Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dads apple tv version 2 is black

• 03-09-2013 8:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭

He gave it to me to look at.Its like looking up a ducks arse.
    It wont show up on my computer, and it wont show up on the tv.
    There is a light.
    I can try that DFU thing buy pressing the buttons but its still black.
    Any suggestions? Thanks,Cathy

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

cathy01 wrote: »
    He gave it to me to look at.Its like looking up a ducks arse.
    It wont show up on my computer, and it wont show up on the tv.
    There is a light.
    I can try that DFU thing buy pressing the buttons but its still black.
    Any suggestions? Thanks,Cathy

It only shows up on the computer when connected by USB cable only and in the iTunes sidebar.

From there, you can restore it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cathy01

culabula wrote: »
    It only shows up on the computer when connected by USB cable only and in the iTunes sidebar.

From there, you can restore it.

I have a feeling its the micro USB that I'm using.its a bit bonky.
    Ill give it another go but it wasn't showing up.my poor dad.since retring its all he has.no he HAS to sit and listen to my mams day.:-)
    Ill give it another go thanks for te reply.i honestly appreciate you taking the time.xx

I have a feeling its the micro USB that I'm using.its a bit bonky.
    Ill give it another go but it wasn't showing up.my poor dad.since retring its all he has.no he HAS to sit and listen to my mams day.:-)
    Ill give it another go thanks for te reply.i honestly appreciate you taking the time.xx

Well, remember, the USB cable does not impact on its connectivity to the TV -so perhaps the HDMI cable is faulty?

When connecting to the computer, do not plug into the mains. USB cable only.

culabula wrote: »
    Well, remember, the USB cable does not impact on its connectivity to the TV -so perhaps the HDMI cable is faulty?

When connecting to the computer, do not plug into the mains. USB cable only.

so no power supply going into it?
    I did it, still nothing.Its not the HDMI.
    It is flashing when I press the remote so something/Advice is so badly needed.He is nearly bald at this stage .DIVORCE .Thanks all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Something to do with the TV or HDMI cable. Try another TV. Don't plug it into your PC. You'll gain nothing if you don't know what you are doing.

• Advertisement

no sure its not working on my dads, or my brothers.
    That's why they gave it to me.To try ,
    My heart is in it, my mind just isn't able.
    Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

I doubt this will help, but have you tried changing the resolution?

Hold the Menu and Up button for around 6 seconds.

Had something similar happen, and this sorted it. Hope it helps.

Ok,Im now nearly as bald as him.Does anyone know anyone who is genuine that can fix this.
    It was Jailbroken,it has a silver remote control. It will be thrown against a wall very soon.
    Thanks,cathy:(

Has it ever worked after being jailbroken?

RossieMan wrote: »
    Has it ever worked after being jailbroken?

Yep,it was working fine, then just went black.Nothing .
    When I connect to the computer nothing.Power in ,nothing
    power out nothing.
    Holy mother of sweet divine. Whoever made these things should work for NASA or something.
    Again Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

PM sent. Thx

If you can't see it on the computer, or a tv, i'm out of idea's.

Yep,it was working fine, then just went black.Nothing .
    When I connect to the computer nothing.Power in ,nothing
    power out nothing.
    Holy mother of sweet divine. Whoever made these things should work for NASA or something.
    Again Thanks

When connected to a PC, it should never be connected to the mains, only by USB.

It then appears in the sidebar in iTunes *only*.

Really, Apple TV is one of the simplest things to use (and most reliable) but I guess the moral of the story is, never jailbreak.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,482 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

Happened to mine a couple of times...sounds like a Jailbreak after OS upgrade gone wrong.

Best try a Jailbreak again...google it and many hits come up for SeasonPass...

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭jarvis

Is it a tethered jailbreak? If it was on the most recent software then it was a tethered jailbreakwhich means once the power to it is killed then it needs to be booted up from a computer using the jailbreak software which I'm not sure I'm allowed link to.
    Do some research on he jailbreak sites.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭JDxtra

If somebody managed to jailbreak it for him then they should be able to fix this.

With respect it does not sound like you are the person to fix it as you are getting frustrated with it.

As mentioned before they are generally very simple and reliable. The jailbreak and a subsequent failed update may have messed it up.

JDxtra wrote: »
    If somebody managed to jailbreak it for him then they should be able to fix this.

With respect it does not sound like you are the person to fix it as you are getting frustrated with it.

As mentioned before they are generally very simple and reliable. The jailbreak and a subsequent failed update may have messed it up.

Truer words have never been spoken.
    Thanks,

Advertisement