Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

will my dole increase

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Vologda69

Afraid not. The rate will not increase until you reach 25. The only difference being that your parents' income is not taken into account for the means test.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 whoopi silverberg

how is a man meant to live off that when having to pay for rent aswell? recession sucks :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Bubbah87

Why would you get more dole simply because you decide you don't want to live with mammy and daddy any more?

You're getting a 144 a week, completely for free, just like that and you complain it's not enough?

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Afroshack

how is a man meant to live off that when having to pay for rent aswell? recession sucks :([/QUOT

Did you not research this before agreeing to move out? If you've already paid the deposit you're probably better off bailing on your lease now before it costs you money you don't have.

Afroshack wrote: »
    how is a man meant to live off that when having to pay for rent aswell? recession sucks :([/QUOT

Did you not research this before agreeing to move out? If you've already paid the deposit you're probably better off bailing on your lease now before it costs you money you don't have.

i think i have to agree, 144 wont cover share of the rent, heating electric and food, absolute torture trying to find work :( as for the other comment, do you think im happy to get money for free? no i am not but we dont all have the luxury of a job in this economic hardship

• Advertisement

Afroshack wrote: »

as for the other comment, do you think im happy to get money for free? no i am not but we dont all have the luxury of a job in this economic hardship

I'd hope not, but even so, if you're not too uncomfortable living with your parents you're doing a lot better than other people out there, that don't have the option of living with their parents, might have a family to look after, mortgage to service etc. etc. etc.

Believe me, there are many people with jobs out there that would be delighted to have 144 euro a week after tax left after having paid all their bills.

I know I sure as **** don't have that left at the end of the month and I have a good job.

So whatever problems you think you have they're not that bad in the grand scheme of things. Try to make the best of it, learn some skills, languages, whatever.

Help your parents out around the house.

Not trying to make fun of your situation cause I'm sure you'd prefer to be working but with a 144 euro on your pocket every week and no commitments your life really needn't be that bad *

*that's assuming your parents are half decent, you're not supporting 18 illegitimate kids etc. etc. etc.

Bubbah87 wrote: »

I'd hope not, but even so, if you're not too uncomfortable living with your parents you're doing a lot better than other people out there, that don't have the option of living with their parents, might have a family to look after, mortgage to service etc. etc. etc.

living at home is no longer viable for viable reasons and i do have a legitimate child to support. multiple certs and a degree but not a sniff of work and leaving the country aint an option as id have to be too far away from my littler boy.

but i get what you mean i am thankful for what i have got, i just hear of people getting 188 and that, but theres kids dying of starvation worldwide and our generous (but silly) government dont let that happen here

living at home is no longer viable for viable reasons and i do have a legitimate child to support. multiple certs and a degree but not a sniff of work and leaving the country aint an option as id have to be too far away from my littler boy.

but then, and I'm by no means an expert (maybe someone else will come along) you may well be entitled to things other than the 144 a week.

Might be worth chatting to the community SW officer?

Bubbah87 wrote: »
    but then, and I'm by no means an expert (maybe someone else will come along) you may well be entitled to things other than the 144 a week.

Might be worth chatting to the community SW officer?

i have just been made aware of an interesting course in the local area starting in three weeks time that will provide me with 188 a week aswell as some rental assistance, thank you very much for all your replies :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭bigneacy

i have just been made aware of an interesting course in the local area starting in three weeks time that will provide me with 188 a week aswell as some rental assistance, thank you very much for all your replies :)

If you have a child to support, you'd be entitled to lone parent, plus a single child rate, which should work out to 218.60 iirc? Regardless of age.

Plus a place on the housing list and rent supplement after six months in private rented. That'll allow you to work up to 18 hours a week to top up your income also without losing your benefits. 18 hours a week will be easy to come by working in a chippy or as a waitress. I know it ain't a glamorous job but it'll make ends meet better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭chainsawman

Ignore my Post... Sorry People.

Advertisement