Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post-op advice/tips

Options
  • 03-09-2013 10:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

Well my TTC journey is moving into the medical stage at the moment! Had my appointment in the HARI last week. Going for a laparoscopy, hysteroscopy and D&C in a few weeks time. I’ve only ever been in hospital as a child and that was only A&E visits. Never had an operation or been under anaesthetic, so I’m getting a bit nervous about that aspect.
    Thought I might start a thread to look for tips from girls who have been through this. Are there things you wish someone had told you beforehand, things that eased the pain, helped you through the initial post-op days etc etc??
    Any tips will be greatly appreciated and used as a bible! ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37 ashl

Hi Roustabout,

I've had three laparoscopies and they re absolutely fine. The first one was the most painful but only because I had a big dirty cyst that had to be removed the other two ops were much bigger but less painful! I have stage 4 endometriosis which had to be cleared too but the pain afterwards was minimal. I was warned about the gas they pump in to you during the op as this causes the most pain after as it rises up to your shoulder blades trying to escape. Bring a hot water bottle with you so you can put it on your shoulder in the hospital or in the car on the way home. If you have a long journey home bring a pillow to prop up your shoulder or to keep between you and the seat belt so there is little pain. Bring very loose fitting pj bottoms to wear home as you will be bloated and tender. Take it rasy for a couple of days after. Move around as much as you can after that as it really does help recovery and helps with the shoulder pain too. You will be absolutely fine. I would not flinch if I was told I had to go for another one as each time I felt fine within a few days. You may need to take the week off work after the op though depending on what you do. Any kind of lifting is a no no!!

Any other questions please feel free to ask!!

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Roustabout

Thanks Ashl. You sound like you really are an old hand at the old laps! Not something I'm sure you ever aspired to be ;)
    Yeah I'll have 5 days off afterwards so hopefully that'll be enough. My job doesn't involve lifting so one less thing to worry about.
    Does the gas displacement only involve one shoulder at a time or are/can both be affected? Just wondering how many hot water bottles I might need. Trying to get organised and have everything I might possibly need ready and waiting if required!
    Thanks again

Hi Roustabout

Yeah if yoi told me two years ago that id have to havd 3 laps i would have ran a mile but its amazing what we do to try and get that elusive BFP!!

The gas pain kind of gathers in 1 spot across the shoulderblades - at least it did with me anyway so the one hot water bottle should do. Oh and take any pain killers they give you - even if its just Panadol! The first lap I had the pain was on the top left shoulder, second lap was top right and last lap was very minimal on top right too. You will be given pain killers afterwards which will help with any pain anyway so the hot water bottle is an extra comfort - like with period pain. 5 days after will be plenty to recover and to be shown loads of TLC from your OH!

Hubby can't get time off work so I'll be on my own during the days. Kind of why I need to be super-organised beforehand so I can anticipate what I might need (hence this thread!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭orchidsrpretty

Ive had 3 laps, and they are nothing to be worried about. It is a bit scary when you are going into the theatre. Very clinical (ofc) and lots of people milling around etc. You are not hanging around long though, once your on the table you are asleep in about 2-3 minutes.

Ive never experienced the shoulder pains so you might be lucky! Best of luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭orchidsrpretty

Ive had 3 laps, and they are nothing to be worried about. It is a bit scary when you are going into the theatre. Very clinical (ofc) and lots of people milling around etc. You are not hanging around long though, once your on the table you are asleep in about 2-3 minutes.

Ive never experienced the shoulder pains so you might be lucky! Best of luck.

My Hubbie wasn't off after mine either so I made a big batch of curry and froze then in individual size takeaway cartons so I did not have to cook for the week!! All I wanted was tea and toast for a few days after it though!!

Do you have to take Movicol or do a low residual diet before the op?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

I'm just starting on my road for diagnosing suspected endo, dreading the thoughts of surgery! Like you OP, I've never been put under, still the proud owner of both tonsils and appendix, and since I saw the condition my sister was in after her lap, it terrifies me! I'll be insisting that all of my relatives are there to say goodbye to me :p

Amazing indeed what we are willing to go through to bring life into the world :o

Gosh I don't think I have to do anything before the op, just turn up on the day and take it from there. Not unless they write to me or phone beforehand to tell me something for the pre-op?? Again my obvious inexperience around the whole anaesthetic, operation stuff!
    Either way, I will just do everything I'm told and endure whatever I have to and hope that it's all worth it in the end.....

Hi Roustabout,

You may not have to. I didn't have to do anything special bwfore my first lap but I did with the next two. They will tell you in good time if you need to do anything so don't worry about that. Best of luck with it and you'll be absolutely fine!

Roustabout wrote: »
    Gosh I don't think I have to do anything before the op, just turn up on the day and take it from there. Not unless they write to me or phone beforehand to tell me something for the pre-op?? Again my obvious inexperience around the whole anaesthetic, operation stuff!
    Either way, I will just do everything I'm told and endure whatever I have to and hope that it's all worth it in the end.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

Get peppermint tea or capsules. Or even polo mints. It'll help with the bloating ;)

Advertisement