Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Apple Announces September 10th Event

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Cheers, thought I had read somewhere that there would be some information on Macs. OS X Mavericks is the next OS right? I thought they already went through that at WWDC or whatever the developers conference is called?

Yeah it was announced in June at WWDC. Another event is expected for October where the iPad and iPad mini will be updated, also possible the iPad version of iOS 7 will be pushed back till then. New Macs will probably be announced too with the public release of OS X Mavricks. It's all just rumour and speculation for now though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 80 ✭✭new_maniac

DubDJ wrote: »
    Yeah it was announced in June at WWDC. Another event is expected for October where the iPad and iPad mini will be updated, also possible the iPad version of iOS 7 will be pushed back till then. New Macs will probably be announced too with the public release of OS X Mavricks. It's all just rumour and speculation for now though.

Just in time for Christmas....

Dear Santa,

May I have everything that Apple have released this year....lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

Any idea if they are likely to release a retina Macbook air this year?

I've been holding off on getting an air in the hope of getting a retina display

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,452 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

liveblog from engadget..starting at 6pm./.

http://www.engadget.com/2013/09/10/apple-iphone-liveblog-2013/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭The One Who Knocks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

x43r0 wrote: »
    Any idea if they are likely to release a retina Macbook air this year?

I've been holding off on getting an air in the hope of getting a retina display

Not for a while unfortunately. Air's big selling point is battery, which it wouldn't have if it needed to drive that delicious beast of a screen.

Next retina displays will be 27" thunderbolts or the iPad Mini 2 (maybe), whichever comes first. You'd be waiting a while for the Air to become retina is my guess unfortunately!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭The One Who Knocks

banquo wrote: »
    Not for a while unfortunately. Air's big selling point is battery, which it wouldn't have if it needed to drive that delicious beast of a screen.

Next retina displays will be 27" thunderbolts or the iPad Mini 2 (maybe), whichever comes first. You'd be waiting a while for the Air to become retina is my guess unfortunately!

Yeah sure the air was only updated in August, the battery is amazing,.. I'm getting nearly 14 hours on this with light usage. Haswell's brilliant!

Hoping for an ipad mini 2 with retina to be announced..although it probably won't be until october.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

Couple of hours to go...seems odd that Apple aren't streaming it. They've streamed the last few events.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭joe316

Anyone think the hype isnt as huge as it normally is?

Could be a good thing, in my opinion Apple does need to reverse its lack of progress and innovation (by the way, im in no doubt that they make the best quality products going, my house is stacked with apple products). Maybe being the underdog is best for apple, people saying that its not what it used to be, blah blah...

With the facilities, people and money that it has at its disposal I am really hoping over the next couple of years that it can really push the boundaries and just stick a S onto products every second year. I think the Mac Pro is a good example of this, that looks like some piece of kit, would love one....if I win the lotto.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

You're right, there's definitely less hype this year, for a few reasons:

1. No massively amazing leaks
    2. Everyone knows it's just an S.

However iOS 7 is the biggest redesign of iOS since iOS 1.0, so there should be some software hype more than hardware hype.

• Advertisement

joe316 wrote: »
    Anyone think the hype isnt as huge as it normally is?

Could be a good thing, in my opinion Apple does need to reverse its lack of progress and innovation (by the way, im in no doubt that they make the best quality products going, my house is stacked with apple products). Maybe being the underdog is best for apple, people saying that its not what it used to be, blah blah...

With the facilities, people and money that it has at its disposal I am really hoping over the next couple of years that it can really push the boundaries and just stick a S onto products every second year. I think the Mac Pro is a good example of this, that looks like some piece of kit, would love one....if I win the lotto.

It's true that there hasn't been that much hype, even the past few years it hasn't been that exciting personally, in fact, the last truly awesome apple event in my opinion was when they released the original iPhone back in 2007.

With the first iPhone they solved something that nothing else had ever properly solved - browsing the web on a phone. But since the dawn of mobile optimized websites, it's no longer as major an issue as it was...but i don't know whats next, to tell you the truth an iWatch doesn't really do it for me

new_maniac wrote: »
    It's true that there hasn't been that much hype, even the past few years it hasn't been that exciting personally, in fact, the last truly awesome apple event in my opinion was when they released the original iPhone back in 2007.

With the first iPhone they solved something that nothing else had ever properly solved - browsing the web on a phone. But since the dawn of mobile optimized websites, it's no longer as major an issue as it was...but i don't know whats next, to tell you the truth an iWatch doesn't really do it for me

I completely agree with the iWatch, think they look really gimicky, Google Glass on the other hand I think that has a lot of possibilities.

Think the last big unveil in my eyes was the iPad, ok we knew it was coming but no one really knew if they could make it work...lot of terrible tablets in the past.

I completely agree with the iWatch, think they look really gimicky, Google Glass on the other hand I think that has a lot of possibilities.

Think the last big unveil in my eyes was the iPad, ok we knew it was coming but no one really knew if they could make it work...lot of terrible tablets in the past.

I would like to get using Google Glass, if it works as well as they make it look, it would be great, I imagine it would be more like...

Me: "Okay Glass,"

Glass: "Sorry, Please repeat that"

Me: "Okay Gl (inturrupted by Glass)"

Glass: "How can I help"

new_maniac wrote: »
    I would like to get using Google Glass, if it works as well as they make it look, it would be great, I imagine it would be more like...

Me: "Okay Glass,"

Glass: "Sorry, Please repeat that"

Me: "Okay Gl (inturrupted by Glass)"

Glass: "How can I help"

Well if you didnt have such a culchie/dub (delete as appropriate) accent then it would help!! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,531 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Zcott wrote: »
    Couple of hours to go...seems odd that Apple aren't streaming it. They've streamed the last few events.

I've never seen a live stream from Apple , they always put a video up on website after the event.

Don't understand why it's not shown live though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

murpho999 wrote: »
    I've never seen a live stream from Apple , they always put a video up on website after the event.

Don't understand why it's not shown live though!

They stream for other events, mostly ones that are for Developers though. This isnt WWDC.

Well if you didnt have such a culchie/dub (delete as appropriate) accent then it would help!! :)

Lol, good point, though whatever's wrong with my managers accent, his siri hates him...every time he asks it something it give him a sarcastic remark back :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Zcott wrote: »
    You're right, there's definitely less hype this year, for a few reasons:

1. No massively amazing leaks
    2. Everyone knows it's just an S.

However iOS 7 is the biggest redesign of iOS since iOS 1.0, so there should be some software hype more than hardware hype.
    They've been pimping iOS7 since June, though. It's been all over Apple's site and you can watch endless videos of it in action, so talking about it some more isn't exactly hype-inducing. Most people will be like shut up and release it to iTunes already!

That and it being the "S" year means that many shallow Apple fans (myself included) don't really give a crap about an identical phone with some minor tweaks. That said, a really slick fingerprint sensor that works like it should (i.e. instantly and all the time) would be a nice touch. Would be nice to do away with passcodes.

The iPhone 5C is just an interesting sidenote.

Dades wrote: »
    They've been pimping iOS7 since June, though. It's been all over Apple's site and you can watch endless videos of it in action, so talking about it some more isn't exactly hype-inducing. Most people will be like shut up and release it to iTunes already!

That and it being the "S" year means that many shallow Apple fans (myself included) really don't really give a crap about an identical phone with some minor tweaks. That said, a really slick fingerprint sensor that works like it should (i.e. instantly and all the time) would be a nice touch. Would be nice to do away with passcodes.

The iPhone 5C is just an interesting sidenote.

I think the fingerprint thing is the only thing that looks kinda cool, i mean it will speed up the unlock process (instead of putting a pass code in), but it still seems a little gimicky...if it wasn't, they wouldn't have let it leak i don't think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Are they doing it live on Apple Events or not?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

mad muffin wrote: »
    Are they doing it live on Apple Events or not?

No. As said, it's a relatively minor event, so they probably don't see any reason to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

No. As said, it's a relatively minor event, so they probably don't see any reason to.

Didn't they do it for the iPhone 5?

They done a live event for the iPad mini in October anyway. I don't know why this doesn't deserve one. Maybe its down to where the event is held?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

mad muffin wrote: »
    Didn't they do it for the iPhone 5?

No.

How can a new version(s) of their best selling product be a relatively minor event?

From The Verge liveblog
    qU3LWx4.jpg?1

What are the Garda doing over there? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,848 ✭✭✭soundsham

Just turned on my apple tv
    meh !!
    Should have checked here 1st

murpho999 wrote: »
    How can a new version(s) of their best selling product be a relatively minor event?

Ask Apple. They think it's minor which why they are holding on campus. Big announcements are held in huge halls and they invite everyone. Maybe they are planning something bigger for the iPad/Mac event next month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭emo72

no live feed

• Advertisement

Ask Apple. They think it's minor which why they are holding on campus. Big announcements are held in huge halls and they invite everyone. Maybe they are planning something bigger for the iPad/Mac event next month.

Very strange though, as it's their flagship product at this stage!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement