Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dont ever go with 123.ie

• 04-09-2013 12:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

They will simply try to milk you any possible way.

At first it looks like you got jackpot with cheapest offer, but then you pay, and you pay and you pay.

Just moved house and got 228 !!!! euro increase cause i moved to higher risk ( anyone who lives in Galway know that there is hardly any difference regarding place you live in)

Cancellation might work, i MIGHT get 40 % money ive paid back..so im screwed anyway.

My advice is - dont pay money for the whole year, or just simply find someone else.

123.ie is a ripoff.

Cheers.

Comments

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Do you need a hug?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Woooj

If you are a female, then sure ;)

If you are a dude, then go hug a bus on N6 :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 829 ✭✭✭Eoin247

But.... the TV says otherwise.

The TV doesn't lie, it's an inorganic machine that can only say the truth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

123 isn't the only company that hike insurance cost up if you move to a different address.
    Be happy you didn't move to Moyross or Finglas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭power pants

Out of interest, is there original offer plus the 228e still lower than the other insurance companies?

• Advertisement

Nope. its 150 euro more expencieve than 2 others.

But now - as there is cancellation fee, and other fees ( of course there are), it will cost about 400 euro more to move.

Ill probably still do it, since im pissed off pretty bad, just passing my experience out to the people :)

Im burnt, other people dont have to be :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

All insurance companies are a ****ing disgrace.

Recently renewed with axa, rang the local office, online and another office in the country.

Got quotes from e625 to e1027. This is 6 years Ncb and full clean license 5 years, same car as last yer which was e730.

Quite remarkable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭BohsCeltic

They upped my premium this year over €200 despite nothing changing apart from my age and an extra years NCB, I shopped around and changed Insurer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭BArra

123 motor insurance also charge 40e to make any change to policy

Need a courtesy car for a few days? 40e to change it to that car...and another 40e to change back to your own car...

Move house? 40e admin fee...

Get a new car? 40e admin fee

Never will use them again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭COYW

BohsCeltic wrote: »
    They upped my premium this year over €200 despite nothing changing apart from my age and an extra years NCB, I shopped around and changed Insurer

Did you ask them why your premium was increased, if you don't mind me asking? If so, what reason/s were given? Both of those factors should work in your favour, assuming that you are not an OAP. Have you had an accident in the last 3-5 years?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭BohsCeltic

COYW wrote: »
    Did you ask them why your premium was increased, if you don't mind me asking? If so, what reason/s were given? Both of those factors should work in your favour, assuming that you are not an OAP. Have you had an accident in the last 3-5 years?

I did and they gave no reason and didn't seem too bothered.
    I'm claim free all my life.
    Last October my car was hit at a petrol station while i was in paying and a witness got the reg number as the other car drove off. I reported it to both insurance and Guards.
    123 were no help at all apart from adding over €800 to my premium on renewal as i had an open claim even though i was assured it would not affect my premium.
    They closed the claim but it was still €200 more expensive.

Having dealt with them on that occasion i lost all confidence in them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭lomb

123 are good for the majority of people who dont make changes and dont claim. I found them very reasonable and efficient while I was with them. I knew about the 40e to change when I signed up so that didnt bother me. I only moved from them to pay 60% more as they dont cover modified cars and wished to disclose that. Someone I know had a 400bhp XJR insured fully comp for 550 euros when everyone else wanted 1500.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 998 ✭✭✭dharma200

lomb wrote: »
    123 are good for the majority of people who dont make changes and dont claim. I found them very reasonable and efficient while I was with them. I knew about the 40e to change when I signed up so that didnt bother me. I only moved from them to pay 60% more as they dont cover modified cars and wished to disclose that. Someone I know had a 400bhp XJR insured fully comp for 550 euros when everyone else wanted 1500.

What is the point of an insurance company that is no good if you have to make a claim... Or make changes, that's like saying, here is a company , who, if you don't avail of their services, are actually really good, but the minute you have to avail of any service, are totally crap.... That to me is a bad company, wether I have to make a claim or not...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,329 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

This is why these relatively new insurance companies to the market can generally undercut their rivals and draw new customers. They make back the difference by charging administration fees on services relating to their policies. So it's either you pay more up front for your policy from another insurance company/broker and get the admin services included whether you use them or not, alternatively pay a lower priced premium from the likes of 123 and then pay extra for admin services if you use them. It's nothing new, similar to the business model Ryan Air have been using for years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

Do any insurance companies not charge an admin fee?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,329 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

AIG Direct say they don't. Most if they don't charge extra for it then it is probably built into their premium price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 774 ✭✭✭debabyjesus

Was with Aon insure who seem to have sold their car insurance business to 123. I'll be movin to fbd or similiar next time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Victor Meldrew

BArra wrote: »
    123 motor insurance also charge 40e to make any change to policy

Need a courtesy car for a few days? 40e to change it to that car...and another 40e to change back to your own car...

Move house? 40e admin fee...

Get a new car? 40e admin fee

Never will use them again

I just moved to them as they were €120 cheaper than the renewal. my old broker told me that they were undercutting everyone. However, part of this is that you have to be willing to change company every year and haggle like hell.

I accept that next year will be interesting.

house insurance is now with someone else because they were taking the proverbial to the tune of €140.

Service fees are pretty much everywhere, and thats kind of ok i guess ( no choice really), but moving from Dangan area to Roscam area, where they are pretty much the same distance from City Center, and then saying that "claims in that area are higher, and that makes it higher risk area" is like saying : we dont give a f..ck where the accident happened, people claiming live beside you..

Funny thing thou is, they wouldnt pay me back if i would move back to the Dangan area.(well, not really funny)

Thanks for all posts guys. Ive vented a bit.

Will walk away and take all my bussiness elsewhere. And will advise all my friends not to go with 123 ever.

Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

Ive moved 3 insurance companies in 3 years. Year one you get a good quote, then year 2 sees a jump of up to 25% come through the door, for no reason (that I can see). Then a phone converstion ensues like:

Me: I see the premium has gone up 200 euro this year for no apparent reason?
    Them:Well, wait there a sec, lets see what we can do..............Ok, we can give you a renewal of 625eu.
    Me:Thats still more expensive than last year despite an extra years NCB. Ill going to ring a few others companies.
    Them: Ok, but make sure to notify us before changing.

Later:

Me: Hi, me again, I rang earlier, I since got a quote of 480 from X so ive decided to go with them.
    Them: Wait there second..........3 mins later..........I was talking to my manager we can do the package for 550eu with all the perks and our break down service is better than theirs. etc etc.
    Me: No thanks, its still too expensive.

Ive had this conversation with a number of different insurance companies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭Cerco

Woooj wrote: »

At first it looks like you got jackpot with cheapest offer, but then you pay, and you pay and you pay.

Just moved house and got 228 !!!! euro increase cause i moved to higher risk ( anyone who lives in Galway know that there is hardly any difference regarding place you live in)

Cancellation might work, i MIGHT get 40 % money ive paid back..so im screwed anyway.

My advice is - dont pay money for the whole year, or just simply find someone else.

123.ie is a ripoff.

Cheers.
    All insurance companies have varying rates depending on the risk. If you move to a location with a higher risk profile then your premium increases, This is standard practice and in no way justifies your post title.
    You bought a no frills policy and are now complaing when they charge for extras. Welcome to the Ryan Air of the insurance world.

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭PLUG71

Cerco wrote: »
    All insurance companies have varying rates depending on the risk. If you move to a location with a higher risk profile then your premium increases, This is standard practice and in no way justifies your post title.
    You bought a no frills policy and are now complaing when they charge for extras. Welcome to the Ryan Air of the insurance world.
    Wow,do you work for 123.ie?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭PLUG71

Im also with 123.ie!
    I recently changed cars from a 04 Volvo s60 T5 which is 260 bhp etc etc and was fully comp.
    I bought a 02 Honda Civic Type R which is 200 bhp etc etc.
    123.ie would only insure the Type R third party and only because im an existing customer.
    The Type R was more expensive than the Volvo S60 premium wise.
    I have since bought a boring but usefull Volvo V70 D5 estate car (diesel) and 123 in their wisdom charged me €150.00 + €40.00 admin more a year stating that the V70 is a higher risk car than the T5,Type R & Impreza WRX I owned before that.???????

There is no consistancy to their criteria and im pretty damn sure that 123 are not the only rip off merchants in the motor insurance trade.

The funny thing is that the WRX was the cheapest of them all:confused::D

A more comprehensive regulation off these companys is urgently required.:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 126 ✭✭holdmybeer

Same as, got hit by a van in a roundabout and they put the screws to me despite not being at fault. Fcuk them. Their great if you 1.Never go anywhere 2.Don't ever claim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,138 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

So you got iinsurance on one property which you were happy to pay for, but then moved property and wanted the insurance to stay the same. That's like buying a 1.0 litre car, insuring it, then complaining when your insurance company wants more because you've bought a 2.5 litre Turbo.

Grow up OP.

Quazzie wrote: »
    So you got iinsurance on one property which you were happy to pay for, but then moved property and wanted the insurance to stay the same. That's like buying a 1.0 litre car, insuring it, then complaining when your insurance company wants more because you've bought a 2.5 litre Turbo.

Grow up OP.

I thought the op just moved house but same car? Premium rise was the car insurance in a different neighbourhood, was it not?

Its all about car and the fact that i changed house from one to another (Still Galway, still peacefull family neighbourhood, nothing really changed - if anything - ill drive to work 7 mins and not 15..)

What they are saying is that i moved in to the ghetto.And cause of that ill have to pay more.

Cerco @ seriously dude? higher risk area? Based on what exactly? That there is an air port in Shannon closer by 1 km than my previous adress?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Victor Meldrew

PLUG71 wrote: »
    I have since bought a boring but usefull Volvo V70 D5 estate car (diesel) and 123 in their wisdom charged me €150.00 + €40.00 admin more a year stating that the V70 is a higher risk car than the T5,Type R & Impreza WRX I owned before that.???????

There is no consistancy to their criteria and im pretty damn sure that 123 are not the only rip off merchants in the motor insurance trade.

You probably spooked them by clearly being a bit of a petrol head...

I think there is an element of "Schrodinger's Cat" about car insurance. Even to ask about how much cars are to insure changes what they would be to insure, and increased measurement means you will end up with a dead cat*

Apologies to all theoretical physicists and cat lovers out there. On second thoughts, sod the cat lovers...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭NobodyImportant

They are the Ryanair of Insurance brokers.

Great up front price, but didnt print your boarding pass? 1KG overweight? BEND OVER!

Their admin fee's are a total joke and negate any savings if you need any changes during the year. Allianz used to let me change from a normal 1.5 Civic onto an S2000 for a few weekends a year and never charged me a penny. 123 wouldnt do that.

• Advertisement

They are the Ryanair of Insurance brokers.

Great up front price, but didnt print your boarding pass? 1KG overweight? BEND OVER!

Their admin fee's are a total joke and negate any savings if you need any changes during the year. Allianz used to let me change from a normal 1.5 Civic onto an S2000 for a few weekends a year and never charged me a penny. 123 wouldnt do that.
    LOL. So the big bad insurance company wouldn't let you change your policy from a slot FWD honda to a really fast RWD roadster for a blast every few weekends. I wonder how they are still operational with such insane policies. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

They're cheap for a reason, but to be fair it's not like the admin fees are a secret, they're up on the website.

You need to shop around when buying insurance and see what suits you best. For a while I was changing my car 3 times a year, just driving desirable cars for a few months. I used a broker, they never charged me a fee to change the actual insurance, though they increased or decreased premiums depending on the car. They were more expensive initially than 123 and a couple of other ones, but over a couple of years that I needed them they worked out cheaper.

I'm with Chill (Zurich) now, as I've no intention of changing car or address for the next year or so, so it suits me with the quote that they gave me.

pippip wrote: »
    Do any insurance companies not charge an admin fee?

Most do, some will let you off, if you're dealing with a broker they usually let you off if you're a regular customer in my experience.

Why do people seem to think that they should be able to keep changing things, making admin work, and it not to cost more?

Either get the cheaper price with 123.ie and be happy to pay the admin or pay the bit extra for someone like AIG and get your free admin.

Don't expect to book Ryanair and get the frills Aer Lingus

Guys, you seem to miss one thing - charging 40 euro for change adress is one thing, but charging me 228 euro for moving to "higher risk area" when Galway is relatively the same everywhere you move - is different.

ps. making admin work when changing adress online? Is that really worth 40 euro? If i would call them - 40 euro. I change online - 40 euro..welcome to 21 century when you can change things online - cheaper?

Did you change the address online or on the phone?

PS generally the online is just a form that an admin person then enters manually into the system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

Guys, you seem to miss one thing - charging 40 euro for change adress is one thing, but charging me 228 euro for moving to "higher risk area" when Galway is relatively the same everywhere you move - is different.

ps. making admin work when changing adress online? Is that really worth 40 euro? If i would call them - 40 euro. I change online - 40 euro..welcome to 21 century when you can change things online - cheaper?

It does sound ridiculously high alright. It's less than a tonne moving from d4 to d11 fully comp with 123.ie. 98 Honda Civic.

• Advertisement

Its all about car and the fact that i changed house from one to another (Still Galway, still peacefull family neighbourhood, nothing really changed - if anything - ill drive to work 7 mins and not 15..)

What they are saying is that i moved in to the ghetto.And cause of that ill have to pay more.

Cerco @ seriously dude? higher risk area? Based on what exactly? That there is an air port in Shannon closer by 1 km than my previous adress?
    Sorry Woooj but I cannot tell what criteria they used but all insurance companies hav a schedule of prices which vary by your home location. It might be based on the number of claims for accidents, thefts, damage etc etc. I don't know if the proximity of the airport would be an issue. I don't work in insurance I just buy policies like everyone else. I have in the past been loaded when I moved house so I know the pain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭giant_midget

123.ie are a bunch of *******
    I'm insured with FBD it's cheap enough as im 32 with 9 years NCB.

I was in an accident at the end of last year (no fault of mine) and the amount of hassle i had trying to get a cheque from them was unbelievable. unpleasant monkeys that dont even return calls to you. totally unprofessional in my opinion.

BTW i have the details of the head of claims and various other chimps in 123.ie if anyone needs them to do with a claim dispute.. PM me...

I had to rattle a few cages my very own unique way and i got my cheque in the end..only through annoying them every day for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭generalmental

123.ie is a ripoff.

Cheers.

Same thing happened to me. I was living in a sh1thole in dublin moved to another county and its a lovely area and they told me it was a high risk area. High risk the place is so quiet you can hear a bird ****ting FFS

LOL. So the big bad insurance company wouldn't let you change your policy from a slot FWD honda to a really fast RWD roadster for a blast every few weekends. I wonder how they are still operational with such insane policies. :rolleyes:

whoa! slow down warrior.

I'm happy to accept what i was doing was mad and to get no charge was amazing. But whether it was an S2000 or a Micra, 123.ie would charge me €40.

I was simply comparing that whilst 123 would charge you for the most basic of changes, another direct insurer wouldnt charge me from going from a Civic to an S2000 without any charge. Thats the sort of customer service thats worth paying extra up front for.

Brokers get their commision up front at the start of a policy. Doing a temp sub onto another car is 5 mins work max. Its not €40 worth of an admin charge.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 843 ✭✭✭HandsomeDan

another direct insurer wouldnt charge me from going from a Civic to an S2000 without any charge. Thats the sort of customer service thats worth paying extra up front for.

It's worth paying extra... not to be charged extra ?

Like when people complain how ryanair charge for extras, when the more expensive airlines don't...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭stoneill

Why did you tell them that you moved?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭ghogie91

I had a bad experience with 123.ie also and they are still sending the threatening third party letters for a policy that was cancelled months ago

they are totally in the wrong and theres no let up, Im embarrassed for them

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

... Will walk away and take all my bussiness elsewhere. . ...
    Good decision IMHO. I've been advising people for a good while, both here and on askaboutmoney.com, not to use 123,ie. That's based on my own experiences with them, not anyone else's. They're a disaster.

It's worth paying extra... not to be charged extra ?

Like when people complain how ryanair charge for extras, when the more expensive airlines don't...

Yes. If you know you might be moving, changing car or needing temporary subs or drivers during the year, then sometimes and extra €50 in the difference is well made up during the year. I used to often do temp subs and changed address twice in a year. No charge from my normal insurers. 123.ie would have wanted hundreds.

stoneill wrote: »

Because if he did not advise them his insurance could be voided. No point in paying for insurance and then find they will not cover you because you did not disclose important information.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

I've with with Insure.ie for 4 years now (Aviva's the broker) and got the letter informing me all new renewals are through 123.ie - not looking forward to my quote now.

advertsfox wrote: »
    I've with with Insure.ie for 4 years now (Aviva's the broker) and got the letter informing me all new renewals are through 123.ie - not looking forward to my quote now.

Why?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

Why?
    Well basically quotes with my details via website are high, went from 1.2 to 1.6 and other members quotes increasing for no such reason so I'm a little weary is all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

Workmate was with 123.ie.
    Got his renewal last week. It went from something like €400 to €1200 with no changes at all.
    He rang them and asked Why? They couldnt give an explanation.

The only thing we could think about was that he had to ring them up on behalf of his brother about his car getting robbed as his brothers english is not good.
    Seems like if you pick up the phone to them they mark you.

As a side note: The way they treated his brother was a disgrace. I eventually told him to get a solicitor as they were insisting on facts that they had and were told that those were incorrect .

stoneill wrote: »

I guess im just honest, and changing adress was never a problem before.No extra charges and such..

Ive gone throu some websites and forums about what if i wont change adress at all, and i was told that it can kill whatever claim i might have in the future , and that that they can actually bring me to court for "insurance fraud"..

Funny thing is - if i would be paying on monthly basis - they wouldnt even say a word, as i could cancel direct debit anytime. But because i paid for whole year in advance, they decided to charge me more.

( at least it looks like it to me)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement