Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Achieving Chartered Status with BSc.

Options
  • 04-09-2013 12:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭

Hi guys I’ve a BSc. in Applied Physics and Instrumentation from CIT and have 12 years industry experience as an Engineer.

I’m wanting to get myself Chartered and was wondering if anyone knows how difficult this will be. My degree isn’t recognised by IEI so I have to jump through a few hoops to get membership. Once I attain membership will it be as straight forward as everyone else to get my CEng. I don’t even think I know 2 CEngs in my industry to support my application. Am I right in saying it’s a report and interview once a member to demonstrate my career experience?

I’ve not been part of a career development program and have been self employed for 8 years. Chartered status isn’t that common in measurement and control in Ireland but I’m working in the UK now and having CEng. After your name definitely is worth having here. Also at this point in time having acquired the knowledge and experience and at a stage of my career where I wish to progress and develop to a higher level I feel I should get my education and industry experience acknowledged. I plan getting my CEng and following on to PMP potentially.

Any advice from anyone appreciated but especially from someone who has come from a situation like myself.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

you'll have to jump through hoops again to become a Chartered Engineer if you dont have the recognised qualifications.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

I would have thought that the rules are easy enough to understand, you become one if you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Skillie

I would have thought that the rules are easy enough to understand, you become one if you are.

thanks for helpful post.

I'm looking for advice from people who've become Chartered from where I stand holding a degree not recognised by the IEI for membership.

I can achieve membership with a little effort but have been told once a member i'll be advised how to get to CEng from there. No point in joining if I can't get myself to CEng. Anything I've read doesn't make it sound black and white really

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

On the website the have a document that outlines the routes for CEng and the requirements for various qualifications.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Skillie

godtabh wrote: »
    On the website the have a document that outlines the routes for CEng and the requirements for various qualifications.

thanks, I've had a look over some of that stuff and been in touch with them via email. was advised I could apply for membership by sending the form and 2500 word report in along with the fee. I will only be advised of pathway to CEng after membership is attained. Cheers

• Advertisement

Skillie wrote: »
    thanks, I've had a look over some of that stuff and been in touch with them via email. was advised I could apply for membership by sending the form and 2500 word report in along with the fee. I will only be advised of pathway to CEng after membership is attained. Cheers

Your membership application and outcome will determine what route You go for CEng. EI did publish a guide documenting the different routes and requirements. Maybe ask them for a copy

Advertisement