Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

People on street asking for train/bus fare

Options
  • 04-09-2013 2:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭

Had a couple of odd experiences over the last week with people stopping me asking for money on the street. What made them a bit unusual (for me at least) is they weren't asking for spare change, but for money to get bus/train tickets. In one case - train fare for a couple and a child to Dublin - how much would that be?? 70 or 80 euros?

In both cases, they had a hard luck story. In the one case they'd come to Cork with a friend who was then suddenly taken to hospital so had no way home. In the other, the woman came to Cork but had been attacked and robbed and now had no way home.

They might be genuine, but what made me extremely sceptical is they both had a bit of a spiel before telling me the story. "Hi there, excuse me. What's your name? Who_me? Can I call you Who? Here's the thing..."

Both were fairly pushy. I did give the first guy a couple of euros, but he spotted a tenner sticking out of my pocket "Sure I'll take that tenner". OH NO YOU WON'T! "Ok, I'll take that fiver so". Nope.

Odd that both of these happened within a week.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

Eh, is Cork only getting this old scam now? Every god damn day I get asked for change for the bus or train.

NEVER GIVE IT TO THEM! You'll see them the next day or week asking again but they wont remember you.

Would you ask a complete stranger for change for the bus/train?

End of.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,796 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

They also never seem to be anywhere near the train/bus station...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

This goes on every day in every city and it's always the same people. Don't even let them get started just say sorry i have no money on me and keep walking. If you engage with them and let them get their story started you will find it harder to get away without having to hand over YOUR cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

I had a guy a year or so ago pleading with me in shop I worked in that he had hardly no petrol and had no money on him, he only needed 20 quid to get him home and he promised he'd send me the money . I nearly gave in but as it was 20 mins before I finished I told him to meet me at petrol staton just up street and I'd put some petrol in on my card as I had no cash .

20 mins later I went to petrol station with my camera phone ready and ready to check fuel gauge and surprise surprise he wasn't there.

You'd be very surprised how much money a person could make doing these kind of scams. All it takes is a good actor and a eye for a sucker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Hedgemeister

Limerick Station used to be festooned with these people, always "short of two euro to get home to Macroom."
    They are always well dressed too, and one young guy carried a briefcase.
    So they've moved to Cork City now.
    Bit nearer to Macroom I guess.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭TINA1984

Not a new thing in Cork at all, happening for years. Junky/'holic scum, ignore 'em.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Common enough in London, but have to say I've never seen it here. I'll be on the lookout now!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Sadly fairly common, at least around Kent station.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭lac007

They covered this type of scam on the Real Hustle on BBC.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Living in the city centre I'd meet a LOT of people asking for money, but only lately have I been asked for money like that (50+ euros ?), both times within a week.

(I should add I was once stopped asking for bus fare on the street in Cork by a gorgeous girl, and was quite happy to help out. Even if it was a scam :P )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭mk6705

This happened to me a few times, particularly at the lights on MacCurtain Street over near the train station. Just say "No" and walk off, it's no biggie!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Flesh Gorden

There's a young fella (18-ish) in a trackie who does this very often around North Main Street and Castle Street.

Used to see him on Saturday and Sunday mornings, which also happened to be around the time when people would be coming out of mass and heading back to their cars.

He stopped asking me, but the two times I seen someone give him money, I followed him out of curiosity and he went straight into the Boyle's Sports at the end of the street.

I think there were a few people in the 'characters of cork' thread mentioning an older man wearing a suit doing the same thing and using it for something like scratch cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

If anyone tries that tell them to head to the Garda station in thr bride well or SvdeP on tucked street, they won't be long leaving you alone.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 17 user040913

Tell them that you have super-aids and that everything you touch is infected and it's highly contagious. They won't be long pissing off.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

A few months back I got this guy with a Dublin accent on Barrack st trying it on with one of these stories saying he'd been beaten up and robbed(he hadent a scratch on him).I made my excuses and moved on.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

There's a woman doing it on her own too, she stopped me several times a week over the Summer but I haven't seen her in a couple of weeks now.

Same as the OP, she walked right up to me, "Sorry love, my name is Mary and I need a couple of euro for the bus/a bottle of water in this savage heat, any chance you could lend it to me?"

She'd get really ratty if you didn't stop to talk to her, she walked half way down Oliver Plunkett street before, giving me abuse, saying I thought I was too good to be talking to her :rolleyes: while I mumbled something about being late for work and in a rush.

Then when I said I had no money she said she'd take a loan of my phone instead to call her brother to come and collect her and positively lost the plot when I said no to that too.

She lost interest after a few minutes and moved onto someone else.

I'm pretty sure she was an alcoholic but she was really intimidating, I thought she was going to hit me at one stage! Ran into her by Argos and by the fountain on other occasions. She was scary.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Busted Flat.

who_me wrote: »
    Had a couple of odd experiences over the last week with people stopping me asking for money on the street. What made them a bit unusual (for me at least) is they weren't asking for spare change, but for money to get bus/train tickets. In one case - train fare for a couple and a child to Dublin - how much would that be?? 70 or 80 euros?

In both cases, they had a hard luck story. In the one case they'd come to Cork with a friend who was then suddenly taken to hospital so had no way home. In the other, the woman came to Cork but had been attacked and robbed and now had no way home.

They might be genuine, but what made me extremely sceptical is they both had a bit of a spiel before telling me the story. "Hi there, excuse me. What's your name? Who_me? Can I call you Who? Here's the thing..."

Both were fairly pushy. I did give the first guy a couple of euros, but he spotted a tenner sticking out of my pocket "Sure I'll take that tenner". OH NO YOU WON'T! "Ok, I'll take that fiver so". Nope.

Odd that both of these happened within a week.

The whingeing hoors would have their all Ireland tickets in their back pocket, and looking for a free ride to the Capital.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

I used to live in the city centre and my advice to anyone is look them in the eye and just say 'sorry I've nothing on me' without stopping or slowing. If they ask for anything else or persist, just repeat a version of same. I would be one to give a little change fairly often but not to someone I haven't seen before.

It only happened to me today that as I sat outside having a coffee and talking on the phone a guy I'd never seen before approached me asking for money. You won't be the first or last to not hand over the dough and the only thing you have to deal with is being forced to fib...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

WhiteRoses wrote: »
    There's a woman doing it on her own too, she stopped me several times a week over the Summer but I haven't seen her in a couple of weeks now.

Same as the OP, she walked right up to me, "Sorry love, my name is Mary and I need a couple of euro for the bus/a bottle of water in this savage heat, any chance you could lend it to me?"

She'd get really ratty if you didn't stop to talk to her, she walked half way down Oliver Plunkett street before, giving me abuse, saying I thought I was too good to be talking to her :rolleyes: while I mumbled something about being late for work and in a rush.

Then when I said I had no money she said she'd take a loan of my phone instead to call her brother to come and collect her and positively lost the plot when I said no to that too.

I'm pretty sure she was an alcoholic but she was really intimidating, I thought she was going to hit me at one stage! Ran into her by Argos and by the fountain on other occasions. She was scary.

Surely thats harassment?

Is there not laws on that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Thank God I don't live anywhere near Cork! :pac:
    Yeah, these kinds of people sicken me, normally what I'd do is as they're telling their sob story start playing an invisible violin..
    But no, just say you haven't anything on you and walk away!

• Advertisement

Thank God I don't live anywhere near Cork! :pac:
    Yeah, these kinds of people sicken me, normally what I'd do is as they're telling their sob story start playing an invisible violin..
    But no, just say you haven't anything on you and walk away!

I am a bit ignorant on the rail system, do you have a rail station in Carlow. Just asking.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

I am a bit ignorant on the rail system, do you have a rail station in Carlow. Just asking.
    We do indeed :P
    It's actually right next to my school, there's never (that I've seen anyway) anyone begging around there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

They must have all got the bus down to cork so - they've been doing it here for 20 years. They move in up along the Q & any glimmer of pity or interest & they're there whining at you hand out looking for the coin to drop. Funny thing is, they never get in the bus then. Odd that. It's easy drink or drugs money - far faster than sitting in the cold begging for pence - sure why not name your price & speed things up.

Not even eye contact - no excuses - just say no.
    Or even better No thank you - that confuses them : )

We do indeed :P
    It's actually right next to my school, there's never (that I've seen anyway) anyone begging around there.

Thanks, you are lucky to be living such a distance from Cork. Really aren't we all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Bus to Carlow I got...
    "Carlow? I'd rather sleep rough, so your up already"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

I usually put on my demented face and tell them to F%CK OFF.

Was she a somewhat plain looking one about 30 with her hair tied back and wearing a tracksuit?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Was she a somewhat plain looking one about 30 with her hair tied back and wearing a tracksuit?

Yes! Have you encountered her too?

Yes! Have you encountered her too?
    Yes she tried it on me but I just said no and kept on walking as I've seen her around town a lot with another shower of wasters who appear to be smackheads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭celica00

ha what I would do is offer to go to the shop with him/her and get him/her what they are asking for (bottle of water, train/bus ticket etc)

Advertisement