Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Staff Christmas Parties

Options
  • 04-09-2013 12:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

Hello all, I have been put in charge of organising the Christmas Party (again) and I was wondering if anyone has any good suggestions for the Dublin area. We used the Bewleys hotel last year (near Dublin airport) but no one wants to go back there......I have started to google a few places but not many hotels have their brochures up yet......any suggestions welcome. Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

How many people are in the group?

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Daisymay2007

There are 6 of us. So something along the lines of one of them hotel deals where you get a dinner and show/dancing....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,363 ✭✭✭washiskin

Not exactly what you're looking for but maybe a nice alternative - a group of us used to go Ice Skating in the RDS & then have dinner in a Bistro in town followed by an evening in The Long Stone (we used to do a €5 lucky dip too but then there were up to 20 of us). Great fun and very Christmassy....:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Love2love

I think the Regency Hotel on the Swords Road to something like this. They had East 17 for their Christmas Party nights last year, I think!

Or the Red Cow if you want to go that far (I'm assuming you are based on the Northside by your choice of venue last year!)

Great, thanks. I think the regency might be a winner.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,510 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

You could also try Shellbourne park for a night at the dogs.
    I know a few people who have went to this in Cork and Dublin and they enjoyed the experience and the food was good.
    The Brochure isn't up to date for 2012 yet tough.
    http://www.igb.ie/Great-Night-Out/ChristmasParties/

Thanks freshpopcorn but one of my colleagues is completely against dog racing................I was going to book it a couple of years ago and a hissy fit was thrown.......but thanks for the suggestion.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,562 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Tell them it's either the dogs or going on a big staff holiday to Madrid for the Bullfighting. :pac:

I had my work Christmas party in The Recency a couple of years ago and it was really good. Almost everybody really enjoyed it as I recall. And the Christmas dinner we got was lovely. There was also a late bar for those who had decided to stay.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

Does it have to be one of those hotel organised dos? One of our best Christmas parties was in Café Boulevard. I'm not sure if its the same as it was a few years ago, but when we went we ate our meal and then they turn the lights down and the music up, and everyone just dances around the place :pac: We were dancing on chairs and set a table alight with flaming sambucas by accident... Was great craic! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 24,596 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Love2love wrote: »
    I think the Regency Hotel on the Swords Road to something like this. They had East 17 for their Christmas Party nights last year, I think!

That was in The Regency?

I thought it was in The Seventh Circle of Hell...

• Advertisement

Organised hotel do.....its just easier. I know its only 6 people but 4 of the 6 are fussy feckers. So limited enough....told no dogs, told no restaurants, has to be accessible, has to be cheap..........jesus.

Anways, its probs gonna be the Regency, I see East 17 are doing their thing again this year........can't wait........ :-/

• Registered Users Posts: 30,510 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

You have a hard job organizing the party by the sounds of it. You could try and have a suggestions box of what they could input their ideas because they seem awkward.
    My sister is a teacher and last year when they were finishing for Christmas they went for lunch in a nice local delicatessen/restaurant at the end of the day. It suited everybody they didn't have to commute anywhere/nobody had to drink/it was easy to get home/they didn't have to get dressed up. It worked out brilliant because everybody was in a good mood because it was the day of the holidays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Yeah you could have a suggestion box. Or you could tell them to stop being picky ****ers and go where you organize or organize it themselves. Seems like a bit of a thankless job op.

Yeah, to be honest since it's such a small amount of (picky) people I'd be asking them to agree on something themselves if they're quite fussy!

Reckon this would be my dream Christmas Shindig.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭Pang

It's a little bit outside Dublin but I would seriously recommend Avon Ri in Blessington. We had our Christmas party there two years in a row and it was the best fun I've ever had at a Christmas party. We had it on a Friday night. We all went directly from work and stayed in the houses out there that night. It was cheap enough at the time.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

washiskin wrote: »
    Reckon this would be my dream Christmas Shindig.....

You work with a bunch of muppets too?? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1 DebbsB

Hi,

I'm trying to organise a Christmas work party in Cork. Has anyone been to The Clarion or The Metropole Party Nights?

Thanks 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭spaceylou

Hello all, I am looking for ideas for a Christmas party in Dublin and wondering if anyone has any ideas/suggestions?

We are a voluntary group of around 20 (give or take) and while I have looked at the various 'party nights' on offer in hotels/bars etc some of the group are under 18 so we need to find something festive to do that is suitable for all ages, for the first half of the party anyway. We are all also kinda broke so whatever we do must be on a slender budget.

All suggestions welcome, thanks :)

Hi Spacey, if you scroll down the Forum there's a recent thread on this with some ideas. :)

Do you think it's worth a sticky, Posy?

• Advertisement

Threads merged

I'll see how many more questions we get on Christmas nights out before stickying. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭spaceylou

washiskin wrote: »
    Hi Spacey, if you scroll down the Forum there's a recent thread on this with some ideas. :)

Do you think it's worth a sticky, Posy?

I had seen that thread (which my thread is now merged with) but as it was about staff parties, (which I am not organising) on the North Side of Dublin (where we are not located) and for a different age group - I posted a new thread. Thanks anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭deelite

I organised a "Lunch party" one Christmas. We went to a restaurant - had a gorgeous lunch/dinner - we finished up about six, some people went home and some hit the pubs.

Advertisement