of these machines so they can mop up on small transactions once we're hooked on them...)

So yaaaay - cashless transactions that cost you more cash. Hello Ireland.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement