Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCU oscail IT

Options
  • 04-09-2013 12:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭

Hi everybody,
    I saw some old post, but I would like to know if there is anybody doing currently or recent time, the IT degree on OSCAIL.

I am really not sure, I head that the virtual classroom is not very clear and the subjects are "old".

I work in IT already for many years but I don't have degree.
    I can't go up to 3 evenings a day in university like DIT.
    I was considering Oscail DCU or open university UK.

Which would be best?
    Open university is more expensive though :(

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭silver campaign

Have a look into this,

http://hiberniacollege.com/courses/b-sc-in-computing-and-information-systems/

Fairly intensive, but up to date, good support and suitable for somebody working full time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭BaronVon

Have a look into this,

http://hiberniacollege.com/courses/b-sc-in-computing-and-information-systems/

Fairly intensive, but up to date, good support and suitable for somebody working full time.

He states the Open University is more expensive, whereas the Hibernia College is £4,900 per annum?

OP, I'm doing a Maths degree with the OU. One of the main reasons I choose them was that many people stated the Oscail maths course was old and outdated. And that's for maths, not something as up to the minute as IT!

I'm happy with the OU. As a shift worker, it wasn't feasible for me to be attending evening courses. The OU maths course is completely long distance, with optional tutorials if you need the extra help. I'm not sure about any IT courses they run, but I'd imagine it would be a similar setup!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

jsabina wrote: »
    Hi everybody,
    I saw some old post, but I would like to know if there is anybody doing currently or recent time, the IT degree on OSCAIL.

I am really not sure, I head that the virtual classroom is not very clear and the subjects are "old".

I work in IT already for many years but I don't have degree.
    I can't go up to 3 evenings a day in university like DIT.
    I was considering Oscail DCU or open university UK.

Which would be best?
    Open university is more expensive though :(

thanks

I've looked at pretty much every option. Long distance study seems to suit me best and I'm planning on going with the open univeristy computer science course. Check out the IT certification forum, I suspect that might be a better place for this query.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭jsabina

Mmmmh ok,
    so it looks like that Oscail is not very good.
    I'll try to check in that forum, thanks.
    I don't want to spend too much but neither to waste money!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 446 ✭✭Devi

I’m currently starting second year on the Oscail IT course. Like all courses it has its pros and cons. The main con for me is a module called Human Science, which is mainly the study of how humans interact with technology. Ok that sounds interesting and at some level it is, but it takes up so much of your time that more important subjects suffer as a result. On the other hand though HS teaches you how to critically analyse scientific journals and write reports etc, which for someone like me who never experienced third level education were invaluable tools.

Can’t complain about the first year’s maths, pretty relevant and challenging. You study algebra, probability, linear equations, matrices, trigonometry, and calculus, all of which would be on any CS course. There is even a maths drop in centre for people who are struggling.

On the computer module, in the beginning you learn the basics of what hardware/software is. Then in the second half of the year you learn web development technologies like HTML, CSS, PHP etc.

All in all its not a bad course and has gotten better every year however I do feel there is not enough time give to web development, programming, and networking and too much time given to HS.

• Advertisement

Thanks Devi,
    it is a very interesting experience.
    I am really oriented to Oscail in DCU to be honest.
    I don't have much money to spend and I like the idea of saturday there (if there are any?).

I'll try to read more, to be honest I "just want a degree" as I am working many years in IT but I don't have any official certifications or qualification.
    I am more interested in programming or networking, but I lack math too :P
    I have been webdeveloper for many years so I think HTML CSS won't be a problem.... but hey, better if I can pass an exam without struggling :P

• Registered Users Posts: 42 st1903

I did this course about 10 years ago so probably long enough ago that it might not be relevant, but I did find as someone working in IT at the time, and since that it was outdated like others have said. I actually remember being docked marks on an assignment because I used my own experience to answer a question rather than rely on the source material.
    Also I remember feeling that the step ups in difficulty between the years was quite tough, second year being alot tougher than first. But like I said, that was 10 years ago.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

On a slightly related note - I paid €35 to apply for a course with Oscail about a month ago. Haven't heard anythng since. Anyone know if I'm meant to do anything??

Thanks Devi,
    it is a very interesting experience.
    I am really oriented to Oscail in DCU to be honest.
    I don't have much money to spend and I like the idea of saturday there (if there are any?).

I'll try to read more, to be honest I "just want a degree" as I am working many years in IT but I don't have any official certifications or qualification.
    I am more interested in programming or networking, but I lack math too :P
    I have been webdeveloper for many years so I think HTML CSS won't be a problem.... but hey, better if I can pass an exam without struggling :P

There are classroom/online tutorials about every two weeks. Usually if I have a tutorial on a Saturday ill head over to the maths centre either before or after it to brush on some maths.

This year we are doing a Java module, which I’m really looking forward to because id already be fairly comfortable in Java so that module should be a bit of a coast. Used to have a choice between C++ and Java but nobody was picking C++ so they got rid of it.

Like I said it’s not a bad course, probably not the best money can buy but for the price it isn’t bad.

dory wrote: »
    On a slightly related note - I paid €35 to apply for a course with Oscail about a month ago. Haven't heard anythng since. Anyone know if I'm meant to do anything??

I’d get on to them Monday morning if I was you, courses start back in the next few weeks.

• Advertisement

Ok,
    but there are not other many options apart from Open University right?
    OU seems to be like 15k overall.. and I don't know.. but do you think that is a better recognized university really?
    Let's see, I could get money from my company (only if I graduate)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭BaronVon

Ok,
    but there are not other many options apart from Open University right?
    OU seems to be like 15k overall.. and I don't know.. but do you think that is a better recognized university really?
    Let's see, I could get money from my company (only if I graduate)

Once you earn a qualification, you can claim back 20% of the course fees from Revenue

And do you know how it works for the payments on DCU?
    I've read it is possible to pay per module.
    Usually how many modules is per semester, 2 ?
    I am reading the website but it's quite difficult to understand..
    thanks

Ok,
    I just did the PAC registration and paid the 35 euro fee.
    Now I will need to pay the deposit.

Anybody knows the next steps?
    Module selection? Registration?
    How many modules did you take the 1st year?
    They wrote that 1st year students should take only 2... but it would take 8 years then for the degree :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Seems I missed the boat for registering for my modules with OU so not thinking of Oscail again, either that or wait until February for OU. Realised one day after (had been waiting for finance to be assured) and missed out with OU. Decisions. :(

Ok,
    I just did the PAC registration and paid the 35 euro fee.
    Now I will need to pay the deposit.

Anybody knows the next steps?
    Module selection? Registration?
    How many modules did you take the 1st year?
    They wrote that 1st year students should take only 2... but it would take 8 years then for the degree :D

As far as I remember they send you out your account details next, you log onto moodle and register for the modules. Best thing to do is call them.

It’s really up to yourself in regards how many modules and how much spare time you’ve got? I did 3 modules last year and it was a lot of work, when you think about it 4 modules basically a full time course. One guy I know did 4 with a full time job and kids but he said he would never do that again.

Seems I missed the boat for registering for my modules with OU so not thinking of Oscail again, either that or wait until February for OU. Realised one day after (had been waiting for finance to be assured) and missed out with OU. Decisions. :(

It’s up to yourself, if your hearts set on OU then Feb isn’t that far away. On the other hand if you’re not fussy then by Feb you’d have the first year nearly done with Oscail as the year finishes in May.

Ok I called them and it's crazy as I didn't have an answer to my question but I will solve it.
    I think I will try with 3 modules.. hopefully I will be able to manage.. or it will take me too many years!
    If I fail a module money will be lost right?

Ok I called them and it's crazy as I didn't have an answer to my question but I will solve it.
    I think I will try with 3 modules.. hopefully I will be able to manage.. or it will take me too many years!
    If I fail a module money will be lost right?

Yes but you get to resit the exam.

Oh ok so it means I can try again the exam?
    thanks.. let's see if I can enroll!!!

• Advertisement

Yea you get three assignments and one exam per module. The assignments make up 40 – 50% (depending on module) of your overall marks for the module, however whether you pass the module or not usually comes down to the exam which is held in May. If the mark on the exam is not enough to get you a pass then you can resit the exam in August. Best thing to do is put the work in with the assignments as the exams are quite difficult (3 hours hand wriiten).

wow so if I take 3 modules I will have 3 exams all together in may???
    :O

Yes if you choose 3 modules you will have 9 assignments throughout the year but grouped in 3’s (mid Nov, early Feb and late March) and 3 exams in May. Last year I had exams 2 on the same day, which was hard in one way but handy in another as I have to come from Kildare.

Advertisement