Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Capel Street Traffic

Options
  • 03-09-2013 7:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭

I live near Capel Street and am often nearly knocked down by a motorist or pressurised to hurry across the road when walking across the road at the point where Capel Street joins Parnell Street. There really should be traffic lights or at least a zebra crossing there. The cars ain't going to get far anyway with traffic always being bad along the street so why the impatience from car drivers.

I am young and fairly fit but still find it a lottery getting across there. I pity any older people. Traffic lights would make it a hell of a lot safer there for shoppers on foot and all the people who live in the general area and it would be at no loss to traffic flow. The cars are going to get stuck less than 50 meters down the road anyway.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

The whole Capel St / Parnell St / Ryder's Row area is a disaster for every mode. The lane markings for cars can be confusing. The counterflow cycle path literally has the cycle symbols painted the wrong way. Pedestrians have to negotiate unusual traffic movements like the fact that most traffic from Parnell turns left onto Capel St, so the right turn onto Capel is unnecessarily wide. Not to mention the mess with the speedbump, contraflow cyclepath, and right turn onto Loftus Lane. Needs some serious seeing-to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭SweetPotatoes

Aard wrote: »
    The whole Capel St / Parnell St / Ryder's Row area is a disaster for every mode. The lane markings for cars can be confusing. The counterflow cycle path literally has the cycle symbols painted the wrong way. Pedestrians have to negotiate unusual traffic movements like the fact that most traffic from Parnell turns left onto Capel St, so the right turn onto Capel is unnecessarily wide. Not to mention the mess with the speedbump, contraflow cyclepath, and right turn onto Loftus Lane. Needs some serious seeing-to.

And on top of that the mayhem of cars coming from Parnell Street, turning left onto Capel Street and a straight away right onto Little Britain Street where the Capel Court Apartments are. I see it every day. It is only a matter of time someone gets knocked down there. Absolutely no system with a bully your way through mentality prevalent especially from some taxi drivers, van drivers and trucks/articulated lorries. Absolutely crazy. I witnessed an old woman with a shopping trolley almost get steam rolled over on when crossing over from Capel Street towards Parnell street. The van driver just belted the horn and kept driving around the bend at full speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭MemEmee

It might be a good idea to contact some (or all) of these councillors and see can they get pedestrian lights erected at the junction.

Central Area Councillors
    http://www.dublincity.ie/YourCouncil/Councillors/YourLocalCouncillors/centralcouncillors/Pages/default.aspx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Capelstreet5

And on top of that the mayhem of cars coming from Parnell Street, turning left onto Capel Street and a straight away right onto Little Britain Street where the Capel Court Apartments are. I see it every day. It is only a matter of time someone gets knocked down there. Absolutely no system with a bully your way through mentality prevalent especially from some taxi drivers, van drivers and trucks/articulated lorries. Absolutely crazy. I witnessed an old woman with a shopping trolley almost get steam rolled over on when crossing over from Capel Street towards Parnell street. The van driver just belted the horn and kept driving around the bend at full speed.

I am only too aware of that dodgy crossing. Nightmare for car drivers too especially when articulated lorries are coming out from Smithfield market and there is an impatient taxi driver on your tail.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

MemEmee wrote: »
    It might be a good idea to contact some (or all) of these councillors and see can they get pedestrian lights erected at the junction.

Central Area Councillors
    http://www.dublincity.ie/YourCouncil/Councillors/YourLocalCouncillors/centralcouncillors/Pages/default.aspx

I think a zebra crossing would be far more appropriate than pedestrian lights in this instance.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Capelstreet5

I think a zebra crossing would be far more appropriate than pedestrian lights in this instance.

Traffic lights would be better. Cars drivers need to be safe guarded from each other also. The lights could be synchronised with pedestrian lights also.

Advertisement