Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SUSI: Proof of Independent Residency?

Options
  • 04-09-2013 12:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi I'm in a complicated situation!
    I have applied for a grant and have been asked to send proof of Independent Residency. The problem is I rent from my boyfriend (he owns the house). As I am in no way financially dependent on him I did not mention that I live with a 'partner' in my application.

I now though have no proof of residency as I have no bills in my name (though I contribute) I have no rental/lease agreement, he is not registered with PRTB and I wasn't in receipt of rent supplement etc.
    According to SUSI if I don't have these documents I'll have to reapply as a dependent. I'M NOT DEPENDANT!!!

I can't understand why,when applying for things that, just by having a partner it's assumed you're a 'kept woman'. Sure we could be broken up tomorrow!!!

Please help! :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

See my post here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=86369812&postcount=2

Maybe there's something else in the list that would be acceptable.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Lime

Thanks paperclip 2,

Unfortunately I don't think I have any of the documents they deem acceptable. I do have car insurance policies, medical letters etc with the address on them.

I could try and explain my situation but am worried that by now mentioning that I live with my partner that I could affect my application??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

Lime wrote: »
    Thanks paperclip 2,

Unfortunately I don't think I have any of the documents they deem acceptable. I do have car insurance policies, medical letters etc with the address on them.

I could try and explain my situation but am worried that by now mentioning that I live with my partner that I could affect my application??

If you declare you are living with a partner they will look for details of his income also.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Thanks paperclip 2,

Try any and all documents you have in your name - bank statements, tax certs

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Thanks mango salsa,

Ya I think if I just try including everything I have that looks official though none really proove I've been living "Independently" I asked SUSI if I could include bank statement showing the same amount going into the "landlords" a/c every month along with a letter from him saying I pay that rent, they said No!!

Will I still not mention that landlord is boyfriend?

Thanks so much for help

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Abby19

Try any and all documents you have in your name - bank statements, tax certs

Can you not get a letter from your landlord/boyfriend stating that you are renting a room from him under the rent a room scheme. As such you are a licensee and not a lessor. As a result you have no lease (you could still have a rental agreement). But that you have rented a room from start date to now and list all rent paid monthly.

Thanks Abby19,
    Stupidly of me I wasn't aware of the rent a room scheme until now! After just reading about it there I think that may work I suppose they don't need to know that landlord is boyfriend. Also he will be happy to know he may be entitled to tax relief so thanks a million for advice!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Abby19

Thanks Abby19,
    Stupidly of me I wasn't aware of the rent a room scheme until now! After just reading about it there I think that may work I suppose they don't need to know that landlord is boyfriend. Also he will be happy to know he may be entitled to tax relief so thanks a million for advice!!!

It's not so much tax relief, but it is tax free, and he needs to declare to revenue. You might be able to get rent relief, but it depends how long you have been renting (was closed to new applicants iirc). Details on revenue.ie inder rent a room scheme and rent relief/supplement. If he has been declaring it and paying tax on it then he could be due a rebate.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 new resident

Hi, I am in the same situation! How did you get on? Just sent it in today! Managed to get credit union statements backdated, bins name changed,letter to say I am renting and photocopy of 'rent book'.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 auksauoge

Hey, I'm just wondering how you all got on? Did you hear anything from SUSI yet as I'm in the exact same situation (living with the boyfriend, he owns the house, all the bills in his name, applying as an independent mature student, etc.)? The only option I have left is to send in bank statements, highlighting rent and hope for the best :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭loubian

Don't want to sound, I dunno, babyish but I'm in the same situation but live with my mum n her partner. I'm not dependent on her, hsve had my own job for two years, pay house money for food n bills, would that effect me? I've been wondering about putting my dads address on the application as I'm down there three days a week anyway and he only works part time so I'd be a bit more eligible for the grant. Id change all my bills going to that address. I will be applying for sept 2014.

Advertisement