Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deferring a place

• 04-09-2013 3:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭

Looking into deferring my place for a year, reason being my current situation financially and in terms of life in general, aren't the best :( I would just like to save for a year, or get myself more in order, and then attend next year in a better position. I however have accepted my place through the CAO and have received my documents for registration etc. Is it too late to defer my place? Given classes for first years officially start on Tuesday, it's probably not looking likely :( Any feedback is appreciated

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭thegreatgonzo

You should ring the registration office. They will know for sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 443 ✭✭athlonelad

Ramza wrote: »
    Looking into deferring my place for a year, reason being my current situation financially and in terms of life in general, aren't the best :( I would just like to save for a year, or get myself more in order, and then attend next year in a position. I however have accepted my place through the CAO and have received my documents for registration etc. Is it too late to defer my place? Given classes for first years officially start on Tuesday, it's probably not looking likely :( Any feedback is appreciated
    You have until the end of October to nake up your mind. You have to tell them in writing before that or you are liable for the fees.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭Ramza

Rang the admissions office and I was told it was too late to defer, however the lady informed me if I don't attend first year and re-apply through cao next year to the same course, I should have no problem getting my place next year as I did this year.

My only worry would be if I didn't get accepted next year. I don't think there was too many applying for my given course anyway, and I have higher results than what the course asks for, I just hope I get in next year :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 443 ✭✭athlonelad

Rang the admissions office and I was told it was too late to defer, however the lady informed me if I don't attend first year and re-apply through cao next year to the same course, I should have no problem getting my place next year as I did this year.

My only worry would be if I didn't get accepted next year. I don't think there was too many applying for my given course anyway, and I have higher results than what the course asks for, I just hope I get in next year :(
    I was considering defering my year this year and was told that deadline was end of October. Maybe its different for 1st years. If you are thinking of coming back next year check out if you will be eligible for the back to education grant. If your out of work for a certain length of time you qualify for this and will get your fees paid as well as a grant and also money into your bank account every week! I know it seems almost too good to be true

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭Ramza

athlonelad wrote: »
    I was considering defering my year this year and was told that deadline was end of October. Maybe its different for 1st years. If you are thinking of coming back next year check out if you will be eligible for the back to education grant. If your out of work for a certain length of time you qualify for this and will get your fees paid as well as a grant and also money into your bank account every week! I know it seems almost too good to be true

I am eligible for back to education this year so if I am unable to secure work in the next year I see no reason why I wouldn't be eligible next year :) I had a grant application with SUSI just to get my fees paid. You are not entitled to the maintenance part of the grant if you are on back to education, just the fees part (that's what I was originally going to do this year, but I don't think I'm ready personally to start college yet, if I went I'd probably just drop out from stress :/)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 136 ✭✭LJ82

I am eligible for back to education this year so if I am unable to secure work in the next year I see no reason why I wouldn't be eligible next year :) I had a grant application with SUSI just to get my fees paid. You are not entitled to the maintenance part of the grant if you are on back to education, just the fees part (that's what I was originally going to do this year, but I don't think I'm ready personally to start college yet, if I went I'd probably just drop out from stress :/)

Just want to say that I was told that you are ineligible for the btea if you defer so def check that out as sadly finances can play a big part in these decisions and best of luck with it

Advertisement