Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Apple Announces September 10th Event

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,907 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

madness98 wrote: »
    I've heard a few voices saying 2 weeks from the announcement for release, but can anyone here add to that?

Announcement is on the 10th, Pre-Ordering begins on the 13th & release on the 20th for the big countries (USA, UK, France, Canada, Germany etc) and Ireland are likely to be the 27th.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 903 ✭✭✭Herrick

In regards to them announcing the public release of iOS7, if they announce it tmw would it be a release in the next few days or will it be more of a few weeks wait would ye say?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

There's NFC from bank cards for contactless payments, but given that the Irish banks move at the speed of a snail on tranquilisers when it comes to trying new technologies, it's highly unlikely any of them will implement NFC payment through mobile devices anytime soon.

They could have done it with Android by now if they had wanted to.

Leap (for busses, trains, etc) is an NFC card too and that could in theory be an app on your phone.

If payment solutions come about, they won't be from the banks, PayPal and Google Wallet are more likely.

Apple has introduced other stuff like Passbook which absolutely no Irish retailer uses rendering it totally pointless here. The same is happening with NFC from what I can see.

We aren't a very innovative market when it comes to transactional and retail technology and it's largely down to very technologically conservative banks.

Bear in mind they only introduced Laser debit cards in 1996, making it probably the last debit card rollout in the developed world!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭jakdublin

Herrick wrote: »
    In regards to them announcing the public release of iOS7, if they announce it tmw would it be a release in the next few days or will it be more of a few weeks wait would ye say?

Saw a rumour that it'll be out on September 16.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Herrick wrote: »

Usually the Golden Master is released on the day of the announcement followed by the public release a few days before the iPhone release. So say the 17th/18th of September.

There is a possibility the iPad release will be pushed back to October to coincide with the iPad refresh and also as a lot of users said the iPad version isn't as stable as the iPhone one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Falcon.ie

Hey I'm living in Astoria, Queens and I just popped into my local ATT on route home, I know 2 of the guys from my local 5-a-side and they said ATT have block cancelled all Holidays from the 20th to 28th. Mentioning it'll probably be a 21st of September launch.

Falcon.ie wrote: »
    Hey I'm living in Astoria, Queens and I just popped into my local ATT on route home, I know 2 of the guys from my local 5-a-side and they said ATT have block cancelled all Holidays from the 20th to 28th. Mentioning it'll probably be a 21st of September launch.

I'd be 99% sure that the 21st won't be the date, especially since it's a Saturday. Historically Apple have released the new iPhone on a Friday, which will probably signal the date will be the 20th.

It's been rumoured online for a few days now with a similar situation with carriers in the US blocking staff from taking holidays during that period. So i'd set the official Tier 1 release date as the 20th.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭prettyboy81

I must check when I get home to see are they showing this event through Apple TV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

SpaceTime wrote: »
    There's NFC from bank cards for contactless payments, but given that the Irish banks move at the speed of a snail on tranquilisers when it comes to trying new technologies, it's highly unlikely any of them will implement NFC payment through mobile devices anytime soon.

Leap (for busses, trains, etc) is an NFC card too and that could in theory be an app on your phone.

If payment solutions come about, they won't be from the banks, PayPal and Google Wallet are more likely.

Apple has introduced other stuff like Passbook which absolutely no Irish retailer uses rendering it totally pointless here. The same is happening with NFC from what I can see.

We aren't a very innovative market when it comes to transactional and retail technology and it's largely down to very technologically conservative banks.

Bear in mind they only introduced Laser debit cards in 1996, making it probably the last debit card rollout in the developed world!
    think of it this crazy idea:

you buy a brand new 5S that has NFC and fingerprint scanner.

upon booting it up it asks you to hold your debit/credit cards that have contactless chips in them to the back of the 5S, asks you to place your thumb on the sensor and then your cards are saved securely to your device.

you then, when paying for something instead of tapping your card you hold up your phone, but for the data transfer to take place you need your thumb on the fingerprint sensor.

it's a little crazy but it *could* work.

the reason NFC payments haven't taken off with android is pure and simple, anyone who has an android and is lucky to have NFC don't trust it. There's also no one defacto way to do it. no one telling them this is what you do.

the solution i outlined above is simple, frictionless and more apple like. makes your life easier without the need for an external payment provider. It just stops the need to carry your bank cards around.

All fine and well but the banks would probably never allow it.

They're very very cautious about new technology (unlike their lending policies over the years!)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

The banks don't need to be involved. Apple has credit card info.

Passbook is just rubbish. Why is that "pass" anymore useful than an email?

EDIT: so all apple need to do is produce a device which transmits the sale prices for retailers. This will replace the credit card reader but be contactless. Then the device is billed the amount, the user accepts, and his credit card is debited at a later date. It would be great to have a full itemised bill but I don't see apple making a cash register.

No need to store credit cards. They are already stored for most people with apple ids.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

Not that I see this happening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 80 ✭✭new_maniac

I think the bit in bold is a better soloution, i'd much rather have my cards secured inside a paypal account, doesn't NFC store your sort code and account number on the device?

I've never seen an email sit on the lockscreen the day of an event, inform me if my departure gate changes or vibrate my phone when I arrive at departures in an airport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

Plus, I haven't seen my Starbucks card pop up automatically as soon as I walk into one with an email. It's a good setup.

The banks have the transaction network thought and usually protect it by lobbying for laws to grant exclusive licences to operate 'merchant services' like card terminals and bank accounts.

Legal monopolies

The banks have the transaction network thought and usually protect it by lobbying for laws to grant exclusive licences to operate 'merchant services' like card terminals and bank accounts.

Legal monopolies

I hate banks lol

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Banks will only embrace this stuff when they can easily monetise it. Until then there's nothing in it for them.

The new iPhone 5S and packaging has leaked out. It's so much better than last years update :P
    271090.jpg

Well I suppose your iHat would revolutionize the way you use your iWatch, which would in turn make the experience of using your iPhone more magical

• Advertisement

Still no stream details for the event today. Even the ATV hasn't been updated with the Events App. I look forward to watching the events live, it's so much more enjoyable. Hope I don't have to go back to those crappy liveblogs again. It's getting a bit late in the day though. Usually the stream link would be available by now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

DubDJ wrote: »
    Still no stream details for the event today. Even the ATV hasn't been updated with the Events App. I look forward to watching the events live, it's so much more enjoyable. Hope I don't have to go back to those crappy liveblogs again. It's getting a bit late in the day though. Usually the stream link would be available by now.

Ahh theres something magical about having 3 browser windows open o the Verge, Macroumours and Ars Technica while following your Twitter stream cry with hysterical joy

miralize wrote: »
    Ahh theres something magical about having 3 browser windows open o the Verge, Macroumours and Ars Technica while following your Twitter stream cry with hysterical joy

It was fine when they stopped the streams but after giving them back to us it would be cruel taking them away again :(

I usually do the live blogs while watching the event as it often gives extra details to the actual event. Even better I'd love to be at these things myself :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

Not certain but I thought Engadget were doing a stream?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭Brian017

The store is down. I dunno why they need to take it down to update products but anyway. To drum up hype I suppose.

Brian017 wrote: »
    The store is store. I dunno why they need to take it down to update products but anyway. To drum up hype I suppose.
    it's the only reason they do it and it works.

I'm actually pleasantly surprised by the lack of leaks today. I thought we'd know pretty much full details by now. Looking forward to this now, this will also include information about Macs and iPods too or is that a seperate event? Mac Mini specifically?

I'm actually pleasantly surprised by the lack of leaks today. I thought we'd know pretty much full details by now. Looking forward to this now, this will also include information about Macs and iPods too or is that a seperate event? Mac Mini specifically?

It's probably gonna be iOS 7, iPhone 5S & iPhone 5C. And a mention to iPads, Macs and OS X coming later this year.

I'm actually pleasantly surprised by the lack of leaks today. I thought we'd know pretty much full details by now. Looking forward to this now, this will also include information about Macs and iPods too or is that a separate event? Mac Mini specifically?

I'm thinking yes though because I remember they announced all the new iPod's at last Septembers event

• Advertisement

It's probably gonna be iOS 7, iPhone 5S & iPhone 5C. And a mention to iPads, Macs and OS X coming later this year.

Cheers, thought I had read somewhere that there would be some information on Macs. OS X Mavericks is the next OS right? I thought they already went through that at WWDC or whatever the developers conference is called?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement