Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Job Bridge getting serious?

Options
  • 04-09-2013 12:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi guys I have been doing an internship in an outsourced sales office since April (5 months now) out of 9 months, I am currently making calls on behalf of a company gauging interest in an exhibition they are running, and the guy from the place wants the calls I make recorded and the number I make per day to be logged. I don't think my boss told him I am only an intern and I feel this is all to serious as I am here for experience and not being paid the commission as its paid to my boss by the number of calls made a day, what should I say to my boss, I feel like its an invasion being recorded and pressured when there is no incentive to meet any targets ..help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

You are there to get expereince of a real workplace, not as some kind of observer! Monitoring of performance happens in real workplaces. You can expect your performance to be treated as seriously as if you were a paid employee.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Lady in Black

You are there to get expereince of a real workplace, not as some kind of observer! Monitoring of performance happens in real workplaces. You can expect your performance to be treated as seriously as if you were a paid employee.

I don't think that's how the scheme works actually, if they want to treat me like an employee they should pay me a wage like an employee, not have an intern doing a proper job

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭j.s. pill II

If you're doing any kind of phone based work these days, whether it's call centre work, tech support, sales or whatever - expect your work to be monitored quantified.

You'll see monitoring and Key performance indicator tools used in even very small organisations these days - there's no avoiding it so get used to it! I'm taking it everyone else doing your role (whether paid or unpaid) is subject to the same kind of monitoring?

It sounds like you may need to start taking this role a bit more seriously. I'm not suggesting that you're behaving as if the job is beneath you or anything - just remember that the whole point of internships/jobsbridge is to get real experience of 'proper' jobs. Just because you're not getting paid right now doesn't mean that your work is not important or cannot be of benefit to you yourself.

Perhaps they want to monitor whether or not you would be good enough to employ?

Advertisement