Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Single Zone Alarm - Shed

Options
  • 04-09-2013 9:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭

Hi,

I've done a few searches here (and elsewhere) but can't seem to get any good ideas on how to alarm my new shed.

It's a brick and mortar build with a door and window, so ideally I need a basic (but loud) alarm with sensors for door and window and a motion detector.

I would prefer a wired with battery backup, but I guess wireless could be ok if I can be convinced I won't be changing batteries every month.

Any suggestions would be welcome on what to go for.

Cheers.

(PS - if I haven't given enough detail please let me know)

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

I'm presuming you have power in the shed and this is a standalone system.

Either of these would give you options to use both wired and wireless devices.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,717 ✭✭✭✭altor

scorn wrote: »
    Hi,

I've done a few searches here (and elsewhere) but can't seem to get any good ideas on how to alarm my new shed.

It's a brick and mortar build with a door and window, so ideally I need a basic (but loud) alarm with sensors for door and window and a motion detector.

I would prefer a wired with battery backup, but I guess wireless could be ok if I can be convinced I won't be changing batteries every month.

Any suggestions would be welcome on what to go for.

Cheers.

(PS - if I haven't given enough detail please let me know)

Have you got an alarm system in your home already?
    In most wire free systems batteries last 3 years plus.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭scorn

Thanks for the replies.

The shed is wired - and I was assuming it would have to be a standalone system.

Saying that, though, from looking at the images for the HKC systems it appears that the alarm in our home is also HKC.

Would it be possible for a wireless component from HKC to link into the home alarm? I'm presuming that's why altor asked the question... That would be handy.

Thanks for the replies.

The shed is wired - and I was assuming it would have to be a standalone system.

Saying that, though, from looking at the images for the HKC systems it appears that the alarm in our home is also HKC.

Would it be possible for a wireless component from HKC to link into the home alarm? I'm presuming that's why altor asked the question... That would be handy.

When you say the shed is wired, is the cables going back to the HKC system you have installed in the house?
    If not and you have free zones in the control panel you could easily add a quick bridge to the system and use wire free devices in the shed.

altor wrote: »
    When you say the shed is wired, is the cables going back to the HKC system you have installed in the house?
    If not and you have free zones in the control panel you could easily add a quick bridge to the system and use wire free devices in the shed.

Sorry - no, I may have misunderstood what was meant by 'wired' earlier. The shed has an electricity supply - but nothing in the way of alarm hookup.

Can you give me a pointer about the bridge that you refer to? I'm sure there are free zones in the cp (haven't looked though, and might need a user manual first).

Thanks again.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

How many devices would you need in your shed?
    Something like this http://www.visonic.com/Products/Wireless-Property-Protection/Receiver-mcr-304
    may be ideal.

Sorry - no, I may have misunderstood what was meant by 'wired' earlier. The shed has an electricity supply - but nothing in the way of alarm hookup.

Can you give me a pointer about the bridge that you refer to? I'm sure there are free zones in the cp (haven't looked though, and might need a user manual first).

Thanks again.

You will be looking at wire free so. The quick bridge are easy enough to set up also. If you dont have any free zones then you could either join two zones together or add an expander to the system.

Thanks for all the help - very useful. I'll post back here if I manage this or have any further questions.

Thanks for all the help - very useful. I'll post back here if I manage this or have any further questions.

Your welcome, if you have any problems you know where we are :)

Advertisement