Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Makeup lesson in Dublin?

• 04-09-2013 3:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 482 ✭✭

Despite using makeup for more years than I’d like to admit I still struggle to find a routine that suits me. I’ve thought about booking in at a makeup counter in Brown Thomas or Arnotts but I hate the idea of sitting there bare faced while people walk around. Has anyone ever had a private makeup lesson at home or in a private room? I’m hoping to find someone who can look at my skin tone/eyes/hair and tell me which colours would suit me.

PM me if it goes against the rules of the forum, thanks. :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭bscm

Try YouTube tutorials :) There are literally thousands of them for make-up to suit X eye colour/Y skin tone/Z face shape. Pixiwoo, Tanya Burr, Lisa Eldridge and Wayne Goss are just a few channels that spring to mind.

Otherwise I'd probably recommend going into somewhere like MAC where the cost is redeemable against products. Even if you come out learning very little (or confused), you at least get something for your money. If you are nervous about being barefaced, try the MAC in BT2 Dundrum, there's much less foot traffic there than in Brown Thomas.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭yoginindublin

you can try Make4forever. They do 1 on 1 and its not very busy at their store

• Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭vibrantblue

I agree with bscm. YT tutorials are the way to go. That's how I learned how to wear proper make-up.

Apart from that, I had 2 make up classes in Dublin. One was with Colour Me Beautiful. I'd recommend them if you know absolutely nothing about make up. They'll teach you the basics. Although I didn't particularly learn anything on that one, it was an enjoyable experience and the make up looked great in th end. The lady wasn't patronising at all. I'd say it was such soothing and relaxed experience. And I felt happy I did it. I should add that they use mineral base make up, which I don't really like. But theirs was surprisingly good.

The 2nd one was with LA Creative. And I wasn't very happy with it. I wanted to learn advanced contouring. I explained that I know about the basics of it. Cheekbones, jaw line, neck, hair line, etc. I told the lady that I wanted to learn how to contour according to MY face shape; and how to contour my eyes which are kind of hard to contour due to their shape. In the end, I got 2 snickers bars on my cheeks as contours. I didn't learn any advanced and/or tailored contouring tips that would work for me. The base make up looked so heavy. I was a bit embarrassed walking around Grafton St with that face. The eye make up looked alright though.

In short, keep your money and browse YouTube.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 482 ✭✭ClubDead

Yeah YT videos are great and there are some really talented people on there. My problem is I can seem to get my foundation right, its either too heavy or too light and I can't contour at all. I was hoping for some one who could look at my skin tone, the problems I have etc and tell me exactly what would suit me without the biased of been connected to a particular brand (MAC....). The service that Im looking for probably doesn't exist unfortunately :(

Advertisement