Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Will Roy Keane manage again?

• 04-09-2013 11:43am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭

I remember thinking when Keane got the boot from Ipswich in January 2011, it won't be long till he gets another big job in football management. How wrong was I. I know he done a pretty poor job at Ipswich, but still I expected him to bounce back. He seems to be settling in as an Itv pundit and enjoying it, but is that it for Irelands greatest player? Never to manage again? A great shame!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

He is better off staying a pundit.

Not made out for management.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Doesn't seem to be his thing really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Ed Winchester

He's too mental for management. The more experienced he got at it, the worse he got at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Personality's not there for management I don't think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,877 ✭✭✭RayCon

lala88 wrote: »
    He seems to be settling in as an Itv pundit and enjoying it,

You think ? ... I think Keane never looks like he's enjoying anything.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

Fergie, Wenger, Ancelloti and a few more have mentioned how today's players are a delicate bunch. They're a different breed to years ago and management styles have had to change.
    I think Keane is a bit too old school for it and always will be.

In saying that I could see him managing in the future. Probably not Premiership.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭StephenHendry

keano will get offers i'd say but he has had to many disasters imo, sunderland, ipswich i.e. he has shown that when the going gets rough he will not stick around long. he's another example i.e. bryan robson that great players don't necessarily make great managers

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

keano will get offers i'd say but he has had to many disasters imo, sunderland, ipswich i.e. he has shown that when the going gets rough he will not stick around long. he's another example i.e. bryan robson that great players don't necessarily make great managers

Id say his time at Sunderland was fairly successful although at Ipswich he spent a fortune (for a Champ club) and failed miserably

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Hopefully...it's good for a laugh if nothing else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

He really wasn't a disaster at Sunderland. We were heading for League 1 and he turned things around completely and then kept us in the top division the following season. Sure, he blew a lot of money in the Premier League, but he can only spend what is given and everyone in charge of the finances at that time including the owners were naive. The reason he left in the end was because a new owner (Ellis Short) came in and wanted Keane to move closer to the training ground which he thought was undermining him and he packed it in. We all know what he is like regarding things like that.

I agree with your point on great players not necessarily being great managers and I think it's harder for them as they expect players to be able to do things that came easy to them and get frustrated when they can't. It came to a head for Keane when he slapped Dean Whitehead in the dressing room because of this.

But I would never class him as a failure at Sunderland. The club he walked into was a complete shambles and completely different to the one he left, both on and off the field, mostly thanks to him.

• Advertisement

I remember thinking when Keane got the boot from Ipswich in January 2011, it won't be long till he gets another big job in football management. How wrong was I. I know he done a pretty poor job at Ipswich, but still I expected him to bounce back. He seems to be settling in as an Itv pundit and enjoying it, but is that it for Irelands greatest player? Never to manage again? A great shame!!

I don't know if he's enjoying it. Here's his face after yet another Chiles "joke" :pac:

A5WaM_GCEAIS4FT.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Keane was a surprisingly bad manager and is a surprisingly bad pundit too. I kinda just wish he'd go away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

I always said that I felt Keane lacked empathy as a manager, especially with players that were just not up to the standard that he was. Throughout his career he always expected the best from himself and held himself to very high standards, be it at training or in a match. I honestly believe he struggles to accept that some of his players just won't do that. As a result he chooses teams and tactics that just don't suit the level of talent he has at his disposal.

If you look at most of the successful managers a lot of them are good man-managers and very few were actually top players (e.g. Mourinho, Wenger, Ferguson to some extent). The exceptions to that rule are usually very good tactical managers (e.g. Guardiola). I think the key to being a good manager is the ability to recognise your players' highest level, working to get them playing at that level, and choosing the team and tactics to get the most from that group of players.

I don't think Keane can do that. He's more suited to punditry, he has plenty of opinions and doesn't mind airing them. I just don't think management is for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

Will Keane is a young lad playing for United. Give him a chance to play the game first! I think the real question is 'Roy Keane manage again?'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

The Irish media just get annoying about whatever club Keane is managing. When he got the Sunderland job, they misjudged the interest in it entirely IMO and started acting like everyone were Sunderland supporters....even before he bought about 5 million Irish players coz that's all he knew.

So I'd rather he stayed away.

Think his time would be better spent seeing a shrink!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Keane threads drawing out the :rolleyes: posts as always.

Did a decent job at Sunderland. Failed at Ipswich, but not a cathastrophic type relegation failure.

He'll get the Ireland job at some point probably.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

LuckyLloyd wrote: »

Never!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

but is that it for Irelands greatest player? Never to manage again? A great shame!!

I would think Liam Brady's management days are definitely behind him alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

BOHtox wrote: »
    Will Keane is a young lad playing for United. Give him a chance to play the game first! I think the real question is 'Roy Keane manage again?'

And I thought I was going to be so original with such a joke. Curses!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Lennonist

Paully D wrote: »

I agree with your point on great players not necessarily being great managers and I think it's harder for them as they expect players to be able to do things that came easy to them and get frustrated when they can't. It came to a head for Keane when he slapped Dean Whitehead in the dressing room because of this.

But I would never class him as a failure at Sunderland. The club he walked into was a complete shambles and completely different to the one he left, both on and off the field, mostly thanks to him.

Did he actually slap Dean Whitehead, like spank him? Any details on that encounter? I recall him saying that Brian Clough punched him out at half time one time in his early Forest days.

Keane can do a manager job again depending on how much he really wants it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Lennonist wrote: »
    Did he actually slap Dean Whitehead, like spank him? Any details on that encounter? I recall him saying that Brian Clough punched him out at half time one time in his early Forest days.

He just can't do a very good one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Lennonist

He just can't do a very good one.

He did alright at Sunderland in the beginning anyway, and showed he had the ability to be a good manager. As I say if he really wants to manage again he'll get the opportunity. He mightn't want the hassle and hard work that goes with it. Pundit job is a handier number, but it's not a real job in the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭bohsboy

Handing out jobs to traitors?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

If he allowed him self to take a role of assistant manager, or a role under mentorship, then maybe yes, and could possibly be a great manager.

Otherwise, probably no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

Was 1st choice for the Birmingham City job last summer, but he turned down an interview till after the Euros. So they went with Lee Clark instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,720 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Hopefully...it's good for a laugh if nothing else.

would you laugh in his face ?

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭Fitzo

Roy Keane won't manage again for one very simple reason; he's a crap manager.

Not rocket science.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

Keane threads drawing out the :rolleyes: posts as always.

Did a decent job at Sunderland. Failed at Ipswich, but not a cathastrophic type relegation failure.

And hopefully frighten the hell outta Delaney and force him to resign :)

With any luck he'll take the Utd job followed by the England job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

Would love to see him manage Ireland, just what we need.

Would love to see him manage Ireland, just what we need.

As a player he was God to me, but it would turn into a circus if he ever got the job.

Bad bad bad move if he ever got it.

One bad result and it be the Stan era all over only 10 times worse as he is still despised by so many in this country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭smellmepower

Some Turkish side were interested in him a while back weren't they?

Thought he did a decent job at Sunderland,but it didn't really seem like his heart was in it at Ipswich.

Certainly not the catastrophic managerial failure some here are making him out to be anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

bohsboy wrote: »
    Handing out jobs to traitors?

He was SENT HOME! Can you explain how that makes him a "traitor"?!!!

Lord protect us from these keyboard warriors and their cheap shots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,004 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

grenache wrote: »

Ah, is it time for this debate again...buckle up folks, it's going to be a rough one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Fitzo wrote: »
    Roy Keane won't manage again for one very simple reason; he's a crap manager.

Not rocket science.

Except his record doesn't support that assertion?

• Advertisement

Good old Bohs fans. Would not be the same without them having a hump about Keane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

Good old Bohs fans. Would not be the same without them having a hump about Keane.

Kwilliams.jpg

BOHtox wrote: »

The obsession is strong.

For whatever reason im not sure though.;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭lala88

His dictatorial style is a no go in the modern game. Players are materially rich from an early age now and not so much in awe and fear of managers anymore. Nowadays it is the players who hold all the power. I think Fergie retiring is the last we'll see of that all-knowing, hair-dyer type manager. This is a fact that Keane will never be able to grasp, great and all a player as he was. I can just picture players rolling their eyes, yawning and saying "Yeh whatever" as Keane rants and raves. He is better suited to blowing steam inside a TV studio.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

He probably wouldn't be a bad international manager, I thought he failed most in the transfer market. Compare him to a manager of similar age like Rodgers, could you see Roy being able to spot a coutinho, and a player like Sturidge would just p!ss Keane off too much.

Give Keane a bit of time and theres nothing to say he can't come back in 10 years if he puts some work in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭Fitzo

Except his record doesn't support that assertion?

One Championship win by throwing money around, followed by abject failure in the Premier League due to the aforementioned throwing of money around. He had 49 first team players signed at one stage there...

Ipswich as well, another disaster despite throwing money around like a lunatic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Didn't he sell pretty much every half decent youth player at Ipswich?
    I hope he stays in football though, don't like the man, but he's interesting to have around.
    Whatever you say about his managerial record, I doubt there's many fans around that would want him to take over their club.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Don't have any opinion on him either way?

Wouldn't want to see him as Ireland manager though, there is, and likely always will be better options.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭peabutler

I'd have no problem if Roy took the Ireland Job... Once it had been offered to Mick McCarthy first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,985 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

If/When he mellows a bit he could become a great one I think.

Lennonist wrote: »

He smacked him in the head at half time of a cup game against Northampton and then karate kicked a tactics board. More details of the encounter from Dwight Yorke, who was in the dressing room at the time, here:

http://www.fourfourtwo.com/news/yorke-comes-clean-keane-regime

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

eagle eye wrote: »
    If/When he mellows a bit he could become a great one I think.

When he's about 80 then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭bohsboy

grenache wrote: »

I'd of personally kicked him onto the plane.....

That interview led to a furious row, during which Keane told McCarthy. "Mick, you're a liar... you're a ****ing wanker. I didn't rate you as a player, I don't rate you as a manager, and I don't rate you as a person. You're a ****ing wanker and you can stick your World Cup up your arse. The only reason I have any dealings with you is that somehow you are the manager of my country! You can stick it up your bollocks."

Good riddance you traitor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Jesus don't bring up Saipan lol thats like a magic word for people to go mad on soccer forums,

I don't think he's much a manager either, He was lucky at Sunderland , he bought practicly a whole squad, to take them up and then did the same thing, If i was a manager of a championship team with more money than the rest, I think i'd do an alright job

Don't know what the hell happened him at Ipswich though

Let all the anger out lads.

Dont stop.

• Advertisement
Advertisement