Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Grade your club's summer transfer activity

• 04-09-2013 12:32pm
    Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭

Categories are in red if people wish to use it as a template by quoting it or whatever.

What positions needed strengthening...

Missed targets...

Players sold/loaned...

Signings...

Additional stuff...

TL;DR...

Grade...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

What positions needed strengthening... Backup/Rotation CB, GK, DM. Good Striker to rotate with Giroud, top left sided midfielder to be first choice there.

How they did... Got the backup GK. Did nothing at CB, but signed Flamini as excellent DM backup, and his ability to play as a fullback allows Sagna to be CB cover, which isn't bad. Özil allows others to cover the left position, and is a world class signing. No striker is the big disappointment.

Missed targets... Higuain, Bender, Suarez, Di Maria, Gustavo, Ba

Players sold/loaned... Gervinho, Santos, Djourou, half the u21s released, Chamakh, Mannone, and Arshavin, Squillaci released

Additional stuff... Took far too long to actually do anything.

Grade... B-

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Needed a 4th choice CB, an DM, a LW and another ST.

How they did... Ozil makes Santi a LW so I guess that's covered. Signing a world class player is always a big plus. Flamini covers DM and makes Sagna another CB option but I would have rathered a talented young CB. Didn't get another ST which is a big negative.

Missed targets...
    Suarez, Higuain, Di Maria, Ba, Bender, Gustavo

Players sold/loaned...
    Everyone and their mother, notably Gervinho and Arshavin.

Additional stuff...
    Hard to see if there was any transfer plan at all

TL;DR...
    Ozil rescued it from disaster, the club needs to change how they plan and follow through on transfers.
    Grade... C+

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

This better not mean two threads devoted to the Man United transfer window fallout..............

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭justshane

What positions needed strengthening... Center Backs, Decent back up G.K, Box to Box midfielder.

Missed targets... De Rossi, would of really worked behind our magic trio I think.

Players sold/loaned...Lukaku loaned, not happy with it to be honest, hopfully he bangs in another 15 plus goals in the league though. Nobody of interest sold.

Additional stuff... Crazy talk of Mata leaving scared me, phewwwwww

TL;DR...~?

Grade...C, few great signings but they all seem to be the same type of player!

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

A fair bit of this is a copy and paste job from the LFC thread.

• Cover for DM
    • LWF
    • CB
    • FW

In regards to FW, it was in relation to Suarez possibly leaving.

People were kidding themselves if they thought we'd be replacing Lucas.
    I wanted ex-Red Momo Sissoko on a free transfer as cover DM. Still is possible, but unlikely given his notable flaw. Flamini would have been a decent pick up too.

Missed targets...

1) Mkhitaryan (Shaktar -> Borussia Dortmund)

Well I was in a win-win situation at most know and IMHO, he made the right decision in joining Dortmund. I won't ramble on about this as I've talked about it briefly and at length, but look up Dortmund's CEO's comments on the Mkh situation. We did bid on him. We were close. Dortmund swooped in. It wasn't just the fact Dortmund could offer CL that Liverpool missed out. There's a pic of Mkh when he was 8 or so with a Dortmund jersey too btw I don't blame the club for not signing him. He was Liverpool's primary target and Liverpool didn't get him which is err.. disappointing I suppose :D

2) Willian (Anzhi -> Chelsea)

We weren't interested in, but we saw an opportunity to get him on the cheap with Anzhi imploding and it was disappointing we seemingly didn't budge on the initial offer. Yer man Kia (Willian's agent) is a prat it's well known, BUT Willian would have strengthened the starting XI without a question of doubt. Would Chelsea have swooped in and stolen him if we were the ones signing him anyway? Probably. For this reason (Chelsea), I'm disappointed but not as much as I should be over missing out him.

3) Diego Costa (Atletico Madrid)

We were interested in but he and his agent used us for a new contract from Atleti. There really is nothing more to it really.

4) Papadopoulos (Schalke)

I'd have dearly loved to have seen here (imagine a partnership of Papa and Sakho now!), but his injury concerns were justified and credit to Papa for saying it how it should be. He wanted to prove himself before any talk of a move really happening, unfortunately for him his knee gave away again in training for Schalke. If he can get back playing and show he's over his knee injury, it wouldn't surprise me if we're back in for him as early as January depending on Skrtel's situation, if not next summer on a free transfer.

5) Thauvin (Marseill after moving from Lille)

Quite disappointed in this, the kid is super talented.

Players sold and loaned out... (notable ones)

1) Carroll (Liverpool -> West Ham, £15M)

The Nature Boy said it best. WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

2) Downing (Liverpool -> West Ham, £5M)

As above. West Ham <3<3<3

3) Borini (Liverpool -> Sunderland on loan, £1.5M fee)

Needs football and regular football. Really hope he gets it. He showed at the Euro U21 that he is a capable finisher, an instinctive one. More he thinks, the more he messes up it seems. Note 1 vs 1 chances in the past.

4) Assaidi (Liverpool -> Stoke on loan, not sure on the fee)

Like Borini. IMO he could have been a useful squad addition for us and certainly would have offered us more than Downing did for example last season but alas...

I honestly don't believe he was a Rodgers signing too.

5) Reina (Liverpool -> Napoli on loan)

Rather we had sold him to Barca this summer. I'm sure it'll happen next summer. Good move for him to Napoli. Last 5 months of the season aside in which I felt he was putting himself in the shop window for Barca, he's been poor for going on 3 to 4 years now. Perhaps a change of scenery is all that is needed with him.

6) Spearing (Liverpool -> Bolton, £1.5)

We'll miss this colossus of a man. Not really.
    Wish him well.

7) Shelvey (Liverpool -> Swansea, £5M)

Good move for him. Good move for Liverpool. There's a player there, but till he curves his recklessness, hard to say if he'll push on. I hope he does.

Signings...

1) Sakho (PSG -> Liverpool for £15M)

Signing Sakho is huge. Absolutely massive move for the club Before the summer, I'd have given us no chance in hell of signing him. None whatsoever. Anyone who has seen him knows he's legit. PSG, namely Leonardo and Ancelotti treated him terribly and thankfully they did for Liverpool's sake.

I honestly believe he is the signing of the summer, at least from a defensive outlook.

2) Luis Alberto (Sevilla -> Liverpool)

He is Shelvey's replacement and I'll reserve judgement on him. A lot of people ITK at Barca, Sevilla and Spanish football in general were disappointed he was let go. Hopeful he'll prove them right. Be interesting to see where he does nail down a position if he does as he play in a few different positions.

3) Iago Aspas (Celta Vigo -> Liverpool for £7M)

Aspas will be a useful squad player for the most part. I hope he's not entirely relegated to being a wing forward, because he can offer more than that based on last seasons game v Real Madrid where he was Bellamy MKII I watched.

Only criticism about signing him admittedly is that we should have waited a bit longer before shelling out the money on him as we needed to strengthen the starting XI first.

4) Kolo Toure (Man City -> Liverpool on a Free Transfer)

Toure has been an outstanding bit of business so far. Fairly clear to me he's a leader on the pitch and off the pitch and his performances in the first two leagues, especially when up against Benteke was superb. He was in a war with him and Toure came out on top. Not many defenders can say that. Hopefully, fingers crossed he finds that form when he returns from the injury he picked if he does start.It's a shame he's not younger, a real shame.

5) Cissokho (Valencia -> Liverpool on loan, £1M fee)

A fine addition if he can find anything like his Porto and early Lyon form where he was genuinely one of the best left backs around.

Sickened by what did happen to him though in the league cup last week. I thought in his brief time on the pitch at Villa Park he was quite good. Added some much needed power and pace to the team when he came on.

6) Thiago Ilori (Sporting Lisbon -> Liverpool for £7M)

I'm not the person to comment on Ilori tbh, I do reserve judgement on his ability till I see him. From what I read, he can play across the defence which is a nice thing to have in a player and his natural pace (quicker than Ronaldo apparently :eek:) means we can play him in a high defensive line at least.

7) Moses (Chelsea -> Liverpool on loan, £1M fee)

With Moses, while I highly doubt his ability in front of goal, I'll give him a chance to prove his worth. He does have attributes we badly needed in strength and natural speed though. Last year it really was on Sturridge who offered real pace in attack. It is disappointing we don't have an option to buying him but I suppose it's not that big of a deal as we can still bid on him next summer if he is a success here. Not sure if Chelsea want to sell if that happens though hence the lack of stipulation and hesitation in loaning him to us.

I'd be lying if I didn't say we had flat out bought someone. I had suggested Salah (Basel), Depay (PSV) and Inui (Frankfurt) all summer, all of whom who'd have cost us in and around €10M, probably less. I'd be as happy with signing Salah and Depay as I would Willian honestly.

8) Mignolet (Sunderland -> Liverpool for £9M)

Mignolet was not my first choice, second choice or third choice. Sommer (Basel), Ter Stegen (Gladbach) and Begovic (Stoke) were my top three preferred choices admittedly, in that order too. But he's an improvement on Reina in that he actually makes saves. Match winning saves at that. He is a tad suspect when punching the ball, hopefully that improves over time as does his distribution. Reina certainly has the edge on that front. Overall though, I'm pleased with us signing him so far.

Additional stuff...

We kept Suarez. We showed we won't bend over and be shafted like Arsenal have done for years. Credit to FSG for keeping their promise on this. No top 4 and I fully expect him to be off.. to a club a on the continent though. We'll cross the road if and when we come to it. Wouldn't surprise me if that happens either in January or next summer.

TL:DR...

Pleased. Sakho is a huge signing and we kept Suarez, but more could have been done in sorting out cover for DM and LWF.

Grade...

B -

__

I'll do one for Dortmund a little later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

What positions needed strengthening - 2 first team CMs- one like Fellani and one creative to give us that edge we have lacked against Chelsea and Liverpool. if we were to sign a 3rd player, then a left winger or RB would have been nice, but not essential.

Missed targets... practically every midfielder in Europe, Thiago, Fabregas and Herrara were confirmed, with late rumours that are not 100% for Di Rossi, khedira, Wesley S. add in Baines & coentrao and then the fact that apparently Ozil was offered to us, but that is not confirmed at all, just paper talk for now.

Players sold/loaned...nothing here apart from Bebe & Powell and a few younger lads.

Additional stuff...Ed Woodward and his penny penching bids and urgent dashes around the world made us a laughing stock in the transfer market, then to leave it to the last day of the window when we looked desperate and ended up losing money or bidding OTT for Khedira and only pulled out of a £31million deal for herrara at the last minute due to errm, we are not really sure yet.

Grade - D-

only saved from an F by the late deal for Fellani and the fact that we actually signed a CM, though not sure if Moyes will play him there or in an advanced rold at the expense of kagawa who already appears to be being left out. overall, a horrible 3 months off the field for United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Arsenal.

Keeper backup. Not a huge priority, Ches and Fabianski would have done us fine.
    Centre back. Bigger problem, as we only had 3 of them.
    Defensive midfield. Need the steel.
    Winger - only after we let a few players go, but we needed the numbers.
    Striker - either a world class player, or backup for Giroud.

Missed targets...

Where to start. Suarez, Higuain, Benzema, Gustavo, Bender, Ba (don't care about him so much), Di Maria. Oddly no centre halves, we were linked with Sakho but were never in for him.

Players sold/loaned...

Again, where to start. Gervinho, Chamakh, Djourou (loan), Squillaci, Arshavin, Santos, Denilson, Mannone, Coquelin (loan), and a few youth loans like Campbell. Really happy to have got rid of all that deadwood, only Bendtner left now.

Signings
    Sanogo - young, hard to tell so far. Won't feature too much, unless the most handsome man in the league gets injured (please don't).
    Flamini - was unsure at the start, but the Spurs cameo convinced me he's good enough for the job.
    Viviano - a little bit strange, but he has international experience and is better than Fabianski for the second keeper spot. Hopefully he keeps Ches on his toes, as he plays better like that.
    Özil - what can you say. Utterly brilliant signing.

TL;DR...
    We didn't strengthen that much really. Sagna seems to be the centre half backup, and to be fair to him he's been brilliant every time he's played there so far. We have the fullback depth to cover for him, but if Koscielny or Mertesacker gets injured we could be in trouble again. Happy with defensive midfield, we have plenty of good midfielders so Flamini is sufficient there. Winger, Özil covers that even if he doesn't play there, as Santi will go to the left side. As for striker, I'm happy with Giroud, as long as he's fit. Otherwise problems.

Grade...
    B. Would have been a D at best without Özil, as we didn't strengthen the areas required (bar DM and to a lesser extent keeper). But Özil is so good that the team as a whole should play better with him, create more chances (which was an issue last year) and as a result score more goals. Happy in the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Arsenal fan

needed a striker got sanago - E
    Need a dm got flamini - B minus
    needed a defender - NG
    Needed a keeper got viviano - D minus
    Got Ozil - A ducking plus!

Overall a B minus for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Newcastle:

What positions needed strengthening: Full back, center half, wings, upfront

Missed targets: Douglas, Bent, Ince, Thauvin, Aubemyang, Gomis and who knows how many more

Players sold/loaned: James Perch, Danny Simpson, Steve Harper, Shane Ferguson,

Additional stuff: Complete and utter disaster. No other words for it. Ashley has gone and pressed the self destruct button by hiring the much reviled Joe Kinnear as Director of Football. Not a single person wants him anywhere near NE1, let alone in a strong position in the club. He has gone on to embarrass himself, the club and he has SPECTACULARLY failed to even do the one job he was brought in to do, player recruitment. The sooner him and Ashley are gone forever the better.

We are now a complete joke(again) and candidates for relegation(again) thanks to this totally unnecessary decision. The mind boggles.

TL;DR: I'm still fuming about this, apathy has not quite set in yet.

Grade: Z

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    Categories are in red if people wish to use it as a template by quoting it or whatever.

CF and its painfully evident, the fact we've let Lukaku go on loan is stupid for us but good for the lads development.

Another CB would be welcome and an improvemtn on Mikel/Essien would also be needed.

Missed targets...
    Rooney was the big one, we limped in with a stupid bid instead of pushing all summer and bidding high and maybe tempting Utd.

Players sold/loaned...
    Lukaku has gone to Everton, he'll play 30 + games which will be good for the lad.
    Our Brazilian RB has gone to Inter after good promise in pre-season, they're the 2 brightest to watch.

Additional stuff...
    We've brought in Willian, Schurrle, Van Ginkel, Schwarzer and Eto'o while keeping Mata. I'd say we've done ok, bringing in Jose was a big thing and one that will hopefully bring the squad together.

TL;DR...
    We've done enough too put together a team that should see us close the gap on the Manchester teams but time will tell if its a title winning team, I still think we're a CF short of doing damage in Europe and it could be a problem down the line in the EPL.

Grade...
    B

^

• Advertisement

justshane wrote: »

TL;DR...~?

Too long; didn't read.

Basically to summerise all the above headings under a sentence - paragraph. Basically needed for my post for some perhaps :D
    Arsenal.

Missed targets...

Where to start. Suarez, Higuain, Benzema, Gustavo, Bender, Ba (don't care about him so much), Di Maria. Oddly no centre halves, we were linked with Sakho but were never in for him.

Ginter from Freiburg.

Williams from Swansea as well I think, not sure how serious that one ever was.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Arsenal's window is hard to judge; didn't really get the players that were needed but in the end made a signing that could prove to be as influential as signing Bergkamp in 1996. Time will tell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Too long; didn't read.

Basically to summerise all the above headings under a sentence - paragraph. Basically needed for my post for some perhaps :D

Ginter from Freiburg.

Williams from Swansea as well I think, not sure how serious that one ever was.
    Forgot about those two. I'd have liked Ginter, we wanted a young promising centre back so he'd have fit perfectly. Can never have too many Germans! Never wanted Williams, he'd have wanted a starting place and he's nowhere near Mertesacker or Koscielny, or an on-form Vermaelen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Primarily the back line and keeper, general squad depth.
    Sahko/Ilori/Mignolet/Toure/Aspas/Alberto (48m) plus loans for Aly Cissokho and Victor Moses

Mignolet
    Ilori/Sakho/Cissokho

Alberto----Moses
    Aspas

Missed targets...a proper DM and a quality attacking wide man.

Players sold/loaned...Carroll/Downing/Shelvey/Spearing (28 million) Reina/Suso/Robinson/Borini/Assaidi loaned

Additional stuff...a solid window that came in two parts with a somewhat frustrating chasm between the two chasing players who were just a bit above our station while a few potential targets such as Eriksen were apparently never seriously considered, having been on the scouting radar for ages.

TL;DR...Solid window

Grade...7.0 out of 10 (unless they contribute to a top 4 finish in which case 9/10 :) )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Centre half, Left back, centre mid, attacking centre mid, winger, another/backup striker, backup keeper

To this end, we signed Okore, Luna, Bacuna, Tonev, Helanius, Kozak and Steer, for a total sum of around £20m. All under 25, all needing polishing to varying degrees. Some could become very decent, others will likely remain backups. Most recruits were on board by July, which allowed the entire preseason for everyone to gel.

On what we've seen so far, Okore could become a very good player. Luna has already seemingly taken the starting LB spot from Bennett. Regarding the remaining players, we either haven't seen enough to tell (Helenius, Bacuna, Tonev) or haven't yet seen them at all (Kozak)

Missed targets...

Villa keep so shtum on transfers, it's impossible to tell. Belhanda and Kiyotake were heavily hinted at, but never arrived. Though whether they can be termed 'missed targets' is anyone's guess.

Players sold/loaned...

Bent..... loaned to Fulham for the season. Reportedly all his wages will be paid and Villa received £2m of a fee.

Ireland..... loaned to Stoke for the season. No details of the terms. Hopefully they are paying at least half of his reported 80k a week extortion money. Final year of his contract too, so he's effectively gone.

Dunne..... released after contract expired

Bannan..... sold to Crystal Palace for 1.75m

Holman..... released on a free to sign for Al Nassr

Makoun..... not exactly sure what the terms are here, but he's no longer a Villa player and signed for Rennes. Don't know if we got a fee, but jettisoning his wage demands (40k/w) is certainly welcomed.

In total, approximately 300k - 350k per week was removed from the wagebill.

Additional stuff...

Hanging onto Benteke was absolutely huge. He will probably leave next summer, but the following season can now be used to blood in Kozak, who may turn out to be his replacement, or possibly Helenius (though the latter is not exactly the same kind of player, despite being 6"5). Also, by signing him to a new four year deal, we should expect a decent fee when he does eventually leave.

TL;DR...

Got in a load of new young players, held onto Benteke and shifted a good lot of the deadwood.

Grade...

A-

A creative central attacking midfielder would have capped it off for me, but alas it wasn't to be. However, nearly all positions which previously needed improvement were strengthened, a lot of the deadwood was cleared and Benteke will keep banging them in wearing Claret and Blue for at least another season.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Forgive me for ignoring the template!

I reckon our summer can be broken down into 5 categories in which to broadly judge its success. We pretty much had 5 targets as far as I can see.

1) Keep Suarez
    2) Sign a quality centre-back to improve first XI
    3) Sign a quality attacking player (not a striker, a 'forward' I suppose) to improve first XI
    4) Improve squad options
    5) Ship out dead wood

I would say we achieved 4 out of 5, so not bad, but not ideal either.

I believe number 3 we failed on, and the impact of that will be interesting to see as the season progresses. Failure to put away teams and capitilising on dominance is probably the number 1 reason we have been a distance behind the top teams the last couple of years, and I was hoping for a real quality player to play in the front 4. I don't believe Aspas is that. Moses on deadline day was a case of better than nothing, and I'm glad we got him in cheap. However I'm not sure if he's the player to make a real big difference.

Many would disagree, but for me this position was more important than the CB position, and our weakness in it cost us more points than our weakness in CB, so a bit disappointing.

With number 2 it appears we have done brilliantly - depth and quality.

Number 4, we seem to have done well, but we will have to see what kind of impact the likes of Alberto and Aspas have off the bench before declaring this a success. The bench looks better now.

Number 5 I think we did excellent business - we paid for more than half of our summer business getting rid of players who under-performed for 2 years and had no future at the club.

A side note - I'm not sure it was a priority but Mignolet in for Reina looks like it could be an upgrade, and an important one too.

It's hard to judge it - it ended well, and keeping Suarez was huge. The squad is definitely in better shape. We always have January to potentially sign an attacking player, and at the end of the day I suppose Moses is an improvement on what we have.

Also you're always looking at what other clubs are doing - Arsenal signing Ozil was a bit of a kick, because otherwise I would have thought we would have had a great chance to finish ahead of them.

But, overall, content.

7/10

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Morzadec wrote: »
    Also you're always looking at what other clubs are doing - Arsenal signing Ozil was a bit of a kick, because otherwise I would have thought we would have had a great chance to finish ahead of them.

All fur coat and no knickers.

Arsenal's window is hard to judge; didn't really get the players that were needed but in the end made a signing that could prove to be as influential as signing Bergkamp in 1996. Time will tell.

Yeah very strange... you basically went from a 2/10 to a 7/10 in an instant!

Ozil is a fantastic player that will be a joy to watch. But the squad depth in some positions is still very questionable, especially for a CL team, and the team was left far too thin on day 1 of the season

mike65 wrote: »
    All fur coat and no knickers.

It's a nice fur coat though!

For BVB.

CAM
    ST
    LWF
    LB
    CB.. who can cover at RB.

Missed targets...

Dzeko (if Lewy left) and De Bruyne were probably the strongest links for sure of all the players we were linked over the course of the summer.

Klopp and Dortmund CEO Watzke have said Mkhitaryan was our top target though and I'll take their word on it.

Digne, the left back for Lille who is now at PSG was also linked a few times. Not sure if we were really in for him, if we were, gutted we missed out.

Isco, Eriksen, Son, Ginter, Kioytake and Inui were others players linked at various times. Isco was my number 1 target.

Players sold/loaned...

I'll just mention the main ones.

1) Traitor (Dortmund -> Bayern, €37M)

Rabble, rabble and more rabble.

2) Gob****e (Dortmund -> Schalke, €1M)

As above.

3) Bittencourt (Dortmund -> Hannover, €3M)

Disappointed in him. Didn't really stand a chance with Traitor there and then Reus, but his application and dedication can be questioned. Still only 19, so he has time to make a name for himself.

4) Leitner (Dortmund -> Stuttgart, 2 year loan)

Again, disappointed he left but he really does need game time. Hopefully he'll come back all the better for it.

5) Sobiech (Dortmund -> Hamburg, €1.5-2M)

Had no future with us really.

Signings...

1) Mkhitaryan (Shakhtar Donetsk -> Borussia Dortmund, €27.5M)

Ecstatic. Traitor has another level to go over him potentially, but Mkh is a far more polished and seasoned pro. Was my MOTM vs Dortmund last year. Damn intelligent midfielder. Will offer goals and assists, former Traitor didn't offer all too much. Can play deep and out wide as well if needed.

2) Aubameyang (Saint-Étienne -> Borussia Dortmund, €13M)

Was a fan of his from his days in Ligue 1, helped that he was a nice money earner for me. Kills two birds with the one stone in that he can lead the line and play out wide, although much better on the left cutting in then on the right.

3) Sokratis (Werder Bremen -> Borussia Dortmund, €9.5M)

Happy with him. Covers CB, RB and LB, can do a fine job in all positions across the defence. Exactly what we needed really.

Additional stuff...

#FreeShinji

TL;DR...

Delighted how the money was spent in the main, but I'm a tad disappointed we'll have to rely on Schmelzer as much as we will. If teams have capable RW player in their ranks and target at him, he is a weak point for us.

Grade...

B+ or A -

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Left Back
    Needed direct competition for Izaguirre

Centre Back
    Efe Ambrose looks suspect under high balls and other lapses in concentration that have been costly since returning from ACON.

Left Winger
    We have players than can play on the left but we are lacking a player that would give us width on the left, i.e. left footed and direct.

Strikers
    Hooper unlikely to sign a new contract so a replacement for him and other types of strikers needed to give us different options. Suffered badly for a decent target man since missing out on Steven Fletcher.

Signed: Teemu Pukki (FW), Nir Biton (DM), Derk Boerrigter (LW), Steven Mouyokolo (CB), Virgil van Dijk (CB), Amido Baldé (CF), and a few youth players were promoted.

A good few of these players either arrived after long term injuries or picked up knocks quickly and others havent played yet so its hard to assess how good they are yet but van Dijk is back after a broken bone in his foot and looks the brightest prospect so far. Nir Biton looks like he could be a quality signing aswell, hasnt played for Celtic yet. Amido Balde looked impressive against Liverpool in preseason but yet to show any quality in competitive matches, he has been carrying an injury though. Failure to get competition for Izaguirre a worry.

Missed targets...

Aleksandar Tonev, Kevin Doyle, Marko Arnautovic, Artjoms Rudņevs, Alfred Finnbogason, Alex Buttner (loan), Lee Tomlin.

Some of the players bidded for but didnt get. I'm sure there was more but its safe to say that Lennon/Celtic didnt get their no.1 targets.

Players sold/loaned...

Sold: Hooper, Wanyama, Wilson

Released: McCourt, Nouioui, Rogne, Keatings, Murphy

Loans Finished: Gershon, Miku

Loaned Out: Watt, McGregor, Irvine

Additional stuff...

Qualified for UCL competition with a depleted and patched up squad

Stokes, Ledley & Samaras are into their final year of contract, publicly declared on several occasions that they want to sign new contracts but Lawwell hasnt agreed terms with Stokes and not started negotiations with Samaras & Ledley.

Getting top youth prospects regular 1st team football was good to see (doesnt happen enough at Celtic)

TL;DR...

Half arsed squad overhaul with potential for a bigger fallout than happened if UCL qualification wasnt secured.

Grade...

D+

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

For BVB.

CAM
    ST
    LWF
    LB
    CB.. who can cover at RB.

Missed targets...

Dzeko (if Lewy left) and De Bruyne were probably the strongest links for sure of all the players we were linked over the course of the summer.

Klopp and Dortmund CEO Watzke have said Mkhitaryan was our top target though and I'll take their word on it.

Digne, the left back for Lille who is now at PSG was also linked a few times. Not sure if we were really in for him, if we were, gutted we missed out.

Isco, Eriksen, Son, Ginter, Kioytake and Inui were others players linked at various times. Isco was my number 1 target.

Players sold/loaned...

I'll just mention the main ones.

1) Traitor (Dortmund -> Bayern, €37M)

Rabble, rabble and more rabble.

2) Gob****e (Dortmund -> Schalke, €1M)

As above.

3) Bittencourt (Dortmund -> Hannover, €3M)

Disappointed in him. Didn't really stand a chance with Traitor there and then Reus, but his application and dedication can be questioned. Still only 19, so he has time to make a name for himself.

4) Leitner (Dortmund -> Stuttgart, 2 year loan)

Again, disappointed he left but he really does need game time. Hopefully he'll come back all the better for it.

5) Sobiech (Dortmund -> Hamburg, €1.5-2M)

Had no future with us really.

Signings...

1) Mkhitaryan (Shakhtar Donetsk -> Borussia Dortmund, €27.5M)

Ecstatic. Traitor has another level to go over him potentially, but Mkh is a far more polished and seasoned pro. Was my MOTM vs Dortmund last year. Damn intelligent midfielder. Will offer goals and assists, former Traitor didn't offer all too much. Can play deep and out wide as well if needed.

2) Aubameyang (Saint-Étienne -> Borussia Dortmund, €13M)

Was a fan of his from his days in Ligue 1, helped that he was a nice money earner for me. Kills two birds with the one stone in that he can lead the line and play out wide, although much better on the left cutting in then on the right.

3) Sokratis (Werder Bremen -> Borussia Dortmund, €9.5M)

Happy with him. Covers CB, RB and LB, can do a fine job in all positions across the defence. Exactly what we needed really.

Additional stuff...

#FreeShinji

TL;DR...

Delighted how the money was spent in the main, but I'm a tad disappointed we'll have to rely on Schmelzer as much as we will. If teams have capable RW player in their ranks and target at him, he is a weak point for us.

Grade...

B+ or A -

Nothing much to add from my side :)

But Shinji not being signed yet, is a bit disheartening alright :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Leeds

CB
    CM
    CAM
    Wingers
    CF

Missed targets...

According to rumours, among the following (Have only mentioned ones reported on the Leeds thread because there are so many):

Reece Wabara (Could have been useful)
    Adam Le Fondre (Would have loved)
    Gary Mackay-Steven (If playing LW, would have taken. Not for LB.)
    Eric Lichaj (Dream Signing)
    Chris Forrester (Know SFA about him, but we seem to have no wingers so he would have been something)
    Matt Mills (Would have been good for CB depth if not more)
    Gordon Greer (^^^^)
    Kevin Doyle (Would have had him over Hunt, perfect for the division)
    Stephen Hunt (Would have been better than nothing on the wings)
    Chris Burke (Would have been delighted)

Players sold/loaned...

Paul Connolly, Paul Rachubka - Just not up to scratch
    Monty Gimpel, Sanchez Payne - Never going to make it
    Davide Somma, Paddy Kisnorbo - Ruined by injuries, both would have been great players for us.

As for the loans out, the Tuners getting experince is good, but I'm not sold on loaning out Morison. Would have liked him to stay in the squad.

Signings...

Luke Murphy - Very pleased with him. One of our best midfielders already with lots of room to improve.

Noel Hunt - Not the best but a grafter perfectly capable in the Championship. Would rather we didn't have him starting though.

Matt Smith - Raw, but happy to have him. Should grow into his role well I think.

Scott Wooton - Very pleased to have him, I think he's a very solid CB with lots of space to improve.

Additional stuff...

We kept Byram and McCormack.
    And Diouf. Important stuff. Poleon's shining too. That's good.

A few younger players (Thompson, Dawson, Mowatt, Taylor etc) might be in for some gametime but I fear that McDermott will use the deawood in place of them too much.

Speaking of deadwood, we may have shifted Connolly, Rachubka, Kisnorbo and Somma, but lots remains.

Ideally we'd have got rid of Pugh, Brown and Norris, while relegating Green, Varney and Tonge to squad places with further signings. Bigger wages than what we shifted too.

Wings is an issue. McDermott doesn't seem to trust Hall or White, both of whom I like. It remains to be seen where Byram plays and I fear Varney is being thought of as a first choice winger. Would have liked to have had at least one winger in, and also a creative attacking midfielder. It's a big worry when your main sources of creativity in the first team are your best striker McCormack, and then El-Hadj Diouf, Michael Tonge and Paul Green.

We also only have 3 senior CB's. Ross Killock isn't ready and then it's fullbacks filling in there.

TL;DR...

4 good signings in my book but we needed at least 4 more (A CB, CM, Winger and CAM, with ideally another winger on top of that). If you notice it's most of the positions I mentioned at the top of the post it doesn't make for good reading.

Didn't clear out enough dead wood and sent Morison packing when we could have used him. Wing options a worry.

Grade...

B-/C+

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Sunderland:

What positions needed strengthening?

Short answer, everywhere apart from goalkeeper.

Unfortunately, but understandably and deservedly, Mignolet got a move to Liverpool meaning we basically needed to strengthen every single position of a team that was 1 win away from going down last year. Our main areas for strengthening, as they have been for a long time now, were the two full back positions and central midfield.

Missed targets...

Gino Peruzzi (failed medical) an extremely highly-rated right back, but the club decided not to sign him as we needed someone who could come in immediately and his scan showed he had some ligament damage that would take a couple of months to strengthen sufficiently.

Benjamin Mendy was the main left back target and had agreed terms with us before Marseille stepped in with an offer and there was no doubt where he was going when that came in.

Tom Huddlestone seemed to be the main target in the center of midfield, but the club decided he was too expensive at £5m and £40,000 a week and he ended up at Fulham.

So there's the three main targets for the three main areas we needed to strengthen, and none signed. You can probably see where this is going now... :pac:

Players sold/loaned?

Mignolet - Liverpool - £10m
    Sessegnon - West Brom - £6m
    McClean - Wigan - £2m
    Elmohamady - Hull - £2m
    N'Diaye - Eskişehirspor - Loan
    Graham - Hull - Loan

£20m total in

Signings?

Altidore - Alkmaar - £8.5m
    Giaccherini - Juventus - £6.5m
    Mavrias - Panathanikos - £2.5m
    Mannone - Arsenal - £2m
    Karlsson - Goteberg - £1.5m
    Ba - Le Harve - £380,000
    Celustka - Trabzonspor - Loan
    Ki Sung-Yeung - Swansea - Loan
    Borini - Liverpool - Loan
    Cabral, Diakite, Roberge, Dossena - Free

Around £22m total out, not including the unknown agent fees for the free agents.

TL;DR?

Plenty of players in which was necessary as the team needed a complete overhaul, and some excellent signings such as Giaccherini who was a real coup, but while the starting 11 is quite good we do lack quality depth and because the three main positions we needed to improve are all loan/1 year deal players, we're back to the same problem this time next year when they return to their clubs.

This is a team who lost their two best players in Mignolet and Sessegnon (not including Giaccerhini) this transfer window and finished one win from bottom last year, so we can't afford many mistakes.

Grade?

C+.

Easily would have been a B+ if we had signed permanent, quality players in the areas we really needed them, but there you go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

As a Liverpool fan, I can't disagree with Nuri Sahin. I think all the players that left had to go. Most of the players we brought in are improvements. My only question is how much of an improvement are they? With Suarez leaving sooner rather than later, I would have liked to have seen even one star forward being brought in.

Advertisement