Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garden Centres revamping themselves

• 03-09-2013 6:43pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭

I see that Plantagen in Malahide has closed down and is being renovated and extended with a new cafe.
    Will be back open in late October/early November,just in time for Christmas.

We were also out in Johnstown Garden Centre today buying plants and bulbs,and they too are doing a large renovation/extension work.
    Big extension by the looks of it.

Jones Garden Centre has recently undergone a huge renovation/extension process aswell.
    Food in their new cafe is absolutely beautifull indeed.:)

So any other garden centres going through large revamps/extensions at the moment???

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,675 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Given how many people go miles to garden centres in England to have lunch and wander round the often extensive gift ware shops, as well as the plants, I cannot understand why there are not a few more here. Maybe its a population thing but I would have thought there was room for a few.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

looksee wrote: »
    Given how many people go miles to garden centres in England to have lunch and wander round the often extensive gift ware shops, as well as the plants, I cannot understand why there are not a few more here. Maybe its a population thing but I would have thought there was room for a few.

Yep,alot of the garden centres here in Dublin and Lenister are going that way now...home shopping,gifts,cakes,,cafe and then gardening/plants/flowers and so on.

Orchard Garden Centre is also another 1 that went under a big renovation a while back.

Have to say that I like wandering around there too....our daughter loves the aquariam section and pet section there too.:)

Oh and The national Garden Exhibition Centre in Wicklow is a cracking place too.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭Gautama

Is this not a variation on the Borders Bookshop (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Borders_Group) business model? In the case of Borders, they sold books but had a cafe, where as well as being able to drink a coffee and eat some pie, you could browse or even read a book from the bookshop.
    I remember going into one in San Francisco and reading the prologue of the paperback version of a book that I'd read in hardback. The hardback I'd read for free (from the library). The paperback I could have bought for $8 but instead just read the new prologue for free. And in doing so, I'd spent €10 on coffee and pie.
    You don't sell the sausage, you sell the sizzle.

Gautama wrote: »
    Is this not a variation on the Borders Bookshop (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Borders_Group) business model? In the case of Borders, they sold books but had a cafe, where as well as being able to drink a coffee and eat some pie, you could browse or even read a book from the bookshop.
    I remember going into one in San Francisco and reading the prologue of the paperback version of a book that I'd read in hardback. The hardback I'd read for free (from the library). The paperback I could have bought for $8 but instead just read the new prologue for free. And in doing so, I'd spent €10 on coffee and pie.
    You don't sell the sausage, you sell the sizzle.

Sometimes I go to the places named above solely to buy plants,flowers and bulbs.

Other times I will take my lunch in these places aswell as buying my items.

I dont get reeled into spending out a fortune everytime I go to these places.

For instance,I was back in Johnstown Garden Centre today,buying some more bulbs and flowers....I didnt feel the need to spend out money on food in the cafe,or buy cakes or buy homewares or gifts.

All I wanted was my bulbs and plants,and then back out the door as fast as possible.

Simples.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭deandean

Plantagen in Malahide to me is a brutal example of Celtic Tiger.

I was eyeing up a pretty round patio table there about 2007, it was about 1m diameter with a hole in the middle for an umbrella, the top was broken-up tiles, "€1600" that was just for the table :eek: Put me right off gardenworks as it was then.

Anyways I bought a Wisteria there last year it still hasn't flowered.
    (joke)

Super coffee shop there, I just hope the rents being paid are reasonable so the tenants can make a decent living while charging fair prices.

• Advertisement

deandean wrote: »

I was eyeing up a pretty round patio table there about 2007, it was about 1m diameter with a hole in the middle for an umbrella, the top was broken-up tiles, "€1600" that was just for the table :eek: Put me right off gardenworks as it was then.

(joke)

Super coffee shop there, I just hope the rents being paid are reasonable so the tenants can make a decent living while charging fair prices.

The worst thing they did with Plantagen in Malahide was get rid of the old/existing cafe with the lovely homemade cakes,scones and soups,and let Insomnia in there.

Brutal when Insomnia moved into the cafe part.:(

Hopefully they learn from that and build a nice cafe,just like what Jones Garden Centre have recently done.:)

I hope Plantagen keep the thatch roof part of the building,as its a nice sight to see......but it needs to be re-tatched now,as its looking a tad weathered and past it.

deandean wrote: »

(joke)

If this is to be believed,then it seems to suggest that Plantagen in Malahide might actually be gone for good??

We were told in Avoca in Malahide Castle and by the lad in Kinsealy Pet Store that it was only closing down for major renovations and extension work.Also heard a rummor that the old owner,Bryan Maher is buying it back so that it will be Irish owned/Irish run again.

But the Independent story says nothing about that.

http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/th-punt-plantasjens-garden-centre-plans-fail-to-take-root-here-29540993.html

Link that has rummor of Bryan Maher buying back Plantagen Malahide to revamp it

http://www.hortitrends.com/landscape-news/15368-plantagen-to-close-doors-in-malahide

After reading the Independent link..........I wonder will Plantagen in Clonee (opposite Kilsaran) go/close down aswell then???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

Maybe. Although I asked about their compost in Malahide as there were no reductions on it (most stuff was 75% off). The chap said no, it was being moved to their other store to be sold. So that suggests it will keep going. Perhaps rates etc in posh Malahide are too great for Plantegen?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,843 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

paddy147 wrote: »
    If this is to be believed,then it seems to suggest that Plantagen in Malahide might actually be gone for good??
    i was talking to a staff member there a few weeks ago. they're changing ownership; all plantagen vouchers were usable in clonee.

• Advertisement

i was talking to a staff member there a few weeks ago. they're changing ownership; all plantagen vouchers were usable in clonee.

So hopefully Bryan Maher is buying it back then.
    Happy Days.:)

Had a nice chat with one of the horticulturalists in Plantagen Malahide this morning.

Bryan Maher has indeed bought the place back.
    He is revamping it and will be reopening it in 6 weeks time.

All the existing staff are being kept on too...which is great news.:)

Insomnia Coffee is gone....(thank god)......,and in its place wil be a new country kitchen style café with home made cakes,scones,soups and tea.

Renovation work has already started and the thatch roof is being rethatched at this very moment in time.

So its good news allround for Malahide,the existing shop staff and the wider gardening community.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Bryan Maher

Am a tech dinosaur but have become aware of the chat about the garden centre in Malahide - so here goes my first post!
    Am really pleased to confirm that the rumours are true. We have re acquired it. Refurbishment underway. Many of the old team reassembled. Cafe and food will be an integral part of the centre. Lots of ideas we want to try out so a very exciting time.
    Reopening towards end of October as "The Garden House"
    Bryan Maher

Am a tech dinosaur but have become aware of the chat about the garden centre in Malahide - so here goes my first post!
    Am really pleased to confirm that the rumours are true. We have re acquired it. Refurbishment underway. Many of the old team reassembled. Cafe and food will be an integral part of the centre. Lots of ideas we want to try out so a very exciting time.
    Reopening towards end of October as "The Garden House"
    Bryan Maher

Hello Bryan.....absolutely delighted that you have bought it back and it will be back open soon....(nice timing for Halloween and Christmas too).

Congratts again,and I will look forward to having a nice bowl of homemade soup and some fresh berry crumble in the new cafe.:)

Advertisement