Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Will Roy Keane manage again?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭dream brother

Be a Manager!!?

I want him as President!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Not Saipan again! I thought everyone agreed at this stage that both Keane and McCarthy were wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Paully D wrote: »
    He smacked him in the head at half time of a cup game against Northampton and then karate kicked a tactics board. More details of the encounter from Dwight Yorke, who was in the dressing room at the time, here:

http://www.fourfourtwo.com/news/yorke-comes-clean-keane-regime

See slapping Whitehead around the head doesn't surprise me with Keane because he respected Brian Clough immensely.

And Clough punched Keane at half-time in a game.

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Brian-Clough-punched-me-at-Nottingham-Forest-admits-Roy-Keane-after-launching-scathing-attack-on-Ipswich-players-article359991.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

A lucky manager at Sunderland with big financial backing. Just wants to treat players like Clough treated him when the going gets tough, which in this day and age will only get you so far. Nobody will give him a big budget again and he has it too easy loathing himself being a pundit on TV.
    Roy Keane wrote:
    Will those on telly yesterday be remembered for what they’ve achieved? None whatsoever. I wouldn’t trust them to walk my dog. There are ex-players and ex-referees being given air-time who I wouldn’t listen to in a pub.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Dempsey wrote: »
    A lucky manager at Sunderland with big financial backing. Just wants to treat players like Clough treated him when the going gets tough, which in this day and age will only get you so far. Nobody will give him a big budget again and he has it too easy loathing himself being a pundit on TV.

Thing is if you watch videos of ex-Forest players talking about Clough the one thing they say is that he was capable of the 'arm around the shoulder' approach with players as well as acting the hard-ass, dictator.

I think Keane is capable of the latter but not the former.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Fitzo wrote: »
    One Championship win by throwing money around, followed by abject failure in the Premier League due to the aforementioned throwing of money around. He had 49 first team players signed at one stage there...

Ipswich as well, another disaster despite throwing money around like a lunatic.

I know right, just the one Championship win after taking over a team bottom after six games. Sure anyone could do that - except the vast majority of football league managers will never win a league title.

And 'abject failure'? Did they not stay up the first year?

Ipswich was disappointing, but a disaster it was not. Wolves last season, that's a disaster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Jesus don't bring up Saipan lol thats like a magic word for people to go mad on soccer forums,

I don't think he's much a manager either, He was lucky at Sunderland , he bought practicly a whole squad, to take them up and then did the same thing, If i was a manager of a championship team with more money than the rest, I think i'd do an alright job

Don't know what the hell happened him at Ipswich though
    Fitzo wrote: »
    One Championship win by throwing money around, followed by abject failure in the Premier League due to the aforementioned throwing of money around. He had 49 first team players signed at one stage there...

Ipswich as well, another disaster despite throwing money around like a lunatic.

Keane spent around £8m in the Championship. To put that into comparison, Cardiff spent £10m last year in their promotion year, West Brom also spent £8m in their promotion season, heck Sheffield United spend around the same the year after us and finished 9th, Charlton spent almost £7m and finished 12th. Leicester spent over £12m in one season and finished 9th.

Spending money is not a sure-bet for promotion, especially in a league like the Championship.

He also needed to buy practically a new squad, don't forget that the squad he inherited was absolute poison, had finished with a record low points total in the Premier League, were rock bottom of the Championship after achieving 0 points in games before he took over and had been dumped out of the cup by Bury. It's also worth noting that from January 1st to the last day of the season, we lost 1 game and drew 3, winning the rest.

He performed close to a miracle that year in transforming us on and off the field, building a new team and taking us from bottom of the league to the top.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Paully D wrote: »
    Keane spent around £8m in the Championship. To put that into comparison, Cardiff spent £10m last year in their promotion year, West Brom also spent £8m in their promotion season, heck Sheffield United spend around the same the year after us and finished 9th, Charlton spent almost £7m and finished 12th. Leicester spent over £12m in one season and finished 9th.

Spending money is not a sure-bet for promotion, especially in a league like the Championship.

He also needed to buy practically a new squad, don't forget that the squad he inherited was absolute poison, had finished with a record low points total in the Premier League, were rock bottom of the Championship after achieving 0 points in games before he took over and had been dumped out of the cup by Bury. It's also worth noting that from January 1st to the last day of the season, we lost 1 game and drew 3, winning the rest.

He performed close to a miracle that year in transforming us on and off the field, building a new team and taking us from bottom of the league to the top.

What did all those clubs spend the year Sunderland got promoted under keane. talking about budgets in recent years is misleading

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

His transfer dealings show up a dismal judge of a player, similar to Souness in the sense that being an eloquent pundit doesn't mean you're going to cut it in management.

Could you imagine Bob Paisley as a pundit ?, in his cardigan, slippers and indecipherable Co Durham dialect. He'd be laughed out the door as a manager or pundit in today's all fur coat and no knickers era. Wasn't bad though was he?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭StephenHendry

did great the first 2 seasons keano was with sunderland after they losing the first 5 games, keano did well the first season in the prem as well, i suppose it was always likely to end in tears as i couldn't believe it when he became manager with quinn as chairman. nothing went right at ipswich, i'd say he will give it another go but atm he's proving to be a good pundit on itv with some memorable moments notably his views on the nani sending off against madrid in last years CL and his comments on IRl in the euros :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I'm surprised someone hasn't snapped him up for a coaching role of note. I think hes wasted as a pundit.

There are very few people left in world football that had such a burning desire and passion to drive a team forward. He was inspirational with his play though, not his words, and I think thats where people assumed he would be a good manager. I don't think anyone ever got inspired by Keane with something he said, it was what he did on the pitch with a football ( or in alot of cases, without).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,985 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

dd972 wrote: »
    His transfer dealings show up a dismal judge of a player, similar to Souness in the sense that being an eloquent pundit doesn't mean you're going to cut it in management.

Could you imagine Bob Paisley as a pundit ?, in his cardigan, slippers and indecipherable Co Durham dialect. He'd be laughed out the door as a manager or pundit in today's all fur coat and no knickers era. Wasn't bad though was he?
    Thats Graeme Souness that won a League Cup with Blackburn in 2002?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Dempsey wrote: »
    What did all those clubs spend the year Sunderland got promoted under keane. talking about budgets in recent years is misleading

From what I can find, spending in the year we went up in order of final league position was:

1) Sunderland £9.5m
    2) Birmingham £14m

3) Derby £6.5m
    4) West Brom £3m
    5) Wolves £1.5m
    6) Southampton £6.1m

7) Preston (can't find any info)
    8) Stoke £1.75m
    9) Sheffield Wednesday £500,000
    10) Colchester £0m

Notable others:

13) Crystal Palace £4.2m
    17) Coventry £3.1m

If it makes any difference, from what I have viewed, Sunderland were also the highest recipients of incoming money from selling players in the Championship that year too, with slightly over £8m coming in from sales.

Spending money isn't the only thing neccessary, as I'm sure teams like Leicester, Sheffield United and Charlton would be quick to point out. Keane came in and turned a club who had been the laughing stock of football a few months previously getting relegated with a record low points total, into Championship winners. I don't think people actually realise how bad a state the club was in when he came in. There was about three or four out of the squad who wanted to be there and the rest wanted out, many not even bothering to turn up to training any more. He gave the whole city a lift and gave supporters belief in their team once more. Ask any Sunderland fan what their favourite season following Sunderland has been in the last 10 years and they will all, to a man, say Keane's Championship season. His impact just cannot be overstated. Look at this run we went on from early November onwards below, I can't imagine there's too many teams who have done similar to that in such a tough division.

2cf2296e15674b19e2e85db9f59c048f.png
    f4368cdd6d737749c008d4ae051eda77.png

I could go on all day about things I didn't/don't like about Keane as a manager or his faults or whatever, and believe me there's many. But it really annoys me when people say the only reason he achieved relative success with us was because of money. What he did with us considering the state we were in before he arrived was miraculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Terrible manager and even worse pundit,if i never saw his face again it would be too soon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭SirDelboy18

Has the potential to be a good manager, but needs to learn from experience kind of like AVB learned from his time at Chelsea.

His time at Sunderland was convincing enough in my eyes for him to merit one more go at a Championship club.

• Advertisement

Probably be an ok Championship manager. That's probably his level.

Not good enough for the top division in England imo.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭lala88

eagle eye wrote: »
    Thats Graeme Souness that won a League Cup with Blackburn in 2002?

Its also the same Graeme Souness that made probably the worst transfer in history

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

I'm hoping that when I win the lotto I can tempt Roy back to manage Ramblers with Nicky Byrne from Westlife as his assistant.

BOHtox wrote: »
    Kwilliams.jpg

Boards is the only place i see people put pictures like this up. Do people think there funny by doing it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

lala88 wrote: »
    Boards is the only place i see people put pictures like this up. Do people think there funny by doing it?

Christ you're grumpy. You only see them on Boards. Really? Where else do you expect to see them? Shopping? On the bus?

The poster referenced an obsession on the Bohs forum with Roy Keane. Any reader of the Bohs forum would recognise that picture as it's regularly posted as a recurring joke, not too dissimilar from Atari Jaguar. Don't go near YLYL or the Cool Pics forums, you might see pictures there you may not find funny too.

• Advertisement

BOHtox wrote: »
    Christ you're grumpy. You only see them on Boards. Really? Where else do you expect to see them? Shopping? On the bus?

The poster referenced an obsession on the Bohs forum with Roy Keane. Any reader of the Bohs forum would recognise that picture as it's regularly posted as a recurring joke, not too dissimilar from Atari Jaguar. Don't go near YLYL or the Cool Pics forums, you might see pictures there you may not find funny too.

Yes i do, a clear fail of an attempt for being funny backed up the the lack of likes on it.

The rest of your post only back the claim that it only happens on boards as everything you've said has something to do with it

eagle eye wrote: »
    If/When he mellows a bit he could become a great one I think.

More chance of a pig going to the moon in a Lada then that happening

Roy just cannot remain cool and composed enough to be manager. Fergie he is not.
    Fergie adjusted his personality to the situation and the specific player in the given situation....Keane is just incapable of this

I actually like him as a pundit though as he is not afraid to say what's on his mind. He has firm belief in his own opinion and is not fickle. He'll shoot from the hip and those who dont like it....tough sh*t. You have to admire that about him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭StephenHendry

Roy just cannot remain cool and composed enough to be manager. Fergie he is not.
    Fergie adjusted his personality to the situation and the specific player in the given situation....Keane is just incapable of this

I actually like him as a pundit though as he is not afraid to say what's on his mind. He has firm belief in his own opinion and is not fickle. He'll shoot from the hip and those who dont like it....tough sh*t. You have to admire that about him

spot on tipp gunner, roy's a good pundit and i can see staying there for a few years yet. i think he's a better manager than some of the players who played under fergie such as the likes of mcleish, steve bruce, bryan robson, mark hughes etc. look at the amount of chances that hughes has got and i think roy will be in the frame when the ireland managers job comes around :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

lala88 wrote: »

Never think it's that funny, Kenneth Williams would probably still make a better Ipswich or Sunderland manager though :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

If there is one thing I can imagine that wud be worse that Trap staying on , it'd be Keane taking over. Nightmare...sh!t manager and from day 1 wud have many Ireland supporters against him.

Advertisement