Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Work Desktop Win 2000 on a Network

Options
  • 03-09-2013 8:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭

This is only used for scanning and sharing files between network drives unfortunately the scanner, cant be made work with a newer OS.

This is slow and can freeze occasionally and there is probably a lot of junk on it over the years. Is it worth requesting a clean up be done on it.

I dont have permission but was able to run discleanup but thats about it.

Would a reg cleaner, cleaner, virus scans etc help at all or should it just be put to sleep:D

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

danjo-xx wrote: »
    This is only used for scanning and sharing files between network drives unfortunately the scanner, cant be made work with a newer OS.

This is slow and can freeze occasionally and there is probably a lot of junk on it over the years. Is it worth requesting a clean up be done on it.

I dont have permission but was able to run discleanup but thats about it.

Would a reg cleaner, cleaner, virus scans etc help at all or should it just be put to sleep:D

Do you now own the machine or is it still works property? windows 2k is long unsupported so it's not really worth going to much trouble with it when the OS should be changed. A lightweight linux distro like Lubuntu could be a decent option for you, and may also be compatible with the scanner :) (SANE). Thats if the system is yours now of course, if not, request a new one :) is my advice

Nick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

I dont have permission

Then let (s)he who has permission deal with it. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭invaderzimirl

have you tried using compatibility mode?
    its one of the frw things M$ have done right

• Registered Users Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭davo2001

have you tried using compatibility mode?
    its one of the frw things M$ have done right

There is none on Windows 2000!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

davo2001 wrote: »

I think he meant use CM on a modern OS to pretend its W2K to the driver for the scanner?

• Advertisement

davo2001 wrote: »

There sure is, Compatibility Mode for Windows NT 4.0 and Windows 98. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

Do you now own the machine or is it still works property?

no thank god its not mine, but I'm the one that has to use the damn thing:D

Then let (s)he who has permission deal with it.

That is what I intend to do, but before asking one of our IT guys I was hoping that there was something I could suggest that might get them to think, oh yeah that might be worth a go otherwise I might not get them out.
    have you tried using compatibility mode

Never heard of it, where would I find that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Compatibility mode is a feature on newer operating systems to enable to you install old software - it makes the drivers think that they are running on an older operating system. Very useful for running games etc, and would also be worth mentioning to your IT people - they might even give you a decent PC to work on ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    Compatibility mode is a feature on newer operating systems to enable to you install old software - it makes the drivers think that they are running on an older operating system. Very useful for running games etc, and would also be worth mentioning to your IT people - they might even give you a decent PC to work on ;)

thats no problem they were trying to hook one up last year but for whatever reason couldn't get the Minolta ps7000 scanner to work with it.

I'll request a clean up anyway and give a gentle hint about compatibility mode, dont want to be seen as if I'm telling these guys their job:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Maybe it might work in a Win2K virtual machine, if they still have install disk.

thats no problem they were trying to hook one up last year but for whatever reason couldn't get the Minolta ps7000 scanner to work with it.

Maybe they should download the latest driver, which, according to the read me file, supports the following operating systems:

Windows95/98/NT4.0/Me/2000/XP

Advertisement