Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Error Message on start-up, cannot use computer

Options
  • 03-09-2013 8:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭

Hi,

My parents are having a problem with their computer when turning it on, in that they get the following message:
    Windows could not start because the following file ismissing or corrupt:
    \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM

You can attempt to repair this file by starting Windows Setup using the original Setup CD-ROM.
    Select 'r' at the first screen to start repair.

Anybody any ideas how to solve this?

It seems they do not have the original CD that would have come with the PC when they got it over 7 years ago.

Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

You may be able to find someone with an installation CD for the OS and get the file. In the meantime I would create a bootable USB or CD with something lightweight like Puppy linux. Boot from the USB or CD and copy any data they may wish to keep as the hard drive may be failing which could be the cause of the missing/corrupt file message.

YUMI from pendrivelinux is very good for creating bootable USB sticks using Windows.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭johndoe99

have they the option of entering "Safe Mode with Command Prompt"

if they do type:

sfc /scannow

(theres a space between sfc and the /)

If System File Checker discovers that a protected file has been corrupted, it replaces the file with a new copy of the file from the cache folder.

Depending on your OS, some files, if critical you may be prompted for the CD. Give it a go.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

It would be no harm checking your hard disk for issues either. These errors sometimes point to a failed/failing hard drive

Nick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

The system file checker (SFC) doesn't work, since the system will not boot, not even in Safe Mode (besides, it would not solve the issue at hand). Copying "the file" from the installation CD (it's actually more then one file) with puppy/pendrive linux doesn't help either (unless you don't mind killing the user profile).

The proper procedure involves the Windows Recovery Console from a bootable CD.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

Torqay wrote: »
    The system file checker (SFC) doesn't work, since the system will not boot, not even in Safe Mode (besides, it would not solve the issue at hand). Copying "the file" from the installation CD (it's actually more then one file) with puppy/pendrive linux doesn't help either (unless you don't mind killing the user profile).

The proper procedure involves the Windows Recovery Console from a bootable CD.

The suggestion of the USB boot was to copy data in case the hard drive was failing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭PLUG71

My desktop is showing the same message and having the installation disc works until you restart only to get the same message again.?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

PLUG71 wrote: »
    My desktop is showing the same message and having the installation disc works until you restart only to get the same message again.?

I'd definitely check the hard disk, sounds like it's gone kaput unfortunately

Nick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭Sundance_Kid

So I got an IT lad in work to burn Windows Xp onto a CD for me.

I hit F12 and I get options

Boot Device Menu

ST3250824AS
    Onboard or USB CD-ROM Drive
    ISB Device

System setup
    Hard Drive Diagnostics
    Boot to Utility Partition

I selected Onboard or USB CD-Rom Drive with the CD in the drive.

It started to load ok and add files etc it seems.

Then I got the blue screen...

A problem has been detected and windows......

Error 0x0000007B

Any more ideas ?

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bmm

You could try rebooting from the cd and re-installing XP completely. Other files will remain on the PC.

bmm wrote: »
    You could try rebooting from the cd and re-installing XP completely. Other files will remain on the PC.

Sorry how do I do that?

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭johndoe99

try the Hard Drive diagnostics in the boot menu you brought up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Sorry how do I do that?

Thanks

I wouldnt do that straight away, as you are risking any important files being overwritten and lost. If you have nothing important on the computer, boot from the CD on the F12 menu and delete the existing Windows partition and do a fresh installation. If you have stuff on the computer you wish to keep, I'd suggest creating a Live Linux CD and boot to that (Puppy Linux as someone suggested is a good one). It'll allow you to boot to an operating system to copy the important files to a USB drive or something. Sounds like your hard disk may be failing fast.

Error 0x0000007B

7B is usually a SATA controller, which XP does not support natively. Either slipstream the driver into the disk or load it via F6 when prompted during setup.

But again, you don't want an installation CD, you'll need a bootable Windows XP recovery console to fix the corrupted registry.

johndoe99 wrote: »
    try the Hard Drive diagnostics in the boot menu you brought up.

Hi I ran the Hard Drive Diagnostics and got the following

Drive 0: ST3250824AS
    Drive 1: TSSTcorp DVD+/-RW TS-H553A - Diagnostics not supported
    Drive 2: No device
    Drive 3: No device
    Drive 4: No device
    Drive 5: No device

Test Complete

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭hearny

It could also be SATA driver issue as previously suggested, but it could also be an issue with the hard drive.

Do you have an external hard drive.

I would suggest ask the IT guy to burn you a copy of a linux LiveCD like Ubuntu or knoppix.

Boot from the CD and transfer your important files to the external drive.

To attempt to repair your PC I would ask the IT guy does he have a copy of Ultimate Boot CD 4 Windows:
    http://www.ubcd4win.com/

You can boot from it and run a chkdsk on the drive.

hearny wrote: »
    It could also be SATA driver issue as previously suggested, but it could also be an issue with the hard drive.

I would suggest ask the IT guy to burn you a copy of a linux LiveCD like Ubuntu or knoppix.

To attempt to repair your PC I would ask the IT guy does he have a copy of Ultimate Boot CD 4 Windows:

Thanks for your reply.

I am heading away in the morning for a week, so I will try the above when I get back from holidays and report back.

hearny wrote: »

Hi there,

I downloaded the following Lucid Puppy (Ubuntu-Compatible Build) and burned it to a disc.

http://puppylinux.org/main/Download%20Latest%20Release.htm#lucidpuppy

Any idea if this will help me save any files I need off the computer to an external hard-drive, or have I downloaded the wrong thing?

Thanks

Hi there,

I downloaded the following Lucid Puppy (Ubuntu-Compatible Build) and burned it to a disc.

http://puppylinux.org/main/Download%20Latest%20Release.htm#lucidpuppy

Any idea if this will help me save any files I need off the computer to an external hard-drive, or have I downloaded the wrong thing?

I don't think Puppy can read NTFS (Windows) drives "out of the box". Knoppix is widely regarded as one of the best Linux "rescue" Live CDs.

Torqay wrote: »
    I don't think Puppy can read NTFS (Windows) drives "out of the box". Knoppix is widely regarded as one of the best Linux "rescue" Live CDs.
    Ok thanks, will try download Knoppix and see how I get on :)

Just had a look at your OP again. Can't be that hard to find a Windows XP recovery console... ;)

Fixing a corrupted registry is not arcane science.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Bog Standard User

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/324103

this will explain what that error code means

Advertisement