Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Knock off one of the internal walls

Options
  • 04-09-2013 2:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭

Hi,

I think this is an old topic but i just want to get some more up to date info.

I am planing to knock off one of the internal walls in my house.

it is an L shape wall in the kitchen. inside the L is the dinning room which i want to expend it with the kitchen. i don't think this is a new design.

People are saying that the job is straight forward enough for compdent people however, i will need to get profassional people to do and to provide me a calculation cert to prove the process is safe to do for the current house.

my thinking is that to get a Cert from an proper engineer. then get few compdent people to do the job. So, over all i followed "leagle" requirement and saved a bit money.

Lads/Girls let me know if my thinking is correct and if it is does anyone know any engineers who would do me the cert.

Cheers,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

First off switch on spell check.;)

It really just depends on the walls being load bearing. If it isn't then anybody can take the wall down. If it is load bearing then you will need to put in reinforcement which is more expensive and difficult. Really only pros should do this.

A structural surveyor can tell you and do before during and after checks. You probably can get it for about €300-400.

Any details on the house? Ex-corpo house?

Knock on the wall and if it is plaster board stud it isn't structural. If it is block it may be but if you lift the floor board and look at the joists you can tell if they are resting on anything. If not it isn't structural as a general rule.

There are lots of concrete shuttered walls that are structural too especially in ex-corpo houses

Edit* meant to say the shuttered walls aren't structural in some houses

• Registered Users Posts: 23,529 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Check upstairs and see what way the floor boards run. If the wall goes the same way as the floorboards then its a structural wall as the beams are going perpendicular to both. If its the opposite way then its probably a stud wall and can be knocked.
    Stick an add up on onlinetradesmen.ie and you'll get quotes. Also ask people you know to refer people.

Before anyone starts as them can you get references

• Registered Users Posts: 78,414 ✭✭✭✭Victor

You should consult an engineer.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭mari2222

What do you mean by a "calculation cert" - what are you wanting to get certified?

The size of the RSJ, you need to calculate the weight of the load and the span it crosses. You also need to size the support beams accordingly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

OP - Rather than going by guesswork and internet forum opinion, I'd be getting an engineer and a QS on the case. That way, you're working from facts.

No need for a QS.
    There knocking a wall, the price of the job would not warrant one.

Advertisement