Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Towards more natural/minimal shoes

• 04-09-2013 1:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 648 ✭✭✭

Debates and controversies aside.....

I was in Amphibian King Bray last week. I got a gait analysis done and was recommended a pair of Saucony Guide. They didn't have the colour I wanted and had to be ordered. In the meantime I have been reading quite a bit about barefoot/minimalist/natural running, so much in fact that I have almost changed my mind. At the shop I mentioned that I wanted to transition to a more minimalist style of running and was suggested that I do it gradually, hence the drop from my current Brooks Adrenaline (12mm) to the Saucony Guide (8mm). I am not convinced any more about the choice.

My question is, could I safely go for a lighter, more minimal shoe than the Saucony if I transition from my current Brooks very slowly. I would start alternating my normal runs on the Brooks with very short runs on the new ones to gradually increase the latter. I am in no hurry watsoever and can take my time to see how it goes. I run for fun/fitness.

If you were to recommend me a pair of shoes for this, which one would it be?

Just some background on me: I'm of light build, 5"9 and about 69kg, and pronate slightly (I keep reading this is natural!). I started running in April this year. I have completed 5k, 10k and 10m races and looking to complete a half marathon in mid october then just keep running and taking part in more races. I have not had any injuries so far (fingers crossed), probably because I am lucky, take things easy and try to listen to my body... I know, why fix it if it ain't broke? Still I think my very sloppy, noisy and laborious way of running could benefit from a more natural way of running and I'd like to try it...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Have you looked to any other ways of trying to make yourself more efficient?

Form drills?
    flexibility?

There is no magic pill for things. Shoes might well be one solution but often people ignore other avenues which are worth pursuing also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 648 ✭✭✭inigo

I haven't and I'm not looking for a magic potion. I just need a new pair of shoes (the Brooks are a few years old) and just wanted to buy the "right ones". I'll probably do the Catherina McKiernan's workshop to go with them... Forgot to mention that I already do a bit of yoga and taichi!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Haven't done the Chi running thing myself but I would normally include drills as part of my warm up on quality sessions days

Here are a few to get you started;

http://running.competitor.com/2013/05/training/essential-drills-for-speed-and-efficiency_58730/1

Regarding trying for a more minimal shoe I would advise to not be that hasty as the lower heel drop can have an impact on calf muscles as you can end up eccentrically overloading the calf muscles and creating problems (going to say a 4-6m heel drop means you will be stretching the calf muscles up to 8mm more with every stride that your body has spent years becoming accustomed to). I would always err on the side of caution regarding the transition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

inigo wrote: »
    Debates and controversies aside.....

I was in Amphibian King Bray last week. I got a gait analysis done and was recommended a pair of Saucony Guide. They didn't have the colour I wanted and had to be ordered. In the meantime I have been reading quite a bit about barefoot/minimalist/natural running, so much in fact that I have almost changed my mind. At the shop I mentioned that I wanted to transition to a more minimalist style of running and was suggested that I do it gradually, hence the drop from my current Brooks Adrenaline (12mm) to the Saucony Guide (8mm). I am not convinced any more about the choice.

My question is, could I safely go for a lighter, more minimal shoe than the Saucony if I transition from my current Brooks very slowly. I would start alternating my normal runs on the Brooks with very short runs on the new ones to gradually increase the latter. I am in no hurry watsoever and can take my time to see how it goes. I run for fun/fitness.

If you were to recommend me a pair of shoes for this, which one would it be?

Not to back up the advice you've been given, but you are coming from a relatively structured shoe in the Adenaline which would indicate that you are overpronating a reasonable amount.

If you drop into a minimal shoe, low ramp <6mm and more flexible midsole you are quite likely to cause yourself soft tissue injury which will send you backwards with your running. No matter how slowly we plan to transition, it generally is not slow enough.

I would suggest the safe route of gradually weaning yourself out of the Adrenaline via the Guide which is an 8mm shoe with less guidance & more flexibility (Brooks Ravenna is less structured than the Adrenaline but 10mm). Don't wear these out to the death but instead introduce something like the Brooks Cadence in 3/4 months to 'replace' the Adrenaline and introduce a lower heel (5mm) and slightly more flexibility.

Mix and match the shoes until you find your comfort zone. Far too many people go minimal & find it doesn't suit them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭amber2

I started running over a year ago and at the time decided to try a minimlist running shoe. I eventually settled on the Merrell Bare Access arc which were great but I find the Bare Access Arc 2 even better 0mm drop with an 8mm cushion, you will have to ease yourself into a minimalist running shoe tho, but like I said found these a great start.

• Advertisement

runblogger.com is a great place for shoe reviews and other opinions on minimalist running. would advise not to go to 0mm straight off. try 4 to 6mm drop with some cushion. Saucony kinvara is one such shoe but there are many others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 648 ✭✭✭inigo

Thank you all for what sounds like sensible advice. I'll try be patient and go with the Saucony Guide. Except I'm still waiting for them... :rolleyes:

Advertisement