Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Le Chateau Patrick's Street

Options
  • 04-09-2013 3:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭

I cannot get over the terrible experience myself, my brother and my dad had there this morning.

My dad and brother just went in to order some sandwiches and a coffee and water. No sign of the coffee after ten minutes or so so I went in and to tell the young lad behind the bar that my dad was waiting on his coffee and got told "AHHH, I'm on my own!!!"

Then the older guy came out and cleared our table without even asking if we were finished! My brother turned around straight away and told him he should ask if someone is finished before clearing the table and was ignored. My brother went in to pay (which he shouldn't have!) and said it to him again and he started giving my brother cheek! Followed him outside and looked at the glass of water on our table and said incredibly sarcastically:

"NOW, it is OK if I take this water???"

He kept mumbling under his breath at us and had the cheek to add "Yeah, we'll miss ye" when we were leaving.

If there wasn't any seats outside, I doubt they'd do any business with their attitudes.

Having read a few other posts online I know we're not the only ones that have had terrible experiences in there. :mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

I have never gone in myself but have heard plenty of bad stuff about them. I remember my nephews mum went in years ago no for lunch and she did have a small buggy now not a huge one and she said she was never treated so rudly or kind of humilated by the staff. That she took a seat and got ready to order when the staff person came up to her he asked her to leave as there was a sign on the door sayin no buggies. I would say something if it was a group of mothers becuase it is a small place but one is a bit obnoxious of them.. For this reason alone i have never gone in there. When she walked out there was indeed a sign on the door at low very low level as in kids level

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

I worked for that family many moons ago, and I still get mileage out of the tales I can tell about them.

The older guy who works inThe Chateau has been there since at least the 1990s. he is the most miserable fúcker I have ever dealt with. If he hates his job that much, he should have left a long time ago.

They should not be supported. End of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Rudest staff / owners in cork. Riding off location and nothing more. Avoid.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

NicoleL88 wrote: »
    I cannot get over the terrible experience myself, my brother and my dad had there this morning.

My dad and brother just went in to order some sandwiches and a coffee and water. No sign of the coffee after ten minutes or so so I went in and to tell the young lad behind the bar that my dad was waiting on his coffee and got told "AHHH, I'm on my own!!!"

Then the older guy came out and cleared our table without even asking if we were finished! My brother turned around straight away and told him he should ask if someone is finished before clearing the table and was ignored. My brother went in to pay (which he shouldn't have!) and said it to him again and he started giving my brother cheek! Followed him outside and looked at the glass of water on our table and said incredibly sarcastically:

"NOW, it is OK if I take this water???"

He kept mumbling under his breath at us and had the cheek to add "Yeah, we'll miss ye" when we were leaving.

If there wasn't any seats outside, I doubt they'd do any business with their attitudes.

Having read a few other posts online I know we're not the only ones that have had terrible experiences in there. :mad:

That's the owner you were dealing with, legendery.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭bogman

I take it Maura is no longer involved, had great time for her when she was involved, always treated us with the greatest of respect, that was about 15 years ago, used to regularly frequent the place, followed her on to the Vault before drink driving laws and a move just outside the city put a stop to my gallivanting

• Advertisement

She was a two faced tyrant. An absolutely horrible horrible person. Like the rest of their family.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

I have been in and out of the place for years and never had a problem. Thought the two brothers were always fine, a bit odd maybe, but no issues with either of them. I like a particular brand of rum and they got it in for me a few years ago when I was going in there a fair bit. I can see/have seen how they can be a bit bruff with some though.

Nice spot for a quite pint in town. Used to find it hillarious that the code to the toilets used to be written in chalk in random spots behind the bar so regulars knew what code to use to get into the toilets. Thats changed now, they must have been told that kind of thing wasnt on!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

gimmick wrote: »
    I worked for that family many moons ago, and I still get mileage out of the tales I can tell about them.

From what I hear I bet a few of those stories could appear on the "stingiest" thread over in AH ;):rolleyes:

Here is just one.

I was 18. My wage was IR£2.50ph.

I had been serving a table with food and drinks all evening. When they left, they left a £5 under the ashtray. I was clearing the table, picked up the £5 and put it to my top pocket, chuffed. My hand had barely left go when Mrs hand went in, took the £5 back out telling me they do not allow tips and any tips given go to the till to make up for any deficiencies at the end of the night.

So not only was she taking my tip, there was also a suggestion that we were stealing from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Pack of ignorant f*cking ****. I went there one afternoon with a few friends of mine (large men considering I knew them from doorwork) and you wouldn't get the same treatment if you were a dog. Basically the only clientele they want are wrinkly whinging old c*nts up from the country doing the shopping on a Saturday afternoon. The owner is a legendary bastard, and his wife isn't far behind. The people working there are oddballs and the regulars are contrary miserable old f*cks. F*ck that place and everyone belonging to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

You calling gimmick an odd ball?

;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

People who own it are well known cheapskates and misers. Id never touch the place to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Lemag

I've been warned that one ought to take particular care to count one's change there. It's a real pity that an establishment like this seems to be doing well when other businesses elsewhere which are run with more honesty and integrity struggle.

Lemag wrote: »
    I've been warned that one ought to take particular care to count one's change there. It's a real pity that an establishment like this seems to be doing well when other businesses elsewhere which are run with more honesty and integrity struggle.

Even though he always knows what you've given him, he always asks, if you don't remember you could be left short, he usually rounds up the price of the cost of a round, no matter what you give him you'll get 10c. change.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Lemag

aujopimur wrote: »
    Even though he always knows what you've given him, he always asks, if you don't remember you could be left short, he usually rounds up the price of the cost of a round, no matter what you give him you'll get 10c. change.
    The next time one is asked how much they've given they should round it up before telling him ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭Vicar in a tutu

I've always thought it looked very endearing! , don't think I'd bother trying it now though:p

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

I've always thought it looked very endearing!

It's a cute place with a nice atmosphere despite the ownership. I'm far from a regular and despite being given instant coffee on a couple of occasions I have few complaints. I would consider myself well warned at though...

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭all_smilz

went in once and sat to order sandwiches-saw the pure Black under the older fellas fingernails and left. ICK.
    I HATE bad service and I hate dirty hands!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,286 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Totally agree with all the negative comments about this place - swore to never go in there again after shocking service the last time. They are just not very nice in there - unless you're a "regular" I reckon they're not interested

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I used to live around the corner from Reidy's wine vault and we were regulars there. Always enjoyed it, but never quite felt the same love for Le Chateau. Having said that, I know some of the distant family members, and it's not pleasant to read about them in such terms here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Only ate there once and the food was rotten. curry sauce came out of a bisto can and was disgusting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 996 ✭✭✭HansHolzel

Château d'If

• Registered Users Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

It's not called "Le ****hole" for nothing!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Been there a couple of times before and the service from the older guy left a lot to be desired. I ordered a pint of Hoegaarden one time, ten minutes later I'm still waiting for it even though the place is not even remotely busy. When the guy did eventually come back after spending his time talking to a regular, I had to remind him about my pint. So he poured it - No eye contact, no apology for keeping me waiting 10 minutes, no thank you or anything like that. Thought it proper rude. Wouldn't go back.

And I'm glad that bad service like this is being highlighted by people.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 123Turnip

We were in cork for a day this week and had the misfortune to visit this bar for a meal of irish stew and corned beef and cabbage and it was the worst meal we have ever eaten .

• Registered Users Posts: 16,307 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Never been in there, and by the gist of this thread...I never will!

It did strike me as a place that tourists would gravitate to.

They would love to over charge tourists as well. Back when I was there, Kilkenny on draft was kind of popular. If we saw a obvious tourist come in I was instructed to charge £3.50 for a pint of KK or Guinness as they would not know any better. I have no doubt in my mind that they still do the same.

123Turnip wrote: »
    We were in cork for a day this week and had the misfortune to visit this bar for a meal of irish stew and corned beef and cabbage and it was the worst meal we have ever eaten .

I presume you didn't complain, otherwise your post would a lot worse and longer:D.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,307 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

No-one ever complains here, we just b*tch about it after the fact.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 123Turnip

Oh we three women in our sixties did complain but we got nowhere

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement