Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda Adult Caution - Wrong dates

• 03-09-2013 7:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51 ✭✭

Hi I was recently arrested for public order offence. I was sent out a letter telling me i am getting an adult caution. Incident occurred on 25/08/13.
    Date on top of letter is 27/06/13 it has a stamp with date 27/08/13 and states the incident took place on 25/05/13. Could any one advise if these clerical errors could get me off with my adult caution?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 66 ✭✭boarsboard

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

Hi I was recently arrested for public order offence. I was sent out a letter telling me i am getting an adult caution. Incident occurred on 25/08/13.
    Date on top of letter is 27/06/13 it has a stamp with date 27/08/13 and states the incident took place on 25/05/13. Could any one advise if these clerical errors could get me off with my adult caution?

It's a clerical error. If you go back to the Gardaí and inform them all they will do is issue a corrected letter OR maybe get pXXxED off with you and decide to charge you instead.
    Get away while the going is good!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭Cody Pomeray

This is is a general statement on typos and such like.

The large amount of publicity surrounding Garda difficulty in keeping dates (Judge Curtin) or getting addresses right (see my location) has led to serious confusion about the invalidating power of typos.

So let it be clear. Misdescriptions, omissions and typos which are not substantive (error does not undermine jurisdiction nor fail to meet statutory requirements) should not be invalid.

Having the wrong date on your speeding ticket or caution is not comparable to having the wrong dates on a warrant to search your dwelling.

It isn't enough that there be an error. You have to show the error is capable of causing some real injustice.

Advertisement