Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Passport Application for child

Options
  • 03-09-2013 7:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭

Just curious if anyone of the forum has experience of applying for a passport for their child born in the US.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Is the child in the US now, or back in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭rockonollie

We're living in the US.....actually child is due in the next few weeks. He will be a US citizen by virtue of birth and a US citizen mother, but also entitled to an Irish passport as I am an Irish citizen born in Ireland.

Trying to get as much figured out as I can before our world gets turned upside down.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Ohh I am sorry I thought you meant for a US passport.
    No we never got around to that for our third (born in the US).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭ThunderCat

What you will need to do is apply via your nearest Irish embassy in the US and what will be required in addition to the correctly completed form, signed photos and fee will be your childs birthcert and either your own long form birthcert or irish passport, and marriage cert if applicable. On section 3 of the form you tick on your childs behalf the box that says "born abroad to a parent born in ireland".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭ThunderCat

What you will need to do is apply via your nearest Irish embassy in the US and what will be required in addition to the correctly completed form, signed photos and fee will be your childs birthcert and either your own long form birthcert or irish passport, and marriage cert if applicable. On section 3 of the form you tick on your childs behalf the box that says "born abroad to a parent born in ireland".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

The official Citizens Information site is a good place to start. They have links to the Department of Foreign Affairs to help you register a child's birth and apply for a passport.

I'm not sure if its necessary to register your child. They state:
    Once the process is completed, the applicant will be provided with a certificate confirming his or her entry in the Irish Register of Foreign Births. This certificate can be used as proof of Irish citizenship when applying for an Irish passport.

You might be able to just apply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭clairefontaine

Get the forms from the embassy.

You will need your birth cert, the child's birth cert, your marriage certificate, and a signature from a priest, cop or accountant.

Then mail it.

And congratulations!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭rockonollie

I called the consulate yesterday......they have no voicemail or operater, so luckily I was patient enough to let it ring a few dozen times before someone finally answered.

Foreign births register is not neccessary, that's for the next generation, you only need the foreign births registration if the parent is an irish citizen NOT born in ireland.....so my son will need to go through that process to maintain the line of citizenship.

For our case, we just have to mail in an application with birth certs etc....though it's over a 6 month wait right now.

Thanks for the answers!

Advertisement